Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #1,126 of 3,454
  The entry point of the cable to the IEM is actually quad anchored as Dale mentioned before, I don't think it'll be a failure point on the phones.

As I mentioned previously, that was just my gut reaction, hopefully time will confirm you're right but if not the warranty will have people covered.

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did you ever try removing the tritabs? I couldn't get along with the tritabs and the medium tips but the small tips without the tritabs was very, very comfy.

Yes, I tried taking the tri-tabs off, there wasn't much of a difference, if anything it was a little worse. Ultimately though it was the insertion depth required that was the real deal killer for me, it was a fairly minimal investment in the grand scheme of my audio gear so I didn't have any intention of selling them but after trying them I knew I wouldn't be able to use them so no point in keeping them around. They might as well go to a home where they'll be appreciated and used.

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for sound staging, bass... Yeah, there will be other phones that will overtake the Rockets in sheer dimensions, but the actual imaging within that space? The Rockets simply excel in that area, and best many, many pricier phones in that regard. It's very vivid to my ears. I'll concede that the bass could do with a bit more body/sustain to its note as what's there can sometimes feel just a touch indistinct due to how fast the notes subside, but that aside, the bass is definitely quality, and very clean. 

Just my thoughts, but we'll get a bevy of new impressions very soon from a couple of real hard-asses 

Overall balance and the sense of space would be higher on my list of priorities and those are areas the 750i's meet my personal preferences more. The Rockets do have a lot going for them though and I have no doubt that others will prefer them.
  Hope u made a bit of a profit on these.

No, I didn't make a profit, nor was I looking to. After the international shipping charges ($30) and the taxes and handling fees ($25.08) I'll have spent about $155 so I expect after shipping to the new owner I'll lose a bit.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #1,127 of 3,454

And I wouldn't confuse marketing hype with real world experience.

Time will tell just how durable the Rockets are but I've had my RHA's for quite some time now and I continue to be impressed with not only their sound but their durability and overall build quality. The Rockets build quality seems nice enough but side by side with the 750i's the Rockets felt a bit more fragile, I'd be less inclined to just throw them in my computer bag without a case like I do the 750i's. I found the way the cable goes into the IEM a little worrisome and I didn't love the plastic overmolded jack which seems like it will be a bit too thick for some phone cases. I prefer the RHA's cable which is a unique, well thought out design with build quality reminiscent of pro gear. That's not to say the Rockets are bad, this is just my personal gut reaction without long term use, again, time will tell.

Yes, the rockets have a mic option but it was a fairly expensive option and doesn't have a remote which is actually what I tend to use it for the majority of the time. The remote/mic wouldn't be a deal killer for me but it's certainly nice to have.

Hehe I've yet to see another IEM playing music in a cup of water and survive a good swing from a hammer.

Quick FYI though, the warranty is nontransferable and is only applicable with the original owner.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,128 of 3,454
  Just a funny thing. I was actually worried about the "small" R/L indicators I have seen in previous pictures. Noting that they seemed a bit large and wondering how they would look in person. So I get them today and find that they are missing entirely! A binaural recording later and I now know which side is which with a reference point so I remember [The branded Y splitter needs to be facing me for proper orientation]. Now I am conflicted... Do I wish to just use that for my reference and leave these babies unmarred and very minimalistic... or take a small red and blue needle tip paint marker and make my own smaller less noticeable bands...?

Personally, I've ordered very small rubber bands (for orthodontics) in several colors, as well as foam tips in red and blue (that I intend to try and use under the regular tips).

And I wouldn't confuse marketing hype with real world experience.

The generous warranty is proof that Aurisonics truly believes in the Rockets' resilience. That's more than just marketing hype.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #1,129 of 3,454
  The generous warranty is proof that Aurisonics truly believes in the Rockets' resilience. That's more than just marketing hype.

RHA's warranty is 3 years, that's not too shabby either.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #1,130 of 3,454

Personally, I've ordered very small rubber bands (for orthodontics) in several colors, as well as foam tips in red and blue (that I intend to try and use under the regular tips).

Oh! that's a good idea. Let me know how that goes. For right now though. I'm alright without the Red and Blue indicators.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #1,132 of 3,454
   I have a TMJ related issue with my left ear, anything that needs to go too deep will tend to cause pain and the TMJ to flare up, it's one of the reasons I gave up on the idea of customs.

On the subject of customs - I understand that an IEM that requires a deep insertion will set off a painful bout of TMJ - but I think there is a difference with a deeply inserted IEM and a deeply inserted custom. A universal IEM has a tip that expands to fit the ear canal and therefore applies pressure on the canal walls to stay put - and that can cause pain to many, even those without the jaw condition you describe. Whereas a custom properly made just needs to be inserted and typically (with proper impressions) doesn't exert as much pressure to stay in place - in fact a relatively "loose" seal is preferable as the ear typically will warm up and wrap around the custom. Could be why many say that they forget they are there....

