AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Nov 7, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #1,366 of 2,529
Of course, maybe you just want to get one before they are all sold out. I can't say I blame you if that is the case. It is a great headphone to add to your collection. It provides great isolation from outside noise too.:p

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,367 of 2,529
Alice in Chains' Jar of Flies album is just as good. As is Unamplified by Surfact, probably lesser known than others but worth a listen if you're a fan of Alice in Chains, Nirvana et al.

Jar of flies is great.. So I had to check out Unamplified. Only listening with the lowly Nighthawks :wink:, but that's a great album. Thanks!

I own the Night Hawk and LOVE them. I have no real need for a closed back HP so would buying a NO just be a sideways move?

I keep popping into this thread, asking the same question lol.

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,368 of 2,529
Jar of flies is great.. So I had to check out Unamplified. Only listening with the lowly Nighthawks :wink:, but that's a great album. Thanks!

I keep popping into this thread, asking the same question lol.

Is a sideways move a bad move?

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,369 of 2,529
Is a sideways move a bad move?

Only when you're broke from hanging around this website and listening to the various convincing enablers lol! :wink:

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #1,370 of 2,529
Has anyone tried another cable besides the stock one?

I’ve tried a custom SPC and a UP OCC cable (not cheap) and the NO still sounds better with the stock cable.

This is the only headphone/earphone I’ve gotten that hasn’t sounded better with a new cable o.o;

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,371 of 2,529
Has anyone tried another cable besides the stock one?

I’ve tried a custom SPC and a UP OCC cable (not cheap) and the NO still sounds better with the stock cable.

This is the only headphone/earphone I’ve gotten that hasn’t sounded better with a new cable o.o;

Well, I disagree entirely and found that replacing the stock cable made the NO sound much better. You know, IMO.

At least we can agree that changing the cable makes some difference... The NO stock cable may be fairly unique in that regard.

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #1,372 of 2,529
Well, I disagree entirely and found that replacing the stock cable made the NO sound much better. You know, IMO.

At least we can agree that changing the cable makes some difference... The NO stock cable may be fairly unique in that regard.

Ya, it definitely makes some difference.

The preference is subjective though, so no arguments there. I just really like the tonality of it with the stock cable it seems. With the stock pleather pads, it just sounds so rounded and spacious which is my preference.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #1,373 of 2,529
Ya, it definitely makes some difference.

The preference is subjective though, so no arguments there. I just really like the tonality of it with the stock cable it seems. With the stock pleather pads, it just sounds so rounded and spacious which is my preference.

Yep. No need to argue, just a subjective preference. I like mine, you like yours, NightOwls rule.

Thus concludes the most civil conversation about cables in Head-Fi history. :sunglasses:

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #1,375 of 2,529
Yep. No need to argue, just a subjective preference. I like mine, you like yours, NightOwls rule.

Thus concludes the most civil conversation about cables in Head-Fi history. :sunglasses:

Damn, you rock. I have never seen a cable discussion go so smoothly. Definitely chill. Cheers to you.
I am really digging my NOs. Glad to own these.

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #1,376 of 2,529
Damn, you rock. I have never seen a cable discussion go so smoothly. Definitely chill. Cheers to you.
I am really digging my NOs. Glad to own these.

Don't forget props to @Colors he rocks too. :wink:

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #1,377 of 2,529
Hey, @Richsvt How do you like that CA Lyra? I've been trying to find an IEM version of the NightOwls, and it seems like Lyra is at least sort of close. How do they stack up?

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,378 of 2,529
I love the Lyra. It is the 1st Gen with the older casing. Wonderful signature. I always lean to the warm side and this is such a great example. It is a little hard to compare but I think they are close. Staging in the NO is obviously larger but detail retrieval is awesome in the Lyra. I use a silver cable to tease just a little more from it. I've been so enamored with the Andro that I forget about the Lyra. Gotta go back and give them a listen. Thanks for the reminder...

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,379 of 2,529
Would it be a bad idea to drive these using Es100 balanced output?
Any recommendations for a cable of a shorter length? Just got my night owl delivered!! Will open and do some testing tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back