AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
May 6, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #2,161 of 2,528
(2) After about 4-5 days of use I noticed that the audio began fading out whenever the cable is moved around the ¼ inch jack going into my headphone amp-indicating a short in the cable or bad connection. (I’m using it with the plug adapter supplied by Audioquest.) Have any of you had this problem with their cable?

Thanks again!
I have the NightHawks (2 pair) and the adapter up to 1/4" is crappola. I would start there first with this problem. I ended up getting a HD700 Sennheiser cable from Ebay, but there's several cheaper options available. I would skip the adapter route personally.

Bern

May 6, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #2,162 of 2,528
Hello. I just joined the site after recently purchasing the NightOwls from audio dealer listing them as “B-STOCK” that they obtained directly from Audioquest. I’m a novice in the higher-end headphone arena and seeking some advice and any recommendations would be appreciated as follows:

(1) Break-in. I probably have between 30-40 hrs. of use so far. Overall I’d say the bass is bit muddy and the mids can sound muffled, hollow, and cuppy. Also the vocals sound distant and congested. In short, thus far I’m not impressed. I know the recommended break-in is 150 hours – but at what point will I begin to notice a difference?

(2) After about 4-5 days of use I noticed that the audio began fading out whenever the cable is moved around the ¼ inch jack going into my headphone amp-indicating a short in the cable or bad connection. (I’m using it with the plug adapter supplied by Audioquest.) Have any of you had this problem with their cable?

(3) The cans didn’t come with any optional ultra suede earpads – the pads on there now appear to be protein leather but I’m not sure-- the right/left markers are NOT printed inside the pads. Could these be the hybrids or another type?

Thanks again!

1. Opinions will vary, but I don't believe there's any real "break-in" with these. I suspect Audioquest touts break-in because they know these headphones sound a bit different than the way most headphones are tuned and they want your brain to adjust to the new sound signature. You might experience a little bit of change as the earpads soften up a bit, but that's probably it. Otherwise it's just a matter of adjusting to the sound.

2. The included cable and adapter are crap, replacing them with pretty much any "Sennheiser HD700" aftermarket cable is an improvement just in terms of build. Don't ask me why a cable company messed up the cables on this and the original Nighthawk so badly lol

3. They're almost definitely just the protein leather pads, those are the only ones still available and the NightOwl never came with hybrid pads. The replacement OEM protein pads don't have the L and R markings, but they're otherwise the same as the original protein leather pads as far as I can tell. The hybrids had a ring of microsuede material on the interior surface of the pads (not the part that touches your ear), but those only came with the original wood-grain color NightHawks, not the Owls or Nighthawk Carbons

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #2,163 of 2,528
The Nightowl adapter has several reports of making a poor connection, allegedly the tip is like 1 millimetre too long so the other parts don't connect exactly right. The left and right not being printed does seem odd.

Soundwise, the NO is an odd one. At the beginning I had your first impressions, I found it to be overly dark and congested. It stayed that way until I changed the earpads to some ZMF look alike pads I had laying around and changed the cable for another one, I also had laying around. Now, it's surprisingly good. Clear, punchy, controlled, extended bass. The mids aren't recessed and the highs have just the right extension. It even has a really nice timbre. I've had it for over six months now, so I can't say it was only burn in.

I'm generally not big con cables, but on this case it did open up the NO. The pads gave it that extra spit shine to the sound signature. With this quarantine the Nightowls are barely any time off my head, aside from eating and sleeping.

I'm not going to suggest to give it time, if it really isn't clicking with you, part with them. I gave them time because I've used really bright headphones for years, so I wanted something darker.

May 6, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #2,164 of 2,528
Hello. I just joined the site after recently purchasing the NightOwls from audio dealer listing them as “B-STOCK” that they obtained directly from Audioquest. I’m a novice in the higher-end headphone arena and seeking some advice and any recommendations would be appreciated as follows:

(1) Break-in. I probably have between 30-40 hrs. of use so far. Overall I’d say the bass is bit muddy and the mids can sound muffled, hollow, and cuppy. Also the vocals sound distant and congested. In short, thus far I’m not impressed. I know the recommended break-in is 150 hours – but at what point will I begin to notice a difference?

(3) The cans didn’t come with any optional ultra suede earpads – the pads on there now appear to be protein leather but I’m not sure-- the right/left markers are NOT printed inside the pads. Could these be the hybrids or another type?

Thanks again!

it’s always really hard to say with break-in whether and when the change happens. I thought mine sounded pretty good from the get-go, but a bit muffled maybe. Also, despite being easy to drive, they seem to be amp dependent. So I’d test with various amps before making conclusions about the sound.

The cable is crap. I get some of that connection problem at the jack too. Add in the too short length, microphonics and stiffness - all the more reason to replace the cable. I was A/B’ing the other day, and it is amazing how much the OCC cable clears things up - almost different headphones.

do the pads have any micro-suede or are they all pleather?

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #2,165 of 2,528

Thanks again!

My NOs probably came from the same place so I can answer a few of your questions.

(1) I'd ask what are you driving them with? I don't experience them being muffled, cuppy, distant or congested. More so the opposite.

(2) the 1/4 adapter is known to have problems. I personally haven't used it but if you have another one around, try it.

(3) No extra pads with these, they just don't exist anymore. The come with the protein leather. It's possible to use aftermarket pads, just search through the thread or look at the picture gallery for the quickest method.

