Audioquests new Dragonfly Cobalt @TTVJAudio.com
Jul 16, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #77 of 155
HI All,

I intend to have a loaner program for the Cobalt starting next week. I will announce it in this Sponsors forum and hope a few of you who have not been negative will sign up.

I am disappointed in all the nay-sayers here in my sponsor thread. Not one of you have heard this unit. And comparing a desktop to a multi use product that really is very well thought out and able to be used with many devices and for different situations really isn't a fair comparison. OK, it may not be for you but do you need to come in here and diss it without ever even having heard or used it?

I look forward to serving those who are interested in this fine, reliable product from Audioquest. And for the money you will NOT find a more versatile product of this quality. And with all due respect to ibasso, there is no comparison in quality. 6 mediocre products do not beat out one very good product.

On the subject of the dongle cable, I have found in my years of experience that a cable connection is far less strain on the USB connector and is also easier to place the Dragonfly in a convenient place - in front or back or along side your source. Having the USB piece directly plugged into a phone or other portable USB port runs the risk of damaging either the source or the Dragonfly or both!. The price is not for the dongle, it is for the Dragonfly Cobalt that includes a dongle to use with your phone and other portable devices...

As with any product, it is not for everybody. And it will not please everybody. But I really think the Cobalt is going to be an outstanding product for $300. I guess we will see how others feel when the reviews from my loaner program start rolling in.

I thank all of you for reading this thread!

Todd
As a proud owner of the Black I agree with you - at least people will need to hear it first. However I think a loan period of 1 week is too restrictive. I believe to come up with a good (as in "detailed, informative") people need to spend time listening. Personally I have a job and can only do writing at night or during the weekends.

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #78 of 155
I find the Cobalt slightly warmer than the Red, slightly more mid forward, and with a noticeably smoother treble. And it does all of that while still sounding more detailed, with more defined layering, and an easily heard wider soundstage. Compared to the Red, the soundstage sounds closer to you but with greater width. I’ve heard a few early impressions describe the Cobalt as more U-shaped than the Red. I don’t hear that at all. The mids (vocals) sound slightly more forward and clearer. Actually, everything sounds clearer.

That‘s a typical description of a slow roll-off filter. It‘s not linear though, treble is attenuated. You might like it if you have bright headphones and actually prefer darker sound signature. With treble attenuated, one also tends to listen at a bit higher volume to compensate for that, this is a usual explanation for it being clearer and mids more forward...

Btw, I disagree with you, to my ears Red doesn‘t have any Sabre glare, it has a pretty warm sound with very high treble extension, but in a very non-digital way. What has digital glare to me is e.g. any Cirrus Logic in any version on any of the iDevices, just can‘t stand it...

Do you have any real low-impedance sensitive IEMs to test for audible hiss?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #79 of 155
That‘s a typical description of a slow roll-off filter. It‘s not linear though, treble is attenuated. You might like it if you have bright headphones and actually prefer darker sound signature. With treble attenuated, one also tends to listen at a bit higher volume to compensate for that, this is a usual explanation for it being clearer and mids more forward...

Btw, I disagree with you, to my ears Red doesn‘t have any Sabre glare, it has a pretty warm sound with very high treble extension, but in a very non-digital way. What has digital glare to me is e.g. any Cirrus Logic in any version on any of the iDevices, just can‘t stand it...

No. I prefer full-size, over-ear headphones. Sorry.

Jul 16, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #80 of 155

I am also curious if Cobalt does hiss with high sensitive IEMs. As a Red owner with SE846, I can still hear the hiss but very minimal and bearable, Though, I still hope it will be gone with Cobalt.

Also, in general, I think it's too early to judge Cobalt sound overnight as I found my Red sounded more matured (soothing) after a week atleast. I believe Cobalt will do better over time. Well, we'll see how it goes from this coming loaner program. I wish I am very free to join in.

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #82 of 155
Ok so here’s my take on the Cobalt. I love it and I think It’s worth every penny. But there is a caveat. I only recommend it if you find your audio chain a little bright. Because of the smoother treble tone, the Cobalt would probably make a darker headphone sound too dull. For example, I don’t think it would pair well with a Nighthawk/Nightowl, ZMF Verité, or Ether 2.

I find the Cobalt slightly warmer than the Red, slightly more mid forward, and with a noticeably smoother treble. And it does all of that while still sounding more detailed, with more defined layering, and an easily heard wider soundstage. Compared to the Red, the soundstage sounds closer to you but with greater width. I’ve heard a few early impressions describe the Cobalt as more U-shaped than the Red. I don’t hear that at all. The mids (vocals) sound slightly more forward and clearer. Actually, everything sounds clearer.