Just sayin.....
wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,134 of 3,454
  On the subject of customs - I understand that an IEM that requires a deep insertion will set off a painful bout of TMJ - but I think there is a difference with a deeply inserted IEM and a deeply inserted custom. A universal IEM has a tip that expands to fit the ear canal and therefore applies pressure on the canal walls to stay put - and that can cause pain to many, even those without the jaw condition you describe. Whereas a custom properly made just needs to be inserted and typically (with proper impressions) doesn't exert as much pressure to stay in place - in fact a relatively "loose" seal is preferable as the ear typically will warm up and wrap around the custom. Could be why many say that they forget they are there....

Just sayin.....
wink_face.gif

It was actually my JH13Pro CIEM's that caused me the most problems. I did have some fit issues with them as well though and that's the other reason I gave up on customs. Six months and a couple of hundred dollars shipping back and forth 5 or 6 times before finally giving up was incredibly discouraging.

Uh? No, I didn't say it was.

In the context of your response and the conversation from which you quoted I felt it was relevant.

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,135 of 3,454
Particularly in light of the treble, I can see where elnero is coming from. After having listened to these things religiously every day (literally) since I received them, I'd probably summarize them thusly: they're a perfect IEM for someone who likes a well-balanced, generally neutral sound, but who is sensitive to sibilance or treble spikes. As a bit of a treble-head myself, I wish it was a little more open and tipped-up in the FR. At the ~$300 price point, they should be very competitive on sound alone, and when you factor in the build, size, comfort, ability to stay in one's ears, and liquid resistance, they are going to be absolutely killer for some people. 

Ultimately, they make a very attractive value proposition at their retail price point, but ultimately won't compete on SQ alone with the ASG-2 and other IEMs on that sound/cost level-- nor were they meant to. 

JMO, natch. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,136 of 3,454
Personally I love the look of the RHA, found them quite sexy.

Is it true that rockets are waterproof? Read that somewhere...

When I was at Aurisonics HQ I remember Dale dunking a pair in a cup of water and listening to the music it played. If the sonic demo I had now was fully waterproofed I'd make a video. I'm rather tempted to make a video of the ROCKETS taking a swing from a mallet.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #1,138 of 3,454
  Alright, so after having a few solid hours on these guys and going back and fourth between them and the RE400s I think I have some solid impressions...

The soundstage is more than I expected. Honestly I didn't expect much from the design, small chambers and no breathing hole for the dynamic speaker usually doesn't bode well for soundstage. Happily this was not the case. I listened to quite a few classical albums and some Dr Chesky recordings to test this. While other headphones perform better (unfair comparison to ASG-2 aside), like the RE400, these have a realistic and quite adequate sound stage. And though I find the RE400s do have an edge, it isn't a large one. The ASG-2s have, naturally, a far better soundstage but that is an unfair comparison. 

Bass - Honestly these were at first rather underwhelming coming from the ASG-2 and even the RE400s seemed to perform better. That was my initial impression, and why I didn't want to say anything because quite simply that is wrong. Those two may have more bass than the Rockets, but the Rockets have quality bass. Actually, the ASG-2 has both quality and quantity. The bass on the RE400s seem looser compared with the Rockets. Mind you it isn't something I'd have noticed without going back and forth, and not without listening to just about everything. It is honestly resolving and tight. I'd say that these have the tightest bass of any in ears I own currently.

Midrange - ASG-2s are still king. I really can't say that enough, to me the ASG-2 are among the best midrange phones I've ever heard. That said, you can tell this is the same company. The presentation is very similar on the Rockets. The vocals are very lifelike and present. Nothing sounds off about the midrange, they might be a touch midrange forward, but I really can't say that with any conviction. Really these phones are pretty much flat. Compared to the RE400... that is tough... The only thing I can say is that I like how vocals are presented on Rockets more than the RE400s. 

Treble - These obviously follow the Aurisonics tradition of non-fatiguing treble. This is something I rather appreciate, because I tend to listen for long periods of time. The quality and detail is very good. The layering was great and you could clearly make out everything. I haven't tried with exceedingly busy songs but I don't forsee them seeing much trouble at all with those songs. Guitars have a nice crunch to them, and though the RE400s are sharper in the treble I don't feel I'm losing anything from them. 

