Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,141 of 3,454
The forward projection is the first thing I noticed vs. the Tenore. The latter can't dream of that sort of placement. Anyhow, Gnarl should be getting it I today, so hold onto your butts

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,142 of 3,454
The forward projection is the first thing I noticed vs. the Tenore. The latter can't dream of that sort of placement. Anyhow, Gnarl should be getting it I today, so hold onto your butts

That should be interesting. I'm a recent convert to the ER4 cult that Gnarls basically leads, and the treble is much less pronounced here. Looking forward to his thoughts!

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,143 of 3,454
That should be interesting. I'm a recent convert to the ER4 cult that Gnarls basically leads, and the treble is much less pronounced here. Looking forward to his thoughts!

I like the ER4, I just could never get used to the insertion... Perhaps one day I'll give it another go... Also I tend to have headphones that aren't as harsh in the treble as they are. So I tend to prefer phones like the Rockets that are more toned down there but still retain the detail.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,145 of 3,454
  I like the ER4, I just could never get used to the insertion... Perhaps one day I'll give it another go... Also I tend to have headphones that aren't as harsh in the treble as they are. So I tend to prefer phones like the Rockets that are more toned down there but still retain the detail.

Interesting, I don't hear the ER4 as harsh, just a bit spotlit up top. Then again, I'm a bit of a treble lover, so there's that :p. I do have to admit that the Rockets seem to keep all the detail of the more treble-heavy IEMs and cans I have without having the additional treble presences. Again, I think if there's anybody who likes detail but is really sensitive to spiky or harsh treble, the Rocket is going to be a perfect fit. 

I am holding onto mine firmly with both hands!

Until the GoA album drops and blows it right out of your hands, presumably :wink:

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,146 of 3,454

Interesting, I don't hear the ER4 as harsh, just a bit spotlit up top. Then again, I'm a bit of a treble lover, so there's that :p. I do have to admit that the Rockets seem to keep all the detail of the more treble-heavy IEMs and cans I have without having the additional treble presences. Again, I think if there's anybody who likes detail but is really sensitive to spiky or harsh treble, the Rocket is going to be a perfect fit. 

Until the GoA album drops and blows it right out of your hands, presumably :wink:

It probably wouldn't be harsh to me either if I could keep them in my ears for any length of time without feeling pain or discomfort. However I've been inserting other IEMs deeper as of late so perhaps my ears have become more accustomed to it. Regardless, when compared to the Rockets they can be seen as harsh. But yeah, the most I've listened to ER4s in one sitting is 30 minutes. I really should just buy a pair and slowly get myself used to the, if only to have a DF reference pair. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,147 of 3,454
It probably wouldn't be harsh to me either if I could keep them in my ears for any length of time without feeling pain or discomfort. However I've been inserting other IEMs deeper as of late so perhaps my ears have become more accustomed to it. Regardless, when compared to the Rockets they can be seen as harsh. But yeah, the most I've listened to ER4s in one sitting is 30 minutes. I really should just buy a pair and slowly get myself used to the, if only to have a DF reference pair. 

I'm fortunate in that I don't find them particularly uncomfortable with the small triflange tips. But I'm still considering getting custom molds, as I believe you can get them for $100, which seems reasonable (IMO, ofc). Have you looked into customs? Might be a nice end-run around the comfort question.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,148 of 3,454

Tips make all the difference in the world in comfort on the ER4S. A nice little black pair of biflanges gives me a perfectly comfortable deep fit. It may take a lot of searching, but I think there could be a tip out there for everyone (respectively).

Quick initial Rockets/ER4S comparison:I get a minor 8k peak on the Rockets that I don't get on the ER4S. This is using tones, so I could be sure it's 8k and not lower or higher. It's difficult to play with insertion depth on the Rockets to modify this peak. I hate peaks, but this one seems pretty inoffensive so far.

They are overall impressively linear. Vocals tonality is near perfect so far imo. Attack and decay seems okay, but I'm not really getting the sense of 3D space from the imaging. Just preliminary thoughts. More impressions and review on the way.

You can release your butt Skies :p

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #1,150 of 3,454
The forward projection is the first thing I noticed vs. the Tenore. The latter can't dream of that sort of placement.

