AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Oct 26, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,352 of 2,528
I must recall my memory to comment on your case.
NO is not weak for bass section in comparison to hd6xx.
You mean the extension of bass or the magnitude of bass?

Well, I may eat my words. Having used IEMs primarily for last few years (I know, shame) I forgot how important seal is. Took off my glasses and I have bass haha. Still definitely heard more texture on the HD600 [wearing glasses for both], similar to that darko quote, "The top shelf Sennheisers give us tighter bass and a more overt delivery of textural information but they’re not as impactful in the low end as the NightOwl Carbon". So now I need to compare again on Monday no glasses.

Time for more listening!

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #1,353 of 2,528
I picked up a cable on eBay from “cablearchitect” terminated 2.5mm and for less than $50 it’s a step up in quality from the hd700 cables that are ~$20

https://ebay.com/usr/cablearchitect

Nov 1, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #1,358 of 2,528
I know music preference is highly subjective and I promise I won't hassle you guys with anything else, but if you truly want to experience the delicious mids of the nightowl:

Eric Clapton - Unplugged

My oh my... goosebumps!

Nirvana and Alice in Chains Unplugged are awesome too! The NO does wonderfully with acoustic music, bringing some warmth without sacrificing soundstage.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #1,360 of 2,528
Nirvana and Alice in Chains Unplugged are awesome too! The NO does wonderfully with acoustic music, bringing some warmth without sacrificing soundstage.

Alice in Chains' Jar of Flies album is just as good. As is Unamplified by Surfact, probably lesser known than others but worth a listen if you're a fan of Alice in Chains, Nirvana et al.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #1,361 of 2,528
Hi all, I'm currently staging the thinksound on2 in search of a 'portable nightowl'. My first impressions are 'same same but different'

The thinksound is also quite laidback and very musical (is that the quality of wood?). I'd say it's a little brighter, but definitely not in an analytical sense.
The soundstage is a lot smaller. I think the resolution is impressive for such a small headphone and on par with the nightowl.
Treble is a tad more present and the mids have less chocolate. Soundwise and comfortwise it's really no comparison.
But it's tiny and doesn't make you look like a dork in public. Headphones are all about compromises.

Will I keep it? Not sure yet. As all my other headphones and iem's, they still make me long for the nightowl.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #1,362 of 2,528
Try listening to the NO late at night (2-3 am) on the couch with the lights off.

It’s almost designed for it.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,363 of 2,528
It has been a while since I posted on my Nightowl. Who knows how many hours I have on this puppy at this point. It is probably 400 or so hours by now. I must admit, what I said before about the headphone finally being burned in at 150 hours of use was not totally accurate. It turns out that in the last two weeks or so, the Nightowl has continued to change and mature in its sound. I now have a slightly updated EQ to use with the pleather pads. Anyone who has had their Nightowl for quite a while, and knows it is fully burned in, should give this EQ a try with the pleather pads. I think you will be totally impressed with it. The improvement is drastic from the stock tuning the headphone comes with. This makes the headphone sound fantastic, and very balanced right across the frequency range. I will put up a final EQ to use with the ultrasuede pads later as well.

EQ with pleather pads:

Pre-amplfying: - 1

80Hz: - 0.5
100Hz: - 0.5
125Hz: - 1
160Hz: - 1
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
400Hz: - 0.5
1.6kHz: + 0.5
2kHz: + 0.5
2.5kHz: + 0.5
3.15kHz: + 1
4kHz: + 0.5
5kHz: + 0.5
8kHz: + 0.5
16kHz: + 0.5

Edit: I hope everyone else is still enjoying their pair too. More people need to experience the Nightowl before the remaining stock in stores in gone.

If anyone decides to try this EQ, you will notice as well that the soundstage gains slightly more width and depth as well as a result of the reduction in the midbass. The soundstage on the Nightowl is already very impressive by default, but this EQ improves its capabilities even further. The reduction in the midbass also opens up the treble, and allows more detail to come through in the upper frequencies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back