Aune S17 pro
Oct 12, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #32 of 2,262
Aaaargh!! Why oh why is the first review of this amp from the utter buffoon that is Z. OK, I forced myself to watch most of it and it was typically useless. All I could discern is that he apparently likes it and it runs hot. (In fact, he explicitly states--in seeming seriousness--that the heat is an actual factor in making a Class A amp sound good. Moreover, he seems to imply that it should be left on--cooking, he calls it--all the time as if it were an R-2R DAC. I've never hear that before.) Why does he like it? What does it sound like? Not a single word. Does he make useful comparisons? Of course not. Amazingly, at one point he physically pulls out the similarly priced Class A Rebel Amp and talks about he now has two of them in two different colors. But not a single word about how the Rebel sounds or a comparison with the Aune. And I don't find him entertaining, it's more like fingernails on a blackboard to me. And some people make buying decision on this loudmouth's "opinions." Sheesh. OK, rant over.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #33 of 2,262
I enjoy his videos, but he does ramble on. And every amp is his new favourite amp.:relaxed:

Judging by the heat it is truly a Class A amp. I like the idea, but I don't want the heat. I am trying to sell the Little Dot now.
I couldn't even put both of these on in the summer:
IMG_20230715_145417384_HDR~3.jpg

Maybe I should look more at the Singxer and the A70.

I am an old, fat guy that runs hot anyway. I don't need help.:smile:

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 2,262
Aaaargh!! Why oh why is the first review of this amp from the utter buffoon that is Z. OK, I forced myself to watch most of it and it was typically useless. All I could discern is that he apparently likes it and it runs hot. (In fact, he explicitly states--in seeming seriousness--that the heat is an actual factor in making a Class A amp sound good. Moreover, he seems to imply that it should be left on--cooking, he calls it--all the time as if it were an R-2R DAC. I've never hear that before.) Why does he like it? What does it sound like? Not a single word. Does he make useful comparisons? Of course not. Amazingly, at one point he physically pulls out the similarly priced Class A Rebel Amp and talks about he now has two of them in two different colors. But not a single word about how the Rebel sounds or a comparison with the Aune. And I don't find him entertaining, it's more like fingernails on a blackboard to me. And some people make buyong decision on this loudmouth's "opinions." Sheesh. OK, rant ove
Lol...I had to kind of step out a bit from my desk after his review..

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #36 of 2,262
I have quite a few tube amps, don't think it should get that hot to radiate heat around like tubes, my guess it will be warm to touch but not a space heater would be the hope.
Three of my amps have tubes (one is hybrid). I am not removing the hottest amp to bring in another hot amp.

I will continue to follow, but...

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #37 of 2,262
I enjoy his videos, but he does ramble on. And every amp is his new favourite amp.:relaxed:

Judging by the heat it is truly a Class A amp. I like the idea, but I don't want the heat. I am trying to sell the Little Dot now.
I couldn't even put both of these on in the summer:

Maybe I should look more at the Singxer and the A70.

I suspect (but obviously don't know as yet) you are correct that the S17 is a true Class A amp. That's really not true of the Singxer which switches to Class AB operation at higher volume. Since I like it loud, that's one reason I never bought one. I know your listening preferences are very different from mine, so it should work for you. (The amp the Aune would be replacing is the Liquid Platinum, which has no switchable gain and notoriously gets very loud very fast. I tend to push that amp to eleven o'clock or so, which I believe is farther than most people do. The Arya Stealth, which might be the most open headphone on the planet, is virtually a pair of speakers at that volume. The LP is a nice amp, but I've often heard that the Arya Stealth, my most used headphone ATM, pairs very well with Class A power, so I'd like to try it. )

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #38 of 2,262
I suspect (but obviously don't know as yet) you are correct that the S17 is a true Class A amp. That's really not true of the Singxer which switches to Class AB operation at higher volume. Since I like it loud, that's one reason I never bought one. I know your listening preferences are very different from mine, so it should work for you. (The amp the Aune would be replacing is the Liquid Platinum, which has no switchable gain and notoriously gets very loud very fast. I tend to push that amp to eleven o'clock or so, which I believe is farther than most people do. The Arya Stealth, which might be the most open headphone on the planet, is virtually a pair of speakers at that volume. The LP is a nice amp, but I've often heard that the Arya Stealth, my most used headphone ATM, pairs very well with Class A power, si I'd like to try it. )
I loved my LP, but the gain was just too high. But it was wonderful with Focal's and Awesome with planar's. I made a mistake selling it and tried to replace it but both new amps failed on me.

I could never get it much past 9:00, except with my HE6se V2's. And that was only between 1:00-2:00.

