AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,112 of 2,529
20180908_164616.jpg Hi. The B&W Cable arrived. It fits easily. It's very thin. I don't know what that means sound quality wise.

Sep 10, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #1,120 of 2,529
I may end up replacing my cable soon as well. That is the only fault in design that the Nightowl has. The cable is too stiff, and way too short.
I'm understanding of most of the dislike with the cable, seeing as it rotates easy, as it's one thick cable, but I used it exclusively, till I decided to go balanced. My stuff is all portable, so I didn't need a long cable.

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,121 of 2,529
I'm understanding of most of the dislike with the cable, seeing as it rotates easy, as it's one thick cable, but I used it exclusively, till I decided to go balanced. My stuff is all portable, so I didn't need a long cable.

What balanced cable are you using?

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,123 of 2,529
I think both are excellent, but my preference is the NightOwl. They are clearer and more balanced-sounding to my ears. I don't miss anything in the way of imaging or soundstage as compared to their semi-open brothers. More isolation than the Hawk, too... obviously. Fit and comfort are identical.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #1,124 of 2,529
Sep 10, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,125 of 2,529
To those that have spent a good amount of time with both the Nighthawk and the Nightowl, can you please share your thoughts and preferences...
I own both. It's often hard to decide, but here's what I "feel". The hawk is more laid-back. It feels a little more open, as in even less of a sense of sound being pushed off the back wall. owl is the most open back sounding closed back iveI ever heard, but Hawk just does it that much better. I'm a person who doesn't like my vocals up in my face, so I prefer the Hawks with vocals. I feel like with the Hawks while clear, the voicing is a few rows back, so I can actually turn them volume up a little louder before the mids become too much, which also means I get more low end, which is a positive with the urban genres I listen too. Also, it's that much more relaxing than the Owl. With the Owl, I choose it number 1 for instrumwnin. I like to have my horns, guitars, pianos, etc. A little more in front, more present. So I choose the Owl as my number 1 for jazz, classical, etc. With all this said, I can do both with both, and still love it. For people who want a more "traditional" staging, the Owl is closer to normal presentation with the more forward mids between the two. Because of the more recessed mids of the Hawk, it feels like it has more low end punch because you can raise the volume more to get the mids at the same level, which presents a stronger bass thump. These really are my favorite sets of cans, lol. Hopefully this helped. Oh, BTW, imI either hybrid pads or microsuede. The pleather pads change the treble and sounds more artificial espwciespe with instruments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back