Audioquests new Dragonfly Cobalt @TTVJAudio.com
Aug 16, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #136 of 155
Anyone noticing on Android that when setting the volume in UAPP do listening level, when using other apps sound is way to low. It seems non have direct control of the DACs hardware volume. Very annoying or am I doing something wrong?

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #137 of 155
Mine is coming on Thursday and I'm pretty stoked to see what it can do with an LCD 4z:)
I am still waiting for my DFC (which should be arriving tomorrow) and my LCD-4z is running in as of 4 days ago. Can’t wait to try them together. What’s your impression having both already?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #138 of 155
I am still waiting for my DFC (which should be arriving tomorrow) and my LCD-4z is running in as of 4 days ago. Can’t wait to try them together. What’s your impression having both already?
I've been loving it, I'm sure the 4z could get a little better with more power going to them but for simplicity when you just want to listen to music this setup is hard to beat. I get plenty of volume and the music coming through is clear and dynamic, you can tell when a song has been recorded like crap but that doesn't happen often. Overall they're both a 10 out of 10 for me

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #139 of 155
I've been loving it, I'm sure the 4z could get a little better with more power going to them but for simplicity when you just want to listen to music this setup is hard to beat. I get plenty of volume and the music coming through is clear and dynamic, you can tell when a song has been recorded like crap but that doesn't happen often. Overall they're both a 10 out of 10 for me
Awesome. I can’t wait to hear the combo. Right now have been running the LCD-4z in using DFR but actual listening (every 12 hours more or less) using Oppo HA-2SE. I would like to move on to (as in purchase) hugo2 within the next month or so with the Audeze’s for home listening (multiple places so need some portability, hence the hugo2) and then travel set up the DFC with Shure SE-846s. Either way would still like to hear the Audeze’s with the DFC and compare to the DFR to really hear the difference.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #140 of 155
While I agree with you about amplification and sensitive IEMs, many people prefer a nicer DAC than whatever is in their phone or tablet.

But beyond preferences, it’s kind of a necessity.

It’s 2019. Fewer and fewer mobile devices have 3.5mm ports. The standard has completely disappeared from Apple products, and it’s being phased out among Androids as well. So it’s either use a Lightning/USB-to-3.5mm adapator (all of which feature worse DACs than whatever is in the device), or use a small standalone DAC/amp... Like the Dragonfly.

But again, only if it can get quiet enough.

Can anyone who’s listened to the Cobalt confirm if the volume issue has been addressed?
Hiya I am also thinking of moving to the DFC and Shure SE846s. I read Alex asking the same thing as you on this thread specifically regarding the 846s but I don’t think anyone has answered. I have never had a problem with the Shure SE425/DFR combo but it would be pointless to move to the 846s if they have a known “incompatibility” with the Dragonflies.

Has anyone tested the actual DFC/SE846 combo and does it have a sensitivity issue picking up hiss from the DFC?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #141 of 155
Picked up my DFC this morning and have already run some quick A/B comparisons against the DFR, both running from iPhone XR through CCK2 into B&W P7s. Initial impressions: the low end seems less boomy and more controlled on the cobalt which also reaches slightly lower down so overall a noticeable improvement. Cannot assess the mid frequencies properly given the time constraints and this will need more listening later this evening. The highs are noticeably clearer, I think the window cleaning analogy used by one reviewer is very apt, the DFR opens a window into the sound but the DFC cleans it better. Maybe saying the DFC removes all the glass from the window and lets you “see” with absolutely no distortion is an exaggeration but the general idea is there as the DFC definitely sounds a little clearer. I have also noted that 3D imaging has improved with the soundstage having become more three dimensional (ie deeper) with the DFC.

Now these are noticeable differences with a direct A/B comparison of both dragonflies and as is usually the case when specifically listening out for differences in a comparison you tend to notice them more than you would ordinarily. Personally some may not want to upgrade if they already have a DFR but I would definitely say that the sonic differences are there and, to my mind, worth the extra cost, especially if you don’t have either of the two and are considering being a first time buyer and evaluating an difference of $100 or equivalent. Whether the same is the case to someone that already has a DFR and would have to pay the full price for a new product is subjective. Either way I would strongly recommend anyone to go for an A/B comparison before buying.

Regarding the construction the USB connection seems very solid, on par with my DFR however the headphone socket seems ever so slightly loose. Nothing worrisome but given previous comments I thought it worth my while to note this.

Overall quite pleased and looking forward to some more serious listening later today with much better headphones.

Sep 5, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #144 of 155
Nov 12, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #145 of 155
Anyone noticing on Android that when setting the volume in UAPP do listening level, when using other apps sound is way to low. It seems non have direct control of the DACs hardware volume. Very annoying or am I doing something wrong?

Exactly the same here! I have a Samsung Note 9, the Cobalt DAC. Most used headphones are Shure SHR1540.

When using Tidal (when listen i offline mode) without UAPP, the volume is FAR to low! Also YouTube etc.

When using UAPP everything is OK, enough volume to blow my ears of my head...

But, when I try to play Tidal offline via the UAPP, that's impossible due to UAPPs lack of possibility to use it offline. Ok, that's a powerful limit of my use of Tidal, when not possible to listen to downloaded music when out, and to avoid huge bills due to excessive data usage!

I've noticed that you haven't get any answer to this? Hmm...

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #146 of 155
20191107_125608_XX.jpeg

Big thinks as always out to @Todd for allowing bot only myself but all of us a chance to hear this I think his efforts definitely help the community as a whole get a lot of exposure to products we wouldn't otherwise

I stand by my initial and very harsh Impressions but I did want to give Cobalt another chance so I picked to Dynamic headphones that were much easier to drive. Performance with my HD 600 was lackluster nothing to talk about tonality was off DJ was a bit lacking and Cobalt didn't quite have enough power to get HD 600 enough Headroom

However!!! With my wabisabi Magnum V7 build which listens a lot like an improved Grado rs2e the performance was excellent!

I think the somewhat bright and fowars nature of this Grado style headphone is really complemented by Cobalt and I had no problems with headroom.

Well I don't think I would pair this with something as refined as their ps2000 flagship as a whole I believe a lot of the Grado family headphones will pair really beautifully with this product!

Nov 21, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #147 of 155
On Windows, I'm unable to access it via the desktop app. The computer recognizes the Cobalt and I can get audio through it and everything, but the app just doesn't find it. I know there's no firmware update right now, but I'd like to be able to update it if and when there is.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #148 of 155
Just got this for my z1r. Amazing value.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #149 of 155
Just got my Cobalt and using with the computer all the LED colors match the files. but when using with my S10e / Android the signal is actually one level lower, e.g. playing HI-FI on Tidal the cobalt lights Dark Blue (instead of Green as the computer), when playing Master it lights Light Blue (not purple). Anyone know how to resolve this one?

PS.: My unit is definitely wiggling, rattling, like someone mentioned. straight out of the box, so will contact the dealer for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back