AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Sep 10, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #1,126 of 2,529
I own both. It's often hard to decide, but here's what I "feel". The hawk is more laid-back. It feels a little more open, as in even less of a sense of sound being pushed off the back wall. owl is the most open back sounding closed back iveI ever heard, but Hawk just does it that much better. I'm a person who doesn't like my vocals up in my face, so I prefer the Hawks with vocals. I feel like with the Hawks while clear, the voicing is a few rows back, so I can actually turn them volume up a little louder before the mids become too much, which also means I get more low end, which is a positive with the urban genres I listen too. Also, it's that much more relaxing than the Owl. With the Owl, I choose it number 1 for instrumwnin. I like to have my horns, guitars, pianos, etc. A little more in front, more present. So I choose the Owl as my number 1 for jazz, classical, etc. With all this said, I can do both with both, and still love it. For people who want a more "traditional" staging, the Owl is closer to normal presentation with the more forward mids between the two. Because of the more recessed mids of the Hawk, it feels like it has more low end punch because you can raise the volume more to get the mids at the same level, which presents a stronger bass thump. These really are my favorite sets of cans, lol. Hopefully this helped. Oh, BTW, imI either hybrid pads or microsuede. The pleather pads change the treble and sounds more artificial espwciespe with instruments

I do not have the Owl but I agree with everything you said about the Hawk.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #1,127 of 2,529
I own both. It's often hard to decide, but here's what I "feel". The hawk is more laid-back. It feels a little more open, as in even less of a sense of sound being pushed off the back wall. owl is the most open back sounding closed back iveI ever heard, but Hawk just does it that much better. I'm a person who doesn't like my vocals up in my face, so I prefer the Hawks with vocals. I feel like with the Hawks while clear, the voicing is a few rows back, so I can actually turn them volume up a little louder before the mids become too much, which also means I get more low end, which is a positive with the urban genres I listen too. Also, it's that much more relaxing than the Owl. With the Owl, I choose it number 1 for instrumwnin. I like to have my horns, guitars, pianos, etc. A little more in front, more present. So I choose the Owl as my number 1 for jazz, classical, etc. With all this said, I can do both with both, and still love it. For people who want a more "traditional" staging, the Owl is closer to normal presentation with the more forward mids between the two. Because of the more recessed mids of the Hawk, it feels like it has more low end punch because you can raise the volume more to get the mids at the same level, which presents a stronger bass thump. These really are my favorite sets of cans, lol. Hopefully this helped. Oh, BTW, imI either hybrid pads or microsuede. The pleather pads change the treble and sounds more artificial espwciespe with instruments

Thank you for the detailed take on these two. You prefer the microsuede on both?

I found it interesting that in interviews I've seen with Skyler Gray and William Low, they say some may prefer the sound signature of Nightowl but they clearly seem to favor the Nighthawk themselves.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,128 of 2,529
Thank you for the detailed take on these two. You prefer the microsuede on both?

I found it interesting that in interviews I've seen with Skyler Gray and William Low, they say some may prefer the sound signature of Nightowl but they clearly seem to favor the Nighthawk themselves.

Yes they do. I don't think a closed version was in the original plan but rather it came about because of the people who did not appreciate the Nighhawl sound signature.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,129 of 2,529

I prefer the hybrid pads. As in the ones that came with the original Nighthawk. There are 3 types of pads. Hybrid, Boost (pleather), and microsuede. I also prefer the Hawk if I had to choose one, but the Owl does some things a little better. Again, the Owl while still being unique, gives a sound that's a little closer to the norm. So, I can see how some would prefer it. Sounds a little more like what people are used to

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,130 of 2,529
I don't think a closed version was in the original plan but rather it came about because of the people who did not appreciate what the Nighhawl sound signature.

I remember reading that they developed the Owl because they were being inundated for a closed version of the Hawk i.e. for those that appreciated the Hawk's sound but needed the isolation. That's what they said were trying to achieve anyway; a closed Hawk. Obviously it wasn't entirely possible with the limitations that the closed form brought hence the Owl's eventual sig.

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,131 of 2,529
I prefer the hybrid pads. As in the ones that came with the original Nighthawk. There are 3 types of pads. Hybrid, Boost (pleather), and microsuede. I also prefer the Hawk if I had to choose one, but the Owl does some things a little better. Again, the Owl while still being unique, gives a sound that's a little closer to the norm. So, I can see how some would prefer it. Sounds a little more like what people are used to

The hybrid pads do not seem to be available anywhere. How would you describe the differences between the 3 pads?

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,132 of 2,529
I remember reading that they developed the Owl because they were being inundated for a closed version of the Hawk i.e. for those that appreciated the Hawk's sound but needed the isolation. That's what they said were trying to achieve anyway; a closed Hawk. Obviously it wasn't entirely possible with the limitations that the closed form brought hence the Owl's eventual sig.

Yes, and also I do think that once they had it in the works they tried to make it sound more "mainstream."

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,133 of 2,529
The hybrid pads do not seem to be available anywhere. How would you describe the differences between the 3 pads?

Skylar Gray wrote a long post about that in the Nighthawk thread when they were announced. I will try to find it.

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #1,134 of 2,529
Hybrids being the flat response, microsuede is like a few db reduction in the sub-bass to slight deduction in lower midbass. Boost(pleather pads) a several decibal increase in the treble response. Treble "sparkles" but has an artificial sound to it.

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #1,138 of 2,529
Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #1,139 of 2,529
Is the comfort level about the same with all 3?

That depends on if certain materials feel good on your skin. That is personal. I think the microsuede one feels cooler in hot weather than the others. Some people hate the feeling of microsuede. There is no difference in the padding or shape.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,140 of 2,529
Is the comfort level about the same with all 3?
Comfort is exactly the same. More pleather retains more heat, but padding is exactly the same. Microsuede are the most cool due to outer surface material

Users who are viewing this thread

Back