AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Apr 11, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2,146 of 2,529
A simple awl seems to do the trick. I have, actually, deep and angled Brainwavz HM5 pads I've bought for my Fostex T50RP. Took less 10 minutes to replace.

Its to early to jump to any conclusions about the sound, but I do not notice anything out of order.

2020-04-09 19.20.45.jpg
2020-04-09 19.19.29.jpg
2020-04-09 19.33.15.jpg

Does the bass still have that nice thump to it with those thicker pads? I was thinking about getting some thicker pads to try out as well but I do like the visceral feel the stock pads have when the volume is turned up a bit.

May 3, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,151 of 2,529
Received NightOwls yesterday and Love them, hate the cable.

Would this Meze 2.5mm cable work? Looks like it, it's long which I want and cheap and in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756HSDNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, it will work. It is 2.5mm mono on the plugs for the earcups, so exactly what you need. Plus they are long and thin, so they will insert well into the Nightowls. It looks like a decent, very affordable cable. But the 3 meter length would be annoying to me.

May 3, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #2,152 of 2,529
Yes, it will work. It is 2.5mm mono on the plugs for the earcups, so exactly what you need. Plus they are long and thin, so they will insert well into the Nightowls. It looks like a decent, very affordable cable. But the 3 meter length would be annoying to me.
No kidding. You could go put the garbage out while they were still plugged into a home amp.

May 3, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #2,153 of 2,529
Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #2,154 of 2,529
I thought Meze used 3.5mm plugs at the ear cups? The Nightowl uses 2.5mm plugs. I'd look for Sennheiser HD700 cables, those will definitely be compatible

Yes, I thought these are 2.5mm on the earcup side. See one of the questions:

Question:
Are these dual 2.5mm into 3.5mm?
Answer:
Two 2,5mm mono into 3,5mm stereo. I use it for Denon AH-D7200 headphones.

But you are right, in the photo they look more like 3.5mm, so would not work on the Nightowl.

May 4, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #2,155 of 2,529

Question:
Answer:

But you are right, in the photo they look more like 3.5mm, so would not work on the Nightowl.

Yeah those questions can be answered by any random person, they're not reliable except possibly if the seller is the one answering

May 4, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #2,156 of 2,529
I thought Meze used 3.5mm plugs at the ear cups? The Nightowl uses 2.5mm plugs. I'd look for Sennheiser HD700 cables, those will definitely be compatible

Question:
Answer:

Thanks guys, I was able to cancel my order and order this instead. At least one reviewer is using with NightHawks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P1F4TMP/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #2,157 of 2,529
May 5, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2,158 of 2,529
Just picked up a pair of Night Owls. Looking at either a Dragonfly Red or Dragonfly Cobalt to pair with these out of my phone. The form factor of the Dragonfly's are really important for me to be able to stick my phone in my pocket as I walk around the house, otherwise might have considered the Mojo or something similar. From what I understand, a little different sound signature on each. Anyone have any experience with either the Red or Cobalt with the NOs? Thanks!

Just the DF black. And I will say that it synergises well with both night-birds and sounds great as a simple, low cost solution. I believe the red or cobalt will introduce more detail & sharpness, which the birds can handle being on the warm/polite side. That said, I don't believe these little dragonflies will compete with a bigger "proper" system. They are surprisingly good with the DFB, but several levels above that through my Microzotl MZ2 tube amp.

May 6, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #2,160 of 2,529
Hello. I just joined the site after recently purchasing the NightOwls from audio dealer listing them as “B-STOCK” that they obtained directly from Audioquest. I’m a novice in the higher-end headphone arena and seeking some advice and any recommendations would be appreciated as follows:

(1) Break-in. I probably have between 30-40 hrs. of use so far. Overall I’d say the bass is bit muddy and the mids can sound muffled, hollow, and cuppy. Also the vocals sound distant and congested. In short, thus far I’m not impressed. I know the recommended break-in is 150 hours – but at what point will I begin to notice a difference?

(2) After about 4-5 days of use I noticed that the audio began fading out whenever the cable is moved around the ¼ inch jack going into my headphone amp-indicating a short in the cable or bad connection. (I’m using it with the plug adapter supplied by Audioquest.) Have any of you had this problem with their cable?

(3) The cans didn’t come with any optional ultra suede earpads – the pads on there now appear to be protein leather but I’m not sure-- the right/left markers are NOT printed inside the pads. Could these be the hybrids or another type?

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back