AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
May 13, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #2,176 of 2,529
Which Venus Audio Cable ? And how does it compare to the Periapt?

This: https://www.venusaudio.net/product-page/10-hd700-hifiman-2-5mm-audioquest-balanced-headphone-cable

The Venus cable is much more supple, making it easier for transport and use, but there is some microphonics from the portion of the wire closest to the cups. More than with the Periapt. The slimmer connectors on the Venus cable also fit better into the cups. The Periapt is a bit heavier and more sturdy in the build. That company is also faster at fulfilling orders (but these days who knows). The sound is close enough between the two that I cannot hear any difference.

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #2,178 of 2,529
What do you mean by that? I would say the exact opposite, they aren't reliant to any source or amp.

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #2,179 of 2,529
Not to mention that the treble and midrange frequencies are depressed compared to the lower frequencies making the headphone sound rather rolled off so if you had a warmer harmonic distortion such as typical of some tube amps/tubes it would really become a mess.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #2,180 of 2,529
Not to mention that the treble and midrange frequencies are depressed compared to the lower frequencies making the headphone sound rather rolled off so if you had a warmer harmonic distortion such as typical of some tube amps/tubes it would really become a mess.

Yeah I've always found them best on very clean solid state amps. Not to mention the high output impedance of some tube amps would generally be considered a no-no for such low impedance headphones

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #2,181 of 2,529
I've been out of the high-end headphone world for a few years now. Kids and other commitments kept me from listening much at home so I sold my gear and went with a pair of noise cancelling, wireless headphones for work and travel. Now that I'm working from home for the foreseeable future, I got the urge to build up a modest setup again. I managed to find a new pair of NightOwls and an iFi hip dac. Loving the setup so far! From my recollection, I like the NightOwls better than the NIghtHawk but it's been too long to really say that for sure. I also found a dealer in the US that was able to get a set of hybrid pads, I don't have them yet but they are in transit. Looking forward to seeing how those sound.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #2,182 of 2,529
I've been out of the high-end headphone world for a few years now. Kids and other commitments kept me from listening much at home so I sold my gear and went with a pair of noise cancelling, wireless headphones for work and travel. Now that I'm working from home for the foreseeable future, I got the urge to build up a modest setup again. I managed to find a new pair of NightOwls and an iFi hip dac. Loving the setup so far! From my recollection, I like the NightOwls better than the NIghtHawk but it's been too long to really say that for sure. I also found a dealer in the US that was able to get a set of hybrid pads, I don't have them yet but they are in transit. Looking forward to seeing how those sound.

Wow, let us know if you really do get the hybrid pads. I won't believe it until I hear you have them in your hands. New stock has been gone for almost a year now.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #2,183 of 2,529
Wow, let us know if you really do get the hybrid pads. I won't believe it until I hear you have them in your hands. New stock has been gone for almost a year now.
I stumbled on them through this dealer https://privatetechgroup.com/ they had them listed as Nightbird Pads so they didn't show up in top search results. The listing is gone now so I suspect I may have got the last ones. Fingers crossed that they're the right ones.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #2,187 of 2,529
Audiovalve Solaris.

Tried a Little Dot Mk 1+ too and also sounds better than solid state amps.

Good god, that is a seriously high end tube amp!

I don't hear much of a difference between the Schiit Vali 2 and Benchmark DAC1 headphone amps with my Nightowl. Maybe a touch more richness in the midrange with the Vali 2. But these are not considered high end headphone amps so I think that makes sense.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #2,188 of 2,529
After having owned both the hawk and Owl, and liking the Owl pretty well, I would really encourage you to look outside that sound signature approach. You don't need to go for highly etched detailed focused headphones, but it is noticeable, and in a very positive way once you restore some detail missed by the Audioquest headphones. At least I can't see having your entire headphone collection (if that is your situation) based on signatures that are pretty rolled off. Without a doubt they are pleasant and musical, but I have to admit, after having been immersed in those signatures for a time and then using my other headphones, it was quite a welcome relief to add in what was missing. Your results may vary, but that was my experience for what it is worth.

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #2,189 of 2,529
Pads arrived today. They're definitely the hybrid pads. Gave them a quick try but I think I prefer the boost pads at this point. The nice thing is, I now have all 3 pad types so it gives me some flexibility in matching and sound signature.

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #2,190 of 2,529
Pads arrived today. They're definitely the hybrid pads. Gave them a quick try but I think I prefer the boost pads at this point. The nice thing is, I now have all 3 pad types so it gives me some flexibility in matching and sound signature.
I used to hate the boost pads, but after spending more time with items, I'm ok with them for my nightowl. I use hybrid pads for the nighthawk. So the hawk is my mellow syrupy headphone, and the owl is my brighter treble enhanced headphone 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back