Aune S17 pro
Oct 8, 2023 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,219

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone heard this?

It is seemingly an inexpensive high end amp.
Built of "high quality" Chinese components.

Perhaps there is a reason there is nothing said about it anywhere. Too good to be true?

Oct 8, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 2,219
Looking for reviews as well, nothing so far being new launch perhaps? The warm sound signature is the attraction on my end, the only place I have seen is few comments was from Sandu at Sound News in his Arya and Topping A70 Pro reviews. I pasted his comments below.

"I’ve got another pleasant surprise from the newest Aune S9C All-in-one combo, but their S17 PRO felt like an end-game amplifier for the Arya Organic, further stretching their stage and infusing an extra dose of dopamine."

"I would upgrade your headphone amp first and particularly for the Sundara, I would use something warmer and smoother sounding. Take a look at the newest Aune S17 Pro that IMHO is the best HP amp below $1K."

Oct 8, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 2,219
Okay. That does say a lot. Best under $1000.00. Endgame? His statement negates itself therefore.

I suppose all is relevant. The Arya Organic are $1299.00 headphones. I am then guessing that the HD800 and certainly the Utopia22 will benefit from better.

Of course Aune does make it seem as if it is an end game amplifier. Period. Everything for the most part is built to a price point. Most certainly Chi-FI is.

To that accord I am guessing that the SMSL VMV P1 may Indeed be better sounding than the S17 pro. Do you feel that is probably an accurate assumption?

Regardless, it does indeed seem like a lot of amp for the money.

They have to cut corners somewhere to be at a certain price. They make mention of it having a JRC volume control. When it comes to all of it's other components they simply state "high quality" Which quite Obviously means it is all Chinese. I am sure if it had things like Vishay and Elna or Nichicon they would most certainly say so

As with Most Chi-Fi I am sure it's sound quality exceeds it's cost. With that being said it does appear that there exists better Chi-FI and certainly better amps in general.
I would imagine it being good at it's given price. End game though? Perhaps to some. Maybe not in the true sense of the term however.

I personally would be wary to be the Guinea Pig of this. Although it being available from Amazon I just might. In the name of science of course. I could then tell everyone how it sounds.

On that note, what does in fact constitute a no holds barred Chinese amplifier? I would actually like to hear what the Chinese can do at this point.
They obviously can build as good an amplifier as anyone. It also being highly likely to represent a great value in their usual fashion.

Nonetheless the S17 Pro still looks like a lot of amp indeed. I am sure it would benefit further from good name brand components. I would have an interest in Chinese amp''s which do not benefit from further modification. This seemingly not being one of them. Once again.

Oct 8, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 2,219
It looks like a competitor to the Topping A70 Pro. I had an Aune S6 and it sounded so good with the Ananda on balanced, I'd get more of their stuff. Selling it can take a while because the brand isn't as well known. The power is huge on it, which I like since it lets you stay is low or medium gain for best performance.

Oct 9, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 2,219
"I would upgrade your headphone amp first and particularly for the Sundara, I would use something warmer and smoother sounding. Take a look at the newest Aune S17 Pro that IMHO is the best HP amp below $1K."
That is music to my ears. I can't wait for the review. I want the Sundaras too.

The SMSL product mentioned above does not work for me because I need it to work as a preamp too.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 2,219
Just the A70?
See, that is their hyped advertising I guess.
They seem to make it out to be way better than the A90.
Everything they say about it. Class A, Linear, all of the fancy circuits and components. The Topping do not have a Torroid transformer and are not full class A? Plus I think the Topping are OP-Amp output? This one uses transitions for the output?

They do make it seem much better than even the A90? Although I doubt it is better than the BMV P1. I can gather that much. If the A70 is it's real competition the A70;is smaller footprint and I think a good deal less money,

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 2,219
I'm planning on getting a new amp in the next few months and had been thinking about the Violectric V222 and Burson Soloist. I first heard of the S17 Pro in the comments noted above in Sandu's review of the Aune S9C AIO. It looks very promising for substantially less money (and the price difference is substantial for me since I am retired on a fixed income and have to save for several months for these purchases.) Unfortunately, there are zero reviews of the S17 Pro ATM as yet, though Ichos (who said preliminary impressions are very positive) and iiWi Reviews have stated that reviews are upcoming. The S9C has gotten extremely good reviews, including its amp section and the many similar features leads me to guess (and it's only a guess) that the S17 Pro is a heavily upgraded (including Class A operation) and more powerful version of the amp in the S9C. (Both units have the same $700 USD price and appear to use the same case.)

