AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Nov 26, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #1,381 of 2,528
@evolutiontheory I can't see any reason why it'd be "bad idea", assuming you've got a balanced cable for them?
Just plug 'em in, sit back and enjoy!

Thanks! But no, I do not have a balanced cable. Do you have any recommendations or a place I should search for? I am such a noob that I dont event know how to search them for!!! :L3000:
Ideal would be a super short cable so that I can pin my ES100 to the headphone itself!

For what ever reason I cannot find a 2.5mm to dual 2.5mm cable.. I am looking in Amazon.com

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,383 of 2,528
@evolutiontheory Well, it'll mostly boil down to how much you want to plough into one.

This is one of the cheaper custom ones you can order, although it's UK based so may be no good for you... but all orders over £60 include free delivery, even to outside of the EU!

I have this one for my Nighthawk. £32.50. You tell him what plug you want and what color sleeve below the split. He might be able to change the length for you. I have maroon with a 2.5mm balanced plug to use with a couple of daps that have 2.5mm balanced.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hifiman-...m=532529570271&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

The plugs are silver... I took this photo at night with incandescent lighting no flash.

10202539.jpg

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #1,384 of 2,528
Here is another photo that was taken during the day. I actually first bought this one with the grey sleeve but then I let my husband try it with his HD700, Hifiman 400i and Oppo PM2. I could tell he wanted it so I gave it to him and ordered the maroon that I had also considered. I like both colors but the grey looked especially good with his Senn and Oppo. This is more true to color.

The grey of course would match the carbon color of the NO nicely.... or you can go for a wild color.

10201598.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #1,386 of 2,528
@mbwilson111 A tidy price, indeed. Going to bookmark that one!

They only took 2 or 3 days to arrive. Thinking of maybe getting one for my Meze 99 Neo at some point . I would go all black for that one.

I did choose the least expensive option for the cable ... the copper. I tend to prefer that to silver plated anyway...and of course I got the shortest length. Other options increase the price. He also has other listings, and seems to be working on a website.

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #1,387 of 2,528
@mbwilson111 @waveSounds Same cableguy I ordered fram aswell. Insanely satisfied with it tbh. Going into +300h now and loving it.

Got my new cable a couple of days ago. Been burning it in for over 50 hours (just to make sure). I like it so much more over the original in every way. Sonically I feel it gives more clarity and resolve but the major win is ergonomics. Using the new cable you really understand how crappy the ergonomics is with the original one. Highly recommended! Ordered from https://www.ebay.com/usr/mavismodz6

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,388 of 2,528
Thanks folks. Very useful links on the cables.

Just opened my NIghtOwls. Man they are super comfortable.
So far I am liking these a lot. Base is a bit low; not so hard hitting but I suppose that’s just me getting used to the nature of the headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #1,389 of 2,528
@mbwilson111 @waveSounds Same cableguy I ordered fram aswell. Insanely satisfied with it tbh. Going into +300h now and loving it.

I remember seeing those photos but did not realize when I was ordering mine that it was the same guy. I see you went for the silver plated wire. Looks beautiful with your headphones. I am thinking about getting one for my Meze (which I think would also fit my Denon AH-D600)

So far I am liking these a lot. Base is a bit low; not so hard hitting but I suppose that’s just me getting used to the nature of the headphones.

Which pads are on yours at the moment? They each change the sound a bit. Also, AQ tells us to burn them in for 150 hours. I did it with my Nighthawk but to be honest, I loved them out of the box... and still love them over two years later.

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,390 of 2,528
... and still love them over two years later.

A question for you: how is their condition holding up after two years? There are a few plastic bits in what's holding up the cups. I am particularly worried about the little plastic bar on which the leather headband hangs. Any issues or sign of issues? Is that why people are getting 2nd and 3rd pairs, just in case?

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #1,391 of 2,528
A question for you: how is their condition holding up after two years? There are a few plastic bits in what's holding up the cups. I am particularly worried about the little plastic bar on which the leather headband hangs. Any issues or sign of issues? Is that why people are getting 2nd and 3rd pairs, just in case?

See my photo six posts up.... They look like new but I take care of my things. They have never been out of the house and I keep them in a case when not in use... or sometimes on a headphone hanger hung by the wire part, not the strap.

People are getting extra pairs because they know that no more are being made. Thinking 10 years ahead maybe. I would be very sad if something happened to my Nighthawk but I do have other headphones... Who knows, maybe Skylar will develop something else one day for another company. It is his baby.

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #1,392 of 2,528

As polarising as the AudioQuest headphone range were/can be/are, the one department where there tends to be universal consensus is that they don't lack in the bass department. The microsuade pads attenuate the bass mildly, but even then, I'd find it a stretch to say they were lacking, and I'm someone that resides closer to the basshead end of the continuum!

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #1,393 of 2,528
I remember seeing those photos but did not realize when I was ordering mine that it was the same guy. I see you went for the silver plated wire. Looks beautiful with your headphones. I am thinking about getting one for my Meze (which I think would also fit my Denon AH-D600)

Actually mine is pure copper like yours. I´m not that into silverplated cables as I´ve read and heard that the silver and copper reacts and a shielding of oxidation is created between the two (Kimber cable interview as valid source )

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,394 of 2,528
As polarising as the AudioQuest headphone range were/can be/are, the one department where there tends to be universal consensus is that they don't lack in the bass department. The microsuade pads attenuate the bass mildly, but even then, I'd find it a stretch to say they were lacking, and I'm someone that resides closer to the basshead end of the continuum!

Well... Maybe I am dumb and wrong.

I think its not that the bass is lacking, but the bass drums does not punch as hard. I am comparing with my ATH-M50s + Zhu - In the morning. Maybe thats because of the smooth, mild characteristic? I don't know. Anyways it is too early. So far I am liking these headphones a lot!!

Update: Now after a few comparisons with my ATH-M50s I am thinking this has more to do with the wide sound stage of the Night Owls and that I am just not used to such wide sound stage. Maybe I am wrong but this is what I feel now w.r.t the bass.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,395 of 2,528
Does anyone have both the NightHawk Liquidwood and the NightHawk Carbon? I ordered what I thought was the Carbon, but in fact it was the Liquidwood. My fault. Is there a significant difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back