Overall these are enjoyably flat. I don't have anything that is perfect flat of follow a DF field or anything like that. Compared to the RE400s I'll take these any day of the week, and are easily better everyday headphones for me. I didn't expect these to take the place of the RE400s as my out and about in ears, but it looks like it will happen that way. I had originally intended these to be my workout and running phones, but that is no longer so. I really can't say if they compete with any top tier as I can't comfortably make any comparisons as all my TOTL listening has been too far gone and the closest I have are the ASG-2s. These just perform well on all music. 

kind of a mixed bag for me as the re-400's are what i'm upgrading for and i was hoping for a phone with perhaps a touch more bass than the re-400's. i love the re-400's but on some tracks when i'm expecting some slam or some rumble it just kind of fizzles. but maybe the uptick in quality will make up for it. otherwise they do sound like a more durable tick upwards overall from the re-400's, as my left earpiece is going in and out now, but at least my re-400's lasted longer than a lot of people's on head-fi, haha.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,139 of 3,454
 Alright, so after having a few solid hours on these guys and going back and fourth between them and the RE400s I think I have some solid impressions...

The soundstage is more than I expected. Honestly I didn't expect much from the design, small chambers and no breathing hole for the dynamic speaker usually doesn't bode well for soundstage. Happily this was not the case. I listened to quite a few classical albums and some Dr Chesky recordings to test this. While other headphones perform better (unfair comparison to ASG-2 aside), like the RE400, these have a realistic and quite adequate sound stage. And though I find the RE400s do have an edge, it isn't a large one. The ASG-2s have, naturally, a far better soundstage but that is an unfair comparison. 

Bass - Honestly these were at first rather underwhelming coming from the ASG-2 and even the RE400s seemed to perform better. That was my initial impression, and why I didn't want to say anything because quite simply that is wrong. Those two may have more bass than the Rockets, but the Rockets have quality bass. Actually, the ASG-2 has both quality and quantity. The bass on the RE400s seem looser compared with the Rockets. Mind you it isn't something I'd have noticed without going back and forth, and not without listening to just about everything. It is honestly resolving and tight. I'd say that these have the tightest bass of any in ears I own currently.

Midrange - ASG-2s are still king. I really can't say that enough, to me the ASG-2 are among the best midrange phones I've ever heard. That said, you can tell this is the same company. The presentation is very similar on the Rockets. The vocals are very lifelike and present. Nothing sounds off about the midrange, they might be a touch midrange forward, but I really can't say that with any conviction. Really these phones are pretty much flat. Compared to the RE400... that is tough... The only thing I can say is that I like how vocals are presented on Rockets more than the RE400s. 

Treble - These obviously follow the Aurisonics tradition of non-fatiguing treble. This is something I rather appreciate, because I tend to listen for long periods of time. The quality and detail is very good. The layering was great and you could clearly make out everything. I haven't tried with exceedingly busy songs but I don't forsee them seeing much trouble at all with those songs. Guitars have a nice crunch to them, and though the RE400s are sharper in the treble I don't feel I'm losing anything from them. 

Overall these are enjoyably flat. I don't have anything that is perfect flat of follow a DF field or anything like that. Compared to the RE400s I'll take these any day of the week, and are easily better everyday headphones for me. I didn't expect these to take the place of the RE400s as my out and about in ears, but it looks like it will happen that way. I had originally intended these to be my workout and running phones, but that is no longer so. I really can't say if they compete with any top tier as I can't comfortably make any comparisons as all my TOTL listening has been too far gone and the closest I have are the ASG-2s. These just perform well on all music. 

kind of a mixed bag for me as the re-400's are what i'm upgrading for and i was hoping for a phone with perhaps a touch more bass than the re-400's. i love the re-400's but on some tracks when i'm expecting some slam or some rumble it just kind of fizzles. but maybe the uptick in quality will make up for it. otherwise they do sound like a more durable tick upwards overall from the re-400's, as my left earpiece is going in and out now, but at least my re-400's lasted longer than a lot of people's on head-fi, haha.

IMHO, it more than makes up for it. The RE400s weren't bass monsters to begin with and they are really only a bit more bassy to my ears. But the quality of the bass on the Rockets easily exceeds the re400s. The only thing I wish the Rockets had more of is sound stage. Again, it isn't that they are inadequate, it's that I'm used to bigger sound stages.

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,140 of 3,454
IMHO, it more than makes up for it. The RE400s weren't bass monsters to begin with and they are really only a bit more bassy to my ears. But the quality of the bass on the Rockets easily exceeds the re400s. The only thing I wish the Rockets had more of is sound stage. Again, it isn't that they are inadequate, it's that I'm used to bigger sound stages.

The presentation is definitely forward and somewhat intimate, but it has the ability to throw cues waaaay out, both in front and straight out to the sides. And the layering is phenominal.

I usually like big more distant stages too, but this works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back