Aune S17 pro
Nov 29, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #436 of 2,482
Let’s not be to harsh on Aune, a few personal observations:

1. I think we all agree this amplifier sounds fantastic!
2. Apparently the used volume controles are programmable devices, the differences we perceive are not faulty but just programmed differently, resulting in the same excellent sound quality but operate with different volume steps.
3. In order to prevent your S17 from overheating Aune has built in a protection that 99% of us will never see in action as it will kick in only at either very high ambient temperatures or with very specific headphone combinations.
4. I could live, very happily, with either of the volume configurations and feel confident you could get it reprogrammed (or swapped) if needed.

…. now let’s get back to why we bought this great amplifier in the first place and joined this thread to share our enthusiasm, experiences and tips.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #437 of 2,482
Does anyone here use an Apple TV and does the remote of the S17 Pro also control the ATV accidentaly?

And because of the other issues I think it is better to wait a bit until they are solved.

Maybe the S9c is a good alternative (cheaper, all in one, less powerful)? The S9c doesn't have these problems. Is that correct?

Another option with remote is A70 and D70 from Topping but with brighter planars like Hifiman a warmer, smoother amp like the Aune could be better.

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #438 of 2,482
Maybe the S9c is a good alternative (cheaper, all in one, less powerful)? The S9c doesn't have these problems. Is that correct?
My S9c doesn't have any of this mentioned issues. I just took the remote and went and played in front of apple tv I have and no issues either. Now you guys are making me apprehensive as I placed order for S17 Pro as I really like S9c pro a lot over all and figured it will be improvement. HE1000SE is supposed to scale well with better source chain is what people here says... so I decided to splurge a little with the S17Pro and Ares 12th-1 combo. Well, time will tell I guess?

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #440 of 2,482
Does anyone here use an Apple TV and does the remote of the S17 Pro also control the ATV accidentaly?

And because of the other issues I think it is better to wait a bit until they are solved.

Another option with remote is A70 and D70 from Topping but with brighter planars like Hifiman a warmer, smoother amp like the Aune could be better.
I have a Ferrum Oor+hypsos...HE1000SE is better on Aune 😉

Nov 29, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #442 of 2,482
Giangi, how do you like the he1000se on S17 ?
I’ve read a lot of positive reviews on both your HiFiman and it’s cheaper brother the he1000 stealth.
Did you by any chance compare those 2 … I’m considering to buy one next to my HE6se v2
Yes, I had got both. I prefer SE because it's more holographic and has more headstage. HE1000 Stealth just a little more bass and sub

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #444 of 2,482
A simply iFi Zen Dac V2, waiting for the new Aune S9 pure dac 🤣. However I pair it also with a Gustard R26 and the result is that HE1000SE is better on Aune too. While lcd xc and Clear MG better on Ferrum

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #445 of 2,482
2. Apparently the used volume controles are programmable devices, the differences we perceive are not faulty but just programmed differently, resulting in the same excellent sound quality but operate with different volume steps.
That's why there are delays in shipments recently. There is new firmware which factory changing or all devices will get simple hardware upgrade.

Nov 30, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #446 of 2,482
That's why there are delays in shipments recently. There is new firmware which factory changing or all devices will get simple hardware upgrade.
What is the source of this information?

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #447 of 2,482
Mine also at Aune Europe, black version, sound is excellent but has the strange ‘only increasing volume per 4steps’ issue.
I could live with it if It was ‘by design’ but if not I will ask Aune for confirmation and possibly replacement.

Hi All,

I have just sent the message below to both the European and Corp Aune outlets:

“Please be aware that after initial enthusiasm concerns and confusion is starting in the following major thread on your product.

Post in thread 'Aune S17 pro'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aune-s17-pro.970060/post-17838964

Could you please clarify and take the appropriate steps in either communication and/or service/replacement ?

Hope to hear from you soon”

I’ll keep you posted on their replies.

You did not post their replies.

Other solutions use 100 steps R2R volume control. The lack of steps led them to make the jump between steps 55 and 56. It looks as non logical and very improbable that they would implement one volume level increase per 4 steps intentionally by design, having only 64 steps available and wanting to cover wide volume range from most sensitive IEMs to least sensitive planars with two gain levels. It's hard for me to believe "not faulty but just programmed differently". Could you post their replies?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #448 of 2,482
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #450 of 2,482
You did not post their replies.

It's hard for me to believe "not faulty but just programmed differently". Could you post their replies?

The reply was in the form of a phone call I received from the distributor who explained that the volume behavior is software controlled and can be changed if desired. It is a minor update but I would have to send the unit in.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back