AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #1,396 of 2,529
Does anyone have both the NightHawk Liquidwood and the NightHawk Carbon? I ordered what I thought was the Carbon, but in fact it was the Liquidwood. My fault. Is there a significant difference?

You are so lucky. Those are hard to find and come with the original hybrid pads that some including myself like the best of the three pad variations. There may be problems with the cables... be very gentle with the long silver one, but the one that comes with the Carbon has other issues... really sprongy and and you are stuck with a mic. Be happy:)

You might want to come over to the Nighthawk thread with fellow Nighthawk lovers:)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...essions-and-discussion-thread.749762/page-558

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #1,398 of 2,529
IMO, the liquid wood are also a better looking HP!

I like both colors but I remember reading that the reason they came up with the carbon color was because although Europeans liked the wood, many Americans did not... they said it was like the interior of an old Buick. LOL. Funny thing is, I had a Buick with that on the dashboard and knobss and stuff! I doubt they did a nationwide survey. Probably just a few people at a Can Jam.

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #1,399 of 2,529
Does anyone have both the NightHawk Liquidwood and the NightHawk Carbon? I ordered what I thought was the Carbon, but in fact it was the Liquidwood. My fault. Is there a significant difference?
I think no difference, but simplification of production, and hence the cost reduction achieved.
I had owl carbon which has loose fit rather than tight fit of the ear-cup connectors for cable, that is opposite of their claim on Carbon series.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,400 of 2,529
Thanks folks. Very useful links on the cables.

Just opened my NIghtOwls. Man they are super comfortable.
So far I am liking these a lot. Base is a bit low; not so hard hitting but I suppose that’s just me getting used to the nature of the headphones.

I previously owned a pair of used nighthawks. Bass was punchy and deep.
I got my new nightowls a few days ago. My first impression is the bass is not equal to the nighthawks, not as punchy or deep. I assume they are just not broken in yet. Working on that now so we shall see.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #1,401 of 2,529
I previously owned a pair of used nighthawks. Bass was punchy and deep.
I got my new nightowls a few days ago. My first impression is the bass is not equal to the nighthawks, not as punchy or deep. I assume they are just not broken in yet. Working on that now so we shall see.

Which pads are on them?

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #1,403 of 2,529
Currently have about 48 hours on them so I'm going to give them their 150 hrs to be fair

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,405 of 2,529
Stayed home sick today, and I was all about the NightOwl. Something about that warm sound that was very soothing.

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,408 of 2,529
I finally got myself a balanced cable (Blue Dragon) for these and am using it with my ifi Nano BL. It's hard to do a side-by-side comparison (I've never used a balanced amp before), but I'm noticing a wider soundstage. In fact, I almost can't believe these are closed-back given how wide the soundstage sounds with a balanced amp. It's especially noticeable with my classical music.

Yes, I'm sure I paid too much for this cable, but I hear an improvement to these already-great headphones :)

Dec 1, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,410 of 2,529
All I listen to is heavy metal and hard rock. I am also into gaming. The Nightowl excels at handling both tasks. You will be very surprised using the Nightowl for gaming. Not only does it offer great noise isolation, but it has a large soundstage and impressive imaging which matches many open back headphones. The Nightowl does not sound like a closed back at all. If a person closed their eyes, and you put this headphone on their head, they would believe it was an open back headphone they were listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back