I'm not really getting the sense of 3D space from the imaging.

Thanks guys, great consistent first impressions.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,151 of 3,454
Thanks guys, great consistent first impressions. :D  

Where's the fun in that? :evil:

gnarlsagan
The 8k peak is a little confusing. I can't get an 8k peak no matter the insertion depth. It's quite literally flat through there, not even a small bump.

Are you using the stock elastomer tips?

Also, do you hear the 5-6k bump?

The lovely part here is that it's Tams set, who didn't appear to get any peak at 8k, afaik. Sigh.

I don't think it would to any large extent personally, but maybe having the bump shifted up from 6 to 8k affects the imaging a bit. It's just very obvious, especially when ABed with the Tenore on my end.

I was listening to a song earlier and could hear from which direction the pick was hitting the strings on an acoustic guitar opening.

Looking forward to hearing more impressions gnarl!

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,152 of 3,454
Thanks guys, great consistent first impressions. :D  

Hahaha

I shared my impressions with V first since he's not in the tour, but not Gnarl, and he notes the same 6 kHz peak, and feels the same in regard to imaging. So uh... I dunno what's up with G man lol

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,153 of 3,454
Where's the fun in that?
evil_smiley.gif

@gnarlsagan
The 8k peak is a little confusing. I can't get an 8k peak no matter the insertion depth. It's quite literally flat through there, not even a small bump.

Are you using the stock elastomer tips?

Also, do you hear the 5-6k bump?

The lovely part here is that it's Tams set, who didn't appear to get any peak at 8k, afaik. Sigh.

I don't think it would to any large extent personally, but maybe having the bump shifted up from 6 to 8k affects the imaging a bit. It's just very obvious, especially when ABed with the Tenore on my end.

I was listening to a song earlier and could hear from which direction the pick was hitting the strings on an acoustic guitar opening.

Looking forward to hearing more impressions gnarl!

Hahaha

I shared my impressions with V first since he's not in the tour, but not Gnarl, and he notes the same 6 kHz peak, and feels the same in regard to imaging. So uh... I dunno what's up with G man lol

Just triple checked treble peak placement with SineGen, and it's definitely 8k, with a slight dip at 6k. The same peak you guys are hearing must just be moved up the FR for my particular ear structure. Usually a deeper fit moves treble peaks further down for me, like with the DBA-02. I can move that peak from around 8k to almost 5k the deeper I go. So it must just be my fit (I'm using the stock clear silicone mediums). But honestly after more listening today, it's such a minor peak, definitely no more than 3dB, that it doesn't bother me at all. I think I'd rather it be at 8k than 6k anyway, since 6k is a little closer to sibilance territory iirc. 

Also, I retract any and all negative imaging comments. I usually listen to the Tenore at a higher volume at the gym, which can help with picking out sound cues imo. Listening to the Rockets at home, I initially listened at a lower volume than usual and didn't pick up as many directional cues. Turned up the volume today and noticed a big difference. Maybe it was my musical choices too, because with Clapton Unplugged and multiple Daft Punk tracks imaging sounds more distinct today. Lose Yourself to Dance has some particularly immersive clapping at about 1:20 that really comes to life on the Rockets. M. Ward's album End of Amnesia has a lot of little percussion sounds scattered all throughout the album, and they all come from their own little corners in the same big cavernous room. Cymbals are definitely more defined than the Tenore (but only with maybe 1dB more emphasis to my ears... I get a very small 8k peak on the that iem as well, go figure) with more realistic clicks and tings coming from very distinct areas. 

Still not sure about the bass. Emphasis is right where I want it, in between the ER4S and Tenore. Body seems mostly solid, opposed to the softer Tenore, but not as solid as the ER4S. Bass evaluation will take more time.

Overall today's listening with the Rockets is going very well. I'd buy them right now if I hadn't just splurged on a new car. Eh but I think we all know how that ends lol. I'm sure my lack of restraint will prevail. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,155 of 3,454
I should add that while imaging is good, I haven't done a direct Tenore comparison yet. Been listening solely to the Tenore for a while though. Should be interesting.

The Rockets are very good at hiding flaws. It might take a while to scope them out, just like on the Tenore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back