Aune S17 pro
Oct 12, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #46 of 2,360
I think violectric hpa v222 might be something that could meet your needs, its in $1400 USd range and out of my price range.
Actually, I'd really like a V222, which goes for $1300 USD direct from Violectric. It's almost double the price of the S17 and, since I'm retired on a very fixed income, that's a significant difference for me. I have to carefully save for months for my audio purchases. I can probably get the S17 in about five weeks, but the V222 would take until February or March. If the upcoming reviews of the S17 are as good as I suspect, I'm not sure the cost/time premium is worth it.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #47 of 2,360
Actually, I'd really like a V222, which goes for $1300 USD direct from Violectric. It's almost double the price of the S17 and, since I'm retired on a very fixed income, that's a significant difference for me. I have to carefully save for months for my audio purchases. I can probably get the S17 in about five weeks, but the V222 would take until February or March. If the upcoming reviews of the S17 are as good as I suspect, I'm not sure the cost/time premium is worth it.
It was just on Drop for $949.00. That was a good deal!

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #49 of 2,360
wow... great collection!
Thank you! It took years. And three of the four were bought used. :relaxed:
Only one bought new was the LD MK9.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #50 of 2,360
same boat with the budget and fingers crossed on the S17 Pro...

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #51 of 2,360
It was just on Drop for $949.00. That was a good deal!
Yep, I knew and it sure was. And if I had $949 (plus about $62 in NJ sales tax; since Drop's warehouse is in NJ, it's one of the few places that they charge sales tax), I would have bought one. LOL.

Oct 12, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #52 of 2,360
The Aune S17 Pro has two current settings. I think the lower current setting would lower the temp.
It will automatically switch to the lower current if the temp reaches 69 degree C.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #54 of 2,360
I'm interested in peoples thoughts. Been waiting a while to hear reviews of this.

Wondering if this would work well with Sennheiser HD800S. Currently, using a Chord Mojo 1, but looking for an upgrade. Thinking about:

Amp: (looking for a warmer sound - classical, jazz, soul - vocal)
Aune S17 Pro
Xduoo TA-20 Plus
Schiit Jotunheim 2
Schiit Lyr+
Schiit Mjolnir 3 (although I hear its a limited run)

Dac: (looking for a warmer sound - classical, jazz, soul - vocal)
Denafrips Ares 12th
Schiit Bifrost 2/64

I was considering going all out with a Woo Audio WA6-SE and Denafrips Pontus II 12th, but thought I might be able to achieve similar for less.

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #55 of 2,360
Aaaargh!! Why oh why is the first review of this amp from the utter buffoon that is Z. OK, I forced myself to watch most of it and it was typically useless. All I could discern is that he apparently likes it and it runs hot. (In fact, he explicitly states--in seeming seriousness--that the heat is an actual factor in making a Class A amp sound good. Moreover, he seems to imply that it should be left on--cooking, he calls it--all the time as if it were an R-2R DAC. I've never hear that before.) Why does he like it? What does it sound like? Not a single word. Does he make useful comparisons? Of course not. Amazingly, at one point he physically pulls out the similarly priced Class A Rebel Amp and talks about he now has two of them in two different colors. But not a single word about how the Rebel sounds or a comparison with the Aune. And I don't find him entertaining, it's more like fingernails on a blackboard to me. And some people make buying decision on this loudmouth's "opinions." Sheesh. OK, rant over.
Yea i think everyone here can agree that “Z reviews” are useless

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #57 of 2,360
That's me sold - Just ordered one.

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #58 of 2,360
Yea i think everyone here can agree that “Z reviews” are useless

Absolutely not.

"Z reviews" are indeed different and at times chaotic, but he is one of very few who speak their mind. When gear is a piecie of crap, he will say it. And I respect this.

Just ordered one.

Now you need to order an extra air-conditioner. 69 degrees Celsius is no joke :D

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #59 of 2,360

I was getting pretty excited about his observations but the more he spoke, the more it reminded me of my Violectric. Not sure it would bring anything different to my collection.:thinking:

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #60 of 2,360
Absolutely not.

"Z reviews" are indeed different and at times chaotic, but he is one of very few who speak their mind. When gear is a piecie of crap, he will say it. And I respect this.

Now you need to order an extra air-conditioner. 69 degrees Celsius is no joke :D
I find them entertaining, but not overly factual. But if I am looking at a certain product, I include his videos in my research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back