Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #76 of 3,454
   I feel like they are allowing us to say our peace and I am going full throttle. Not going to pass up on the opportunity. 

Awesome!

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #78 of 3,454
I believe all the cables Aurisonics will be making will be smartphone case friendly. This is one of the reasons have haven't used a case on my iPhone this past year.

Nice.

I actually used a hand piece to bore one of the cases out :rolleyes:

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #79 of 3,454
I feel like I don't have to worry about the sound because these guys know their ish. Im just worried about the little things that drive me crazy about iems. I've owned several of the stalwarts here at head-fi:

Audio Technica ck10 (x2) - plug connector damaged on both accounts. The strain relief just wasn't on par with the rest of the build.
JVC HA-FX700 (x4) - love/hate relationship with these. Housing is just soo damn big.
Fischer Audio DBA-02 - chin slider did not hold...ever.
Yamaha EPH-100 - housing nozzle was soo fat, a good insertion was impossible for those with small ear canals.
Hifiman RE-400 (x3) - crap cable. They did not listen to feedback given for their previous models. Really missed out on the opportunity to dominate the discussions on the forums.
Hifiman RE600 (x2) - same as RE-400 but with weird plug extender.
JVC HA-FXT90 (x2) - driver flex
Sony XBA-30 - huge housings. 
Future Sonics Atrio MG7 - painful housings.

I want to put this obsession for the perfect commute companion to rest. At least for a few years. My wallet is on notice.  

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #80 of 3,454

Actually there are plenty of full sized without replaceable cables over 200. It would be nice but not a deal breaker for me if it's not detachable.

X2

Vsonic vc02 has a user replaceable cable. It's pretty tiny. I think it's conceivable. I feel like they are allowing us to say our peace and I am going full throttle. Not going to pass up on the opportunity. 

That one always scared me. It looks way too possible that it could come off and leave the housing stuck in your ear.

And bingo, that's what happened in many cases. Personally, I find the Head-Fi obsession with detachable cables a bit exaggerated.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #81 of 3,454
I believe all the cables Aurisonics will be making will be smartphone case friendly. This is one of the reasons have haven't used a case on my iPhone this past year.

Yes as SGS says, for sure we have a right angled very rugged step type connector that allows it to plug into recessed case openings on you playback devices. It is Gold plated as well.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #82 of 3,454

And bingo, that's what happened in many cases. Personally, I find the Head-Fi obsession with detachable cables a bit exaggerated.

We really looked at this hard. Having built Military communication in-ear systems for fighter aircraft that could not fail, ever, I think we have a sound design with this. We custom made the internal strain relief that is crimped with a Military style four way crimp onto three layers of Kevlar in the cable. One Kevlar layer is also pinned beside the driver internally to add an additional layer of strength. The exit of the cable is highly chamfered to keep any stress off the cable when bent to an extreme angle. I'm sure once we have the video done showing off the cable you will see what I mean by strong and durable.

All that being said we have no plans for removable cables on ROCKETS as that would most definitely reduce the reliability of them. Remember ROCKETS are built like a freakin' tank. We wanted to make something remarkable in every aspect from the size, fit, reliability, comfort, and sound.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #83 of 3,454
  I feel like I don't have to worry about the sound because these guys know their ish. Im just worried about the little things that drive me crazy about iems. I've owned several of the stalwarts here at head-fi:

Audio Technica ck10 (x2) - plug connector damaged on both accounts. The strain relief just wasn't on par with the rest of the build.
JVC HA-FX700 (x4) - love/hate relationship with these. Housing is just soo damn big.
Fischer Audio DBA-02 - chin slider did not hold...ever.
Yamaha EPH-100 - housing nozzle was soo fat, a good insertion was impossible for those with small ear canals.
Hifiman RE-400 (x3) - crap cable. They did not listen to feedback given for their previous models. Really missed out on the opportunity to dominate the discussions on the forums.
Hifiman RE600 (x2) - same as RE-400 but with weird plug extender.
JVC HA-FXT90 (x2) - driver flex
Sony XBA-30 - huge housings. 
Future Sonics Atrio MG7 - panful housings.

I want to put this obsession for the perfect commute companion to rest. At least for a few years. My wallet is on notice.  

I really like this post as it is very telling of problems others have faced I'm sure. I believe all of your issues have been addressed with ROCKETS including the cable slider. Ours is very refined and I am sure many will like its design. Our new tips are also hand poured platinum cured silicon and we are making some that are correct in size and shape for smaller ears as the younger crowd should find ROCKETS very appealing as well.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #84 of 3,454

Big yes to the last one!  Big yes to the last one!  I hope you're reading about Dale...  That definitely needs to happen!  I'll reiterate because to the consumer (non-pro, this is a deal breaker often): A plug that fits through a smartphone case!  It's so important that I'm going to add it into my above post too!

Already done!

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #85 of 3,454
  Very good question. I think we will probably make that one of the reach goals during kickstarter campaign. What other options do we need to look at?

Bigger tips. With nearly all other IEMs I own (all but one, in fact: the Atrio), even large tips are too small for me to get an easy seal, or one at all. Same with the large Comply foam tips: They're just too small. Be the hero of people with big ear canals! THINK BIG!

Also, be frank as to the Rocket's tuning. You can't promise neutrality and big bass, for instance. Your video does seem to promise that the Rocket will make everyone happy in all situations, but that's simply not possible. Some like neutral IEMs, other prefer bassy ones, or sparkly ones, etc. An IEM ideal for a vocalist onstage won't be ideal for a sound engineer in the studio, or for an audiophile. Etc.

I have owned over 15 pairs of iems, some for years, and might have damaged a cable only once, after years of use. 

Well, I've not damaged a lot, but those I did damage all failed at the juncture of the cable and the minijack, like my HF5. Oh, and I had to have my Bluebuds X replaced twice, and twice the problem was with the cable (the microphone, the first time; a button, the second time).

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #86 of 3,454
  I really like this post as it is very telling of problems others have faced I'm sure. I believe all of your issues have been addressed with ROCKETS including the cable slider. Ours is very refined and I am sure many will like its design. Our new tips are also hand poured platinum cured silicon and we are making some that are correct in size and shape for smaller ears as the younger crowd should find ROCKETS very appealing as well.

You are awesome good sir. I will take your assertion on the cable with good faith. I am already sold and got my niece just as excited. Can't wait for January 3rd. Cheers.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #87 of 3,454

Big yes to the last one!  Big yes to the last one!  I hope you're reading about Dale...  That definitely needs to happen!  I'll reiterate because to the consumer (non-pro, this is a deal breaker often): A plug that fits through a smartphone case!  It's so important that I'm going to add it into my above post too!

Already done!

Awesome!

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #88 of 3,454
May we ask what kind of sound signature these will have (assuming it hasnt been addressed. If so, sorry!)

I assume warmer sound since its more "for the massses"?

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #89 of 3,454
  5.  It looks like you've got a new style of tip that is sort of concave in shape...

I noticed this as well. They look like a silicone tip, I have an allergy of sensitivity of some sort to silicone so I can only use foam tips, are there any such items included? If not are there any Comply tips that will fit?

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #90 of 3,454

I noticed this as well. They look like a silicone tip, I have an allergy of sensitivity of some sort to silicone so I can only use foam tips, are there any such items included? If not are there any Comply tips that will fit?

Same actual nozzle diameter as our ASG series so the larger comply tips should work no problem. Will get them certified for comply tips soon also if you want to use foam. Tips you have used in the past may say silicon but may not actually be depending on where they were manufactured. Ours are medical grade real silicon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back