May 6, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #2,166 of 2,528
Thanks everyone for your very quick and informative responses!

Re: the cable 1/4 adapter issue, I used the 3.5 mini plug directly into my computer jack and other devices without the audio drop so that at least confirms it's the supplied AQ adapter. (I'm shaking my head wondering how a high end cable company managed to screw this up!)

Re: the Amp. I'm using the ProJect desktop prebox S2 combo DAC/Amp. I know it has pretty low headphone output power (6.6mW/600ohms, 68mW/32ohms) which is why I thought the Owls would be a good fit at 25 ohms. I also wanted to try closed back cans for my home work station and was considering the Meze 99's, but the Owls got such rave reviews and obviously have a strong following. Don't get me wrong, I think they're well built, uber comfortable and have a nice warm signature. Perhaps I'm just not used to the more laid-back sound and with time my ears will fully appreciate.

Re: Replacement cables. I've read that some of you really like the Arctic OC--but at over $150 a pop, that seems a bit excessive unless they will drastically improve the sound signature. Any cheaper OCC cables out there that you can recommend? (One of you folks recommended the HD 700 cable but a quick search revealed they are are no longer available.)

Thanks again for you recommendations. BTW, this is a great blog.

May 6, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,167 of 2,528
Thanks everyone for your very quick and informative responses!

Re: the cable 1/4 adapter issue, I used the 3.5 mini plug directly into my computer jack and other devices without the audio drop so that at least confirms it's the supplied AQ adapter. (I'm shaking my head wondering how a high end cable company managed to screw this up!)

Re: the Amp. I'm using the ProJect desktop prebox S2 combo DAC/Amp. I know it has pretty low headphone output power (6.6mW/600ohms, 68mW/32ohms) which is why I thought the Owls would be a good fit at 25 ohms. I also wanted to try closed back cans for my home work station and was considering the Meze 99's, but the Owls got such rave reviews and obviously have a strong following. Don't get me wrong, I think they're well built, uber comfortable and have a nice warm signature. Perhaps I'm just not used to the more laid-back sound and with time my ears will fully appreciate.

Re: Replacement cables. I've read that some of you really like the Arctic OC--but at over $150 a pop, that seems a bit excessive unless they will drastically improve the sound signature. Any cheaper OCC cables out there that you can recommend? (One of you folks recommended the HD 700 cable but a quick search revealed they are are no longer available.)

Thanks again for you recommendations. BTW, this is a great blog.

They have a very hard to pin-down sound quality. To me they have subdued, laid-back or even muffled macro-dynamics, but very articulate, clearly rendered micro-dynamics. This results in a more surreal sound quality (or the sort of etched stars against a black sky description). It usually sounds odd at first, but then the more you listen, the more right it becomes (or for some, it never sounds right).

Re the cable, yes, it definitely drastically improves the sound quality. Everything increases in clarity, but it retains the SQ I described. Whether a cheaper (or non OCC) cable would do this, I have no idea, as this is the only one I have tied. Anyone close by (NorCal) is welcome to try my cable.

May 11, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,168 of 2,528
They have a very hard to pin-down sound quality. To me they have subdued, laid-back or even muffled macro-dynamics, but very articulate, clearly rendered micro-dynamics. This results in a more surreal sound quality (or the sort of etched stars against a black sky description). It usually sounds odd at first, but then the more you listen, the more right it becomes (or for some, it never sounds right).

Re the cable, yes, it definitely drastically improves the sound quality. Everything increases in clarity, but it retains the SQ I described. Whether a cheaper (or non OCC) cable would do this, I have no idea, as this is the only one I have tied. Anyone close by (NorCal) is welcome to try my cable.

I am in the same boat about this damn cable for the NO. It annoys the hell out of me. And it has a 2 pole 3.5mm that does not work with my ibasso DX160. Apparently the DAP needs a 1 pole connector?

On Ebay i see the arctic cable for 89.99 (4 wire) and 129.99 (8 wire). This is less than the "ION" series at $149.99 on the main site. You have any idea if these are the same cable?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cab...hash=item215f69630b:m:m8FWjoWF8y0UdNVVJsFgKag

I'm Oakland, CA btw :)

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #2,170 of 2,528
If you're OK with soldering, why not just make your own cable? I've had everything I need to buy on the shopping cart, but with the quarantine and everything else going on, I've held off that purchase. I think with around...what 50 bucks? worth of materials you can make a cable that bought would cost you at least 3 times that.

May 11, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #2,171 of 2,528
If you're OK with soldering, why not just make your own cable? I've had everything I need to buy on the shopping cart, but with the quarantine and everything else going on, I've held off that purchase. I think with around...what 50 bucks? worth of materials you can make a cable that bought would cost you at least 3 times that.

Don't own a soldering iron and have very little experience with them. Also have little interest in DIY stuff. I'd rather pay someone who does it for a living.

May 11, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #2,172 of 2,528
May 11, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #2,173 of 2,528
Don't own a soldering iron and have very little experience with them. Also have little interest in DIY stuff. I'd rather pay someone who does it for a living.

Look at the process of an eight braided cable:

That's all there is to it. A pure silver 8 braided cable costs upwards of 500 dollars. The materials, like 70 at most, if you include the soldering iron; which doesn't have to be a super expensive thing, you could make your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back