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 2,219
Just saw these on Amazon.ca today, while looking for Prime deals. Up here in Canada this amp is $1,118.00, plus tax (15%). I like these amps at $600, $700 and even $800 (A90, A90D, Singxer, etc.).
But once it crosses over $1,000.00, my enthusiasm wanes. What if something goes wrong in three or four months? Or eight months?
And that can range from seizing up with error codes/red lights to completely dying and maybe taking your headphones out too.

Is Aune a lot better than Topping? Is it comparable? Are they related in any way?

Lots of questions running through my mind.

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 2,219
Up here in Canada this amp is $1,118.00, plus tax (15%). I like these amps at $600, $700 and even $800 (A90, A90D, Singxer, etc.).
I'm curious why the S17 Pro is so expensive in Canadian dollars; I just looked at the exchange rate, and $700 USD is roughly $950 Canadian. Is this pricing on Amazon typical or is this amp unusual? (Since you appear to think the Canadian prices of the other amps you mention are reasonable, I assume it is the latter.) Or am I missing something altogether?

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 2,219
I'm curious why the S17 Pro is so expensive in Canadian dollars; I just looked at the exchange rate, and $700 USD is roughly $950 Canadian. Is this pricing on Amazon typical or is this amp unusual? (Since you appear to think the Canadian prices of the other amps you mention are reasonable, I assume it is the latter.) Or am I missing something altogether?
It does seem high. The A90D and Singxer both sell at about $799.00Cdn. So yeah, the S17 seems very high. But maybe it is just a fluctuation. Amazon prices jump around depending on the seller.

I was looking/hoping for a deal on an amp, so hoping to find something for maybe $650.00 to $750.00. I knew the S17 was more expensive, but $1,118.00 certainly stood out to me.

I was hoping to find a good deal on Prime Days, but nothing popped out at me.

And yes, everything costs more in Canada. :smile:

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 2,219
I just ordered one for 15% off ($594 USD) from HiFiGo. I tried the S9C and really liked the amp section, but didn't care for the DAC in it.
Congrats. I'd be tempted to jump on that even before any reviews (the extremely positive reviews of the S9C amp section from several reviewers I respect gives me some confidence), but I won't have the funds for at least five weeks--or in other words, two Social Security checks LOL. If I get the S17 Pro, which is likely, I'm tentatively planning to get it from HiFiGo to avoid the NJ sales tax (6.625%) that US Amazon will charge me. It may not sound like much, but in my position it's not insubstantial; I've bought several Chinese products from Chinese sellers and never been charged US state sales tax. A few years back, Amazon US only charged US state sales tax on items they sold directly, not on items from third party sellers (the S17 on Amazon is being sold by Aune), but those days are gone..

Oct 11, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #13 of 2,219
Congrats. I'd be tempted to jump on that even before any reviews (the extremely positive reviews of the S9C amp section from several reviewers I respect gives me some confidence), but I won't have the funds for at least five weeks--or in other words, two Social Security checks LOL. If I get the S17 Pro, which is likely, I'm tentatively planning to get it from HiFiGo to avoid the NJ sales tax (6.625%) that US Amazon will charge me. It may not sound like much, but in my position it's not insubstantial; I've bought several Chinese products from Chinese sellers and never been charged US state sales tax. A few years back, Amazon US only charged US state sales tax on items they sold directly, not on items from third party sellers (the S17 on Amazon is being sold by Aune), but those days are gone..
Curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Oct 11, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 2,219
Curious to hear your thoughts on it.
Err, not me--if I do decide to get this, the earliest I would have it in hand is around Thanksgiving. It's EVSKito that just ordered one. And I'm curious to hear about it as well.

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 2,219
Err, not me--if I do decide to get this, the earliest I would have it in hand is around Thanksgiving. It's EVSKito that just ordered one. And I'm curious to hear about it as well.
I was just referring to when and if you get one. I will be eagerly reading all reviews on this amp. For this price (in Canada), it had better be pretty impressive.

Right now on Amazon.ca the Topping A70 Pro is $615.00 and the S17 Pro is $1,118.00.

Of course if I can't sell my tube amp, it really doesn't matter. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back