AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Sep 5, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,083 of 2,528
I thouht the carbon nighthawk and the nightowl have different materials. But its just the paint?

The original NH lets the liquid wood effect show through a clear glaze. The NH Carbon and the NO use the carbon colored paint.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #1,084 of 2,528
From their site:

In the case of the original NightHawk, the virtue and beauty of Liquid Wood shines through a durable UV coating, the careful processing of which almost completely eliminates emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and hazardous air pollutants (HAPs). Compared to traditional lacquers, varnishes, and poly finishes, our coating is environmentally sustainable and poses no health hazards for the technicians who apply it.

The subtly lustrous hue of our Carbon models’ earcups is achieved by employing a process similar to one used in the luxury automobile industry: Several primer coats set the foundation upon which we introduce multiple base coats of Carbon Grey Metallic high-gloss automotive paint. On top of this, we apply several clear coats that are then instantly cured by UV light, before a careful hand polishing produces a high-gloss finish. Again, we use only high-solids paints with minimal volatile organic compounds—safe for the environment as well as those who apply it.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,087 of 2,528
Wile I haven't seen either carbon in person..I thought the Liquid wood look was great.
Bern

I read somewhere that Americans thought the original looked too much like the interior of an old Buick... lol. I actually had a Buick like that- some of the interior trim:) I like the look of both but I have brown eyes... so I think the original suits me best:)

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,088 of 2,528
The carbons have an inoffensive look. I don't think many would even notice that they weren't just everyday plastic without close inspection.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #1,089 of 2,528
The carbons have an inoffensive look. I don't think many would even notice that they weren't just everyday plastic without close inspection.

When I was first thinking about buying the Nighthawk nearly two years ago, the Carbon was announced. I was actually going to wait for it but then the price dropped so dramatically on the original that I just had to get it. I have thought about the Night Owl but I have too many other good closed phones.... like the Sennheiser HD630VB that @Bern2 seems willing to part with, and the Shure SHR1540. I have no desire to trade either of those away. For portability I have a few others.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,090 of 2,528
When I was first thinking about buying the Nighthawk nearly two years ago, the Carbon was announced. I was actually going to wait for it but then the price dropped so dramatically on the original that I just had to get it. I have thought about the Night Owl but I have too many other good closed phones.... like the Sennheiser HD630VB that @Bern2 seems willing to part with, and the Shure SHR1540. I have no desire to trade either of those away. For portability I have a few others.

I found the NO to be a step up in most aspects from the 1540. I still keep my set around for office use because they're still very good cans, but find myself bringing the Owls in more frequently because I know what I'm missing.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,091 of 2,528
I found the NO to be a step up in most aspects from the 1540. I still keep my set around for office use because they're still very good cans, but find myself bringing the Owls in more frequently because I know what I'm missing.

I think I like the 1540 more than you do... I think they are perfect! For me. Some of the complaints that I have read are not what I hear. I think having the NH is enough for me. Isolation is not important to me.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,092 of 2,528
I think I like the 1540 more than you do...

Ha, I in no way think the 1540 have any flaws and agree about the complaints often mentioned in the 1540 thread not being what I hear, or not being what I consider a "negative". I had the Shure for 3 years and nothing out there could tempt me to replace them. It was only when the Owl dropped in price that I decided to grab one before they vanished forever.

I actually think the two sound very similar, with the NO being a more organic sounding version, but they're both excellent closed backs. Probably the two comfiest as well!

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #1,093 of 2,528
I think I like the 1540 more than you do... I think they are perfect! For me. Some of the complaints that I have read are not what I hear. I think having the NH is enough for me. Isolation is not important to me.
I have both Owl and Hawk. The Owl has more forward sounding mids, closer to your typical headphone. Soundstage is still great. I love themcborh, and my favorite often ends up being whicjevwhone I have on my head at the time. Instruments sounds just a bit better on the Owl, and I think I prefer the bit recessed vocals on the hawk.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #1,094 of 2,528
I got a pair of these today - the seller advertised as the nightowl but they were the nighthawk carbon - BNIB sealed. I am just breaking them in right now and they are a fun pair of headphones. I am just switching between my hifiman edition x and NH off my LG V30 as well as balanced off my cheap fiio q1 m2 / surface book and while they are fun headphones I think they will need some serious eq'ing. I will have to read through this thread to find out the eq settings you guys recommend.

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #1,095 of 2,528
I think having the NH is enough for me. Isolation is not important to me.

Please keep thinking that, because if you get the Owls, I'm sure that you will convince me to do the same thing.

Hmm, deep down inside i really want the owls. So forget what I said, go get'em! :pray:

I have both Owl and Hawk. The Owl has more forward sounding mids, closer to your typical headphone. Soundstage is still great. I love themcborh, and my favorite often ends up being whicjevwhone I have on my head at the time. Instruments sounds just a bit better on the Owl, and I think I prefer the bit recessed vocals on the hawk.

I have the Hawks. You kind of confirm that I should also have the Owls :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back