Aune S17 pro
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #451 of 2,482
The reply was in the form of a phone call I received from the distributor who explained that the volume behavior is software controlled and can be changed if desired. It is a minor update but I would have to send the unit in.
? Does it mean that the devices are deliberately different one by one???

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #452 of 2,482
The reply was in the form of a phone call I received from the distributor who explained that the volume behavior is software controlled and can be changed if desired. It is a minor update but I would have to send the unit in.
But I will believe that when I see it. That would imply that they intentionally programmed the unit to skip 4 steps and like it that way. Until it gets to 56 at which point the level make a big 7db jump and the sound quality becomes more pristine. And they like it that way.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #455 of 2,482
Maybe because is´nt an issue, except for you.

As an example, my S17 has a bigger jump in volume from 40-42 with my AKG 712 Pro, but not with my other HP´s - this
does´nt bother me and this no reason for debating.

The S17 Pro is an stellar amp for his price and it has best sound i´ve heard from HPA´s under 2K.

the debate is over - now enjoy the music

Post from a few pages back. Thumbs up.

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #456 of 2,482
If that would be an intention, much more units would show this behavior.
It there are so much unused steps it means there must be bigger jumps between the used steps - not a benefit.
It is nonsense to have series of steps without attenuation and then to make the jump between steps 55 and 56.
I don't believe that such a thing could be intentional. Rather they answered you in a 'diplomatic' way.
About jump between 55 and 56 they told it is by design and will not be changed.

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #457 of 2,482
As an example, my S17 has a bigger jump in volume from 40-42 with my AKG 712 Pro, but not with my other HP´s - this
does´nt bother me and this no reason for debating.
I have exactly the same situation - none of my headphones require a volume level higher than 48 units with this amplifier. Although I use the first (small) gain all the time. Therefore, I do not encounter the feature of volume control after 53 units.

Dec 1, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #458 of 2,482
I have exactly the same situation - none of my headphones require a volume level higher than 48 units with this amplifier. Although I use the first (small) gain all the time. Therefore, I do not encounter the feature of volume control after 53 units.
That would probably be my result as I am a quiet listener. I only have one hard to drive headphone and I have another amp for it.

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #459 of 2,482
This thing is happening in front of me. THAT is the evidence. Just reached 68 degrees and automatically switched from 100 mW to 50mW mode. It only does this in high gain mode, and not in low gain. And yes, true class A mode should not be affected by gain settings or output power.

So I consider this amp a scam, it's not true class A. Sounds quite good anyway.

There is something wrong with your amp. The gain mode has no effect on the temperature of my example, as you would expect.

I would advise people who are new to audio equipment and don't understand concepts such as gain and class A to start out with simpler products that cater more to the mass market.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #460 of 2,482
I bought this S17 Pro to match with my SMSL SU10 and HiFiMan HE1K v2, and it's a beautiful combination. The only issue I have is that if I listen consistently (in cold ambient winter temperature) for 3+ hours, eventually the temperature will reach over 69 C and revert back to 50mA. The temperature increases gradually in High and Low gain settings, when the amp is placed on stands, and when it's apart from other devices.

I thought about how to keep the temperature down in long listening sessions, but I was wondering if any other owners are experiencing the same characteristics.

Possible solutions:

1. Swap or add extra passive heatsink (copper) inside of the unit.
2. Solder and attach a quiet fan inside of the unit.
3. Place a laptop cooler underneath the amp.

I'm hoping there is a more straightforward way to keep the temperatures down for 3+ hr long sessions without it revering to 50mA.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #461 of 2,482
Put tall feet under it to ventilate the bottom. For example:

1701540210970.png

The feet I use are even taller.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back