Audioquests new Dragonfly Cobalt @TTVJAudio.com
Jul 16, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #91 of 155
Already pulled that up and as I pointed out, that's only because this new product has launched (on their own store front so anomaly for sure). I can assure you i wasn't imagining those high prices over the past year

Not to pile on, but I think you did imagine those prices. I paid $199 for my first Red years ago. Sold it and moved on to other portable amp/DACs. Then bought another one just a few months ago. It was the same price. I’ve never seen it sell for higher than $199 in the US.

Jul 16, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #92 of 155
Not to pile on, but I think you did imagine those prices. I paid $199 for my first Red years ago. Sold it and moved on to other portable amp/DACs. Then bought another one just a few months ago. It was the same price. I’ve never seen it sell for higher than $199 in the US.
I distinctly remember $269 a few months ago the best on ebay, which I turned to because Amazon was sold out. So na.

As for the cobalt I wouldn't be surprised to see a hike of $50 at least

Jul 16, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #93 of 155
I can show you my purchase history from Amazon for my Red a few years ago. It was $200 back then and still is. At that time, I bought a $200 Amazon gift card at the grocery store and used that to pay for it. I'm more than a little surprised that there is a discussion about this.

Jul 17, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #95 of 155
Fwiw, I paid $129 CDN for Black several years ago, $249 CDN for Red 2 years ago, and (gulp!) $399 CDN for Cobalt a week ago. For the former two prices haven't changed when I looked them up a minute ago on Amazon.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #96 of 155
There were a couple of price spikes for the DFR, as per camelcamelcamel (https://camelcamelcamel.com/AudioQuest-DragonFly-Red-Headphone-Amplifier/product/B01DFMV4NQ) but it's been relatively steady for the past 18 months.

In terms of Cobalt hiss on the Cobalt, I'd imagine it's be similar to the Red, since they both utilize the same amp, if I'm not mistaken.

@Todd, I'd like to send my appreciation for your loaner program; I'd love to have applied, but missed out (for happy reasons). Still, that's a great move and I look forward to hearing what the lucky members think of the DFC.

I'm going to see if there's a DFC thread in the forums and not spam the sponsor thread.

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #97 of 155
Jul 18, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #98 of 155
Amazon has many price-time tracker site use that feature,
new.png

I distinctly remember $269 a few months ago the best on ebay, which I turned to because Amazon was sold out. So na.

As for the cobalt I wouldn't be surprised to see a hike of $50 at least

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #99 of 155
Hi All,

I have ordered another Dragonfly Cobalt from Audioquest for a loaner demo and will start a second loaner program for anyone who missed out on the first one. Please remember when you get these that they are our personal units paid for by TTVJAudio.com and treat them with care.

In response to the program only allowing 1 week with the unit - I do understand that a longer period of time would allow for a professional type review. What I am really looking for is your impressions of the product with your own equipment. For a review I do not expect someone to commit their lives to writing the perfect, comprehensive review. Just what they used, how is sounded and worked for them. 2 weeks or more would have people waiting forever to get a shot at hearing it. And of course I am using the program to promote sales of the product and it usually doesn't take more than a week to determine if it is or isn't for you. So 1 week is really all I can do and hope that each participant gets a good listen.

The first loaner Cobalt should be arriving into the loaner participants hands any day now so look for some impressions in the loaner thread soon. I will start round 2 of the Cobalt loaner late next week when I have a chance to break the new unit in. Look for the post in the current loaner thread and I will sign up 9 or 10 more people at that time.

Todd

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #100 of 155
Can I be a part of this loaner program? The Red is already probably my favorite amplifier that I’ve owned!

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #101 of 155
HI All,

I will post in this thread when I am starting round 2 of the Dragonfly Cobalt loaner program. I expect to be ready by next Friday. Keep an eye out here and sign up once the loaner program is announced. As in the past, no early emails will be accepted. I will take 10 more participants for the second program. Good luck signing up.

Todd

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #102 of 155
HI All,

I will post in this thread when I am starting round 2 of the Dragonfly Cobalt loaner program. I expect to be ready by next Friday. Keep an eye out here and sign up once the loaner program is announced. As in the past, no early emails will be accepted. I will take 10 more participants for the second program. Good luck signing up.

Todd

Would you like to explain how to sign up? Thanks!

Jul 19, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #103 of 155
Jul 20, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #104 of 155
Just got my Cobalt yesterday, very impressed with it indeed. I already had a Dragonfly Black and Ifi Nano, and just tried out a Mojo and much prefer this little wonder. I dont know how they get it so small and sound this good.

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #105 of 155
$300 and it is not even Type C? I will pass. no one wants to be using a dongle cable for phones bro, its almost 2020... even Apple is moving to Type C...

Can't see having a usbc connector on the device is a good idea for something that's supposed to be shoved in your pocket or bag. Its likely to snap the connector, with the dongle cable at least it's pliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back