AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Apr 9, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #2,133 of 2,528
A simple awl seems to do the trick. I have, actually, deep and angled Brainwavz HM5 pads I've bought for my Fostex T50RP. Took less 10 minutes to replace.

Its to early to jump to any conclusions about the sound, but I do not notice anything out of order.

2020-04-09 19.20.45.jpg
2020-04-09 19.19.29.jpg
2020-04-09 19.33.15.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #2,141 of 2,528
I have it here. Original Brainwavz Hybrid. Very bright pads. The bass is unfortunately lost.

I ordered directly from Brainwavz Sheepskin Leather.
Brainwavz is currently offering discounts.

After a day long testing I've managed to pin point some kind of sibilance, that ruins the sound. Almost the same thing manifests on my Fostex T50RP with deep pads as well. I wonder if pads with depth close to original ones will work.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #2,142 of 2,528
These headphones have grown on me. I actually love the stock pads now.

There are just a few things with this and maybe I need more power or different amp, but to really get these to shine they fit has to be 100% sealed and they have to be at a pretty high volume. But they still have this congested sound like the sound is being forced into my ears or that there just isn't room for it to breathe.

What power are you all running your NightOwls at? I have mine hooked up to an 800mw Cayin c5 amp/dac.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #2,143 of 2,528
These headphones have grown on me. I actually love the stock pads now.

There are just a few things with this and maybe I need more power or different amp, but to really get these to shine they fit has to be 100% sealed and they have to be at a pretty high volume. But they still have this congested sound like the sound is being forced into my ears or that there just isn't room for it to breathe.

What power are you all running your NightOwls at? I have mine hooked up to an 800mw Cayin c5 amp/dac.

Have you tried changing the cable? I had that same congested feeling, after I changed the cable to a regular one meant for Hifiman, the congestion vanished.

Apr 11, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #2,145 of 2,528
Have you tried changing the cable? I had that same congested feeling, after I changed the cable to a regular one meant for Hifiman, the congestion vanished.

I may give that a go next since I think I'll be keeping these headphones. Plus I hate the stock cable. It's nice that it has a built in mic for gaming but besides that it's been such an annoying cable. I don't see how a cable may help with sound since it's more of a pad problem. But I'll update this if I get a new cable soon and if it makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back