Aune S17 pro
Nov 28, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #422 of 2,360
I have noticed that the "overheated" is only on xlr port, if I use 6.3mm or 3.5mm the temp decrease and fixed until 66 Celsius
If you can use XLR port too: How do you perceive sound difference between XLR and 6.3?

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #425 of 2,360
My HE6se v2 has never sounded better than on the S17 Pro at volume 44. Never experienced clipping or distortion with any headphone on any realistic volume level.
Disclaimer: I may be half deaf due to too many concerts without ear plugs.. It definitely has 'enough' power to get them loud, but it's definitely not the best or most ideal amp for those few headphones: 1266, HE6, Tungsten, Susvara.

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #426 of 2,360
My unit runs at 63C at idle on 100ma with the room at 16C. High or low gain is the same. Sitting on my desk with nothing else near it. It doesn't change much when playing. Maybe 64C. It is sitting all by itself with nothing else near it. The Aune S17 should come with optional tall feet. It will recover to 53C on 50ma after a few minutes and then down to 45C after a few hours. It does sound better on 100ma.
To comment on temps. My unit is usually sitting at mid-50s, 54-56C usually. That's living in the hot part of Australia, with ambient temperature ranging between 23-28C in my room. I haven't seen it go above 60 even in 100mA high gain, volume near max with my 1266 TC.

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #428 of 2,360
Gustard A26 currently, I think 5V output balanced from memory?
That's more than 'normative' 4V. You probably really require much louder listening levels. But I agree that power hungry planars, when underpowered, may sound enough loud, but they don't sound as they could - they are for example not able of fully articulated impactful and clean bass.

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #429 of 2,360
To comment on temps. My unit is usually sitting at mid-50s, 54-56C usually. That's living in the hot part of Australia, with ambient temperature ranging between 23-28C in my room. I haven't seen it go above 60 even in 100mA high gain, volume near max with my 1266 TC.
So it looks cooling is designed enough efficiently for uninterrupted 100mA playback, but some units have a cooling issue.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #430 of 2,360
down under flute music, lessgooo..!!

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #434 of 2,360
Disregarding the issues with the jumping volume control and lack of total gain in my malfunctioning unit (how is it that I am normally listening to efficient Ananda Nano at settings above 56 out of 63? with either of 2 dacs?), my Aune S17 sounds really good. Wide, deep sound stage with nice air. good detail, in fast attack and reverb tails. great control and extension in the bass. Fleshed out instruments and vocals with clear separation. I was however inclined to build a slow roll in of a few db of high treble lift eq starting above 7k to bring up the air and snap of drum kit compared to the brighter sound of the amp section of the IFI Zendac2.

Comparing the gain and bias settings, It sounds noticeably better on low gain. Slightly more spacious and blacker between the the images. High gain brings the vocals and center image fatter and more forward in the mix with slightly less balance of the detail to the far edges. There is only about 4.5 db difference in matched level between high or low gain on my amp.

There is much less difference between 100ma and 50ma and is most noticeable on material with big transient peaks which hold their substance and separation better on 100ma. Less dynamically demanding tracks would be very hard to AB the difference. I measured the draw from the wall at 27 Watts on 50ma and 38 Watts on 100ma. It didn't really change between playing hard or at idle. Maybe 1 Watt.

I am going to send my S17 back to wait for a few months until Aune tells us they have the bugs worked out (my unit also arrived with a cut in the item presentation box which all audiophiles know knocked a substantial amount off of the resale value right off the bat which is reason enough for a return and reorder in any event). And have ordered an Topping A90D to have on hand in the meantime. To compare. And as a back up. One for the other. Since they both have a questionable reliability right now. I wish there was a way to just tell the Aune store at Amazon USA that i would be happy to keep this S17 and save them the trouble of taking it back to refurb or scrap it, if they would give me a partial refund. I am a mad scientist DIY Audio modifier for 25 years and would love to diagnose these issues and see how much even better it can sound with some DIY mods even if the volume control would take the output of the relays off the board to a few big steps through even better sounding discrete resistors with fine control via the Foobar player Which I am already using in small amounts anyway. Bypass or replace any of the Wima caps in the direct signal path with full size foil types.

If anyone has one of these faulty S17 they are stuck with and is tired of the issues, I would be happy to buy it for $400.

I fully expect Aune to reduce the pricing of current in stock S17 to $600 to clear them out in advance of a rapid issuance of a V2.

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #435 of 2,360
However by putting four aluminum feet 4cm wide and 2cm high and placing it on a raised perforated aluminum grille, my Aune doesn't go above 62 Celsius, all balanced, 100mA, high gain, with all headphones. Aune could therefore simply put much higher feet. For me the discussion ends here. I no longer have any kind of problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back