I liked the smoother treble so much that I even decided to test it with my 800S. And it didn’t disappoint! Even though I know my 800S is being underpowered by the Cobalt, I still preferred it to my Jotunheim/multibit. The Sabre glare is gone with the Cobalt! The Jot is just too bright with the 800S.

I also tested it with my son’s Fidelio X2HR, which I also find a little bright. Again, it made everything sound wider, more articulate, and with a much better behaved treble end. The X2HR is already known for a wide soundstage (but not as wide as my beloved 800S, Ha!), but the Cobalt pushed it out even further.
Even underpowered, the Cobalt put a wider soundstage on my 800S than my friends IFI Micro Black Label. So take that any way you want.

So in conclusion, unless you already own darker headphones or a darker chain, I can’t recommend this little dac/amp enough. It sounds excellent and has an amazing form-factor for portability. I’m an admitted soundstage junkie, which is why I love the 800S so much. And let me tell you, the Cobalt really accentuates that. It just takes every detail, adds more separation, and pushes it all out further.

The hype is real!

P.S. My USB end does not wiggle at all. Not a picometer of give. So I would definitely send it back if that’s happening to yours.
I am sorry I am not as well-versed as others. By 800S, do you mean Sennheiser IE 800S? Also, I too am very fond of expansive soundstage. Which IEMs do you consider to have the best soundstage? Thank you.

Jul 16, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #83 of 155
I am sorry I am not as well-versed as others. By 800S, do you mean Sennheiser IE 800S? Also, I too am very fond of expansive soundstage. Which IEMs do you consider to have the best soundstage? Thank you.

Not the IEM. The regular, full-size, Sennheiser 800S.

I can’t comment on IEM’s, because I don’t use them, sorry.

Jul 16, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #84 of 155
Hmmmm..... Just hmmmm. When I did have the Red I do remember the hiss. If that's fixed I may look towards the Cobalt. (My IEM game is sorely overdue for an upgrade though that's neither here nor there)

Also to those complaining about the price...... How nice it must be to forget that the Red used to have a much higher price when it launched years ago. Markets and such.

Also also!... To those moaning about it not being USB C out of the box.... So you want a solid protrusion out the bottom/side of your phone aor DAC then. I know to many, a stack resembling a brick is how you get your mobile audio fix but at least that's a fairly solid gig. No odd puturding bits to get sawed off (;

Seriously, think before nitpicking.

Jul 16, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #85 of 155
Hmmmm..... Just hmmmm. When I did have the Red I do remember the hiss. If that's fixed I may look towards the Cobalt. (My IEM game is sorely overdue for an upgrade though that's neither here nor there)

Also to those complaining about the price...... How nice it must be to forget that the Red used to have a much higher price when it launched years ago. Markets and such.

Also also!... To those moaning about it not being USB C out of the box.... So you want a solid protrusion out the bottom/side of your phone aor DAC then. I know to many, a stack resembling a brick is how you get your mobile audio fix but at least that's a fairly solid gig. No odd puturding bits to get sawed off (;

Seriously, think before nitpicking.

The Red has always been $200. I bought it for that soon after it was introduced and it has never been discounted. I'm thinking Cobalt will be $300 in perpetuity. I agree about the solid protrusion!

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #86 of 155
The Red has always been $200. I bought it for that soon after it was introduced and it has never been discounted. I'm thinking Cobalt will be $300 in perpetuity. I agree about the solid protrusion!
I've NEVER found it for below $250 anywhere. I do remember it being hard to keep in stock at intervals as well so idk. Seems on the mark as far as our specialized audio gear goes (not that I fully condone some of the pricing but I digress)

I liked the Red but hearing descriptors like "smooth" "relaxed" and "warm" don't ease the soul of this metalhead lol. Doubt I'll make the loaner program but who knows

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #88 of 155
I don't know where you live, but the list/selling price for the Red was always $200. They would sometimes bundle a Jitterbug with it for $250, but that was still full price for both items ($200 + $50).
Here in the US I've looked between ebay, amazon and a few others over the past year and a half. Would be nice to see a Red for 200 and below but not here bud.

Pretty sure with the launch of the Cobalt it might stabilize but..... Yep, NOW it's 199.99 on Amazon and that's with Audioquest's store. A first here for sure. And no Jitterbug included with 90% of those listings. We've been heavily ripped off here in the states lol

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #90 of 155

Users who are viewing this thread

Back