But such a great sound. :heart_eyes: Keep in mind that if you sell it, there are no more.

PS: For my use, the Singxer would never fall into A/B mode, so it would be all Grade A for me.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #39 of 2,262
And every amp is his new favourite amp.:relaxed:
TBH, this is a tendency of most reviewers today, even the ones I like. I don't think it's because they go too overboard on products or are schills (though I have my doubts on both counts with Z). I think it primarily results from two related factors: audio technology has gotten really good and most gear--from both established companies and newcomers--is really good. And there is just too much gear for any one person to review, so they tend to review the gear they really like and represents an improvement over existing gear either absolutely or at their price point.

Haha, me too. I see you have a Valhalla 2 also (mine is in a drawer ATM, though I like it). Now that amp runs hot, as in burn your fingers territory. But though it mkaes a terrific hand warmer in the winter, the heat never bothered me even sitting a couple of feet away. So I doubt I'll hve any problems with the heat of the S17.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #40 of 2,262
you both bring a good point, I listen to low to moderate volume levels and a good amp should be able to provide the required dynamic range without a need to crank the volume. The only amp I am able to get this is with my old vintage Hitachi HMA-6500, it power amp with headphones out and I drive it via tube and solid state preamps, its just big and bulky to have as a flexible setup...

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #41 of 2,262
TBH, this is a tendency of most reviewers today, even the ones I like. I don't think it's because they go too overboard on products or are schills (though I have my doubts on both counts with Z). I think it primarily results from two related fa

Haha, me too. I see you have a Valhalla 2 also (mine is in a drawer ATM, though I like it). Now that amp runs hot, as in burn your fingers territory. But though it mkaes a terrific hand warmer in the winter, the heat never bother me even sitting a couple of feet away. So I doubt I'll hve any problems with the heat of the S17.
I found the Valhalla 2 very warm. But I did find an expensive fix. I bought four socket savers from Tube Monger. Cost me half the price of the amp, but well worth it.

On the other hand, the Little Dot is hot right down to the volume knob.

The iFi also gets very hot on the top. You can NOT have all three on in the summertime.
Honestly, you can't even have the bottom two on from some time in June right through September.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #42 of 2,262
I loved my LP, but the gain was just too high. But it was wonderful with Focal's and Awesome with planar's. I made a mistake selling it and tried to replace it but both new amps failed on me.

I could never get it much past 9:00, except with my HE6se V2's. And that was only between 1:00-2:00.

But such a great sound. :heart_eyes: Keep in mind that if you sell it, there are no more.

PS: For my use, the Singxer would never fall into A/B mode, so it would be all Grade A for me.
No worries. I'm too lazy to sell anything. I just put it in a drawer or a closet. Actually, I may move the LP (and the Topping D90 MQA, the original AKM version, which I recently replaced with a Denafrips Ares 12th-1) to my TV setup where I am current using a Gustard X16/H16 stack.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #43 of 2,262
I found the Valhalla 2 very warm. But I did find an expensive fix. I bought four socket savers from Tube Monger. Cost me half the price of the amp, but well worth it.

On the other hand, the Little Dot is hot right down to the volume knob.

The iFi also gets very hot on the top. You can NOT have all three on in the summertime.
Honestly, you can't even have the bottom two on from some time in June right through September.
I think violectric hpa v222 might be something that could meet your needs, its in $1400 USd range and out of my price range.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #44 of 2,262
you both bring a good point, I listen to low to moderate volume levels and a good amp should be able to provide the required dynamic range without a need to crank the volume. The only amp I am able to get this is with my old vintage Hitachi HMA-6500, it power amp with headphones out and I drive it via tube and solid state preamps, its just big and bulky to have as a flexible setup...
You sound like another candidate for the Singxer SA-1. :smile:
I never go above 75Db's and that is just the peaks. Most listening in the done 60's, decibel wise. I dip into the 50's and jump into the 70's, but live in the 60's.

As I understand it, the Singxer has a logarithmic volume control so I could get some more range on the volume dial. Not needed, but kind of a pet peeve.:relaxed:

I never understood the desire to get high impedance headphones before or after I got into amps and I still don't really. All my stuff works great of my dongle or DAP, if needed.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #45 of 2,262
I think violectric hpa v222 might be something that could meet your needs, its in $1400 USd range and out of my price range.
I am already a Violectric guy. I have a V220, (stripped down V281) and I LOVE it. I am using it right now with my Grado GH2's.

Here is a pic of the whole collection right now:
IMG_20230828_133658858_HDR~2.jpg

I want to take out the Little Dot and get something interesting to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back