AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #2,191 of 2,528
I used to hate the boost pads, but after spending more time with items, I'm ok with them for my nightowl. I use hybrid pads for the nighthawk. So the hawk is my mellow syrupy headphone, and the owl is my brighter treble enhanced headphone 😁
That's exactly how I use my Hawks and Owls. I want the contrast between them to be as big as possible. In practice they still sound pretty much the same though :)

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #2,193 of 2,528
That's exactly how I use my Hawks and Owls. I want the contrast between them to be as big as possible. In practice they still sound pretty much the same though :)
I don't agree with my statement here. For the last three weeks I exclusively listened to the Hawks and since today I am using my Owls again, because they block noises a bit better (my airco is making a lot of noise). What is apparant is a brighter treble and significant less bloom in the sound compared to the Hawks. My first reaction was: wow tonally they are more like a closed HD650s than a closed NightHawk or maybe a fusion between HD650s and D5000s? Tonally the Owls probably are better than the NightHawks.
I switched between the boost pads and micro suede pads and the Owls clearly sound better with the boost pads. Their bass becomes lean with the micro suede pads, the overall sound gets a bit thinner than I like. The treble is a bit less edgy though, but not to the extend to warrant a pad change. With the boost pads they have a pleasant 'commercial' sound and with different wood cups (which actually look like wood) and a different (Japanese?) brand name they could have become really successful.
I still prefer the Hawks by a good margin though.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #2,194 of 2,528
I don't agree with my statement here. For the last three weeks I exclusively listened to the Hawks and since today I am using my Owls again, because they block noises a bit better (my airco is making a lot of noise). What is apparant is a brighter treble and significant less bloom in the sound compared to the Hawks. My first reaction was: wow tonally they are more like a closed HD650s than a closed NightHawk or maybe a fusion between HD650s and D5000s? Tonally the Owls probably are better than the NightHawks.
I switched between the boost pads and micro suede pads and the Owls clearly sound better with the boost pads. Their bass becomes lean with the micro suede pads, the overall sound gets a bit thinner than I like. The treble is a bit less edgy though, but not to the extend to warrant a pad change. With the boost pads they have a pleasant 'commercial' sound and with different wood cups (which actually look like wood) and a different (Japanese?) brand name they could have become really successful.
I still prefer the Hawks by a good margin though.
Listened to my Hawks for the first time in a week after time with tfz no 3, Campfire Solaris, etc. Basically in ears with more "detailed" treble. After about 10 minutes I settled in and felt like I had just laid down on my favorite pillow, in my favorite blanket. All the details there, but so warm, and comforting. Man, I love the Hawks. Glad I have 2 pairs.

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #2,196 of 2,528
Just wondering, what cables are you using with the Hawks and/or Owls?
Been trying to find a balanced cable that doesn't take away from what I hear in the stock or nightbird one cable. Granted, I've been looking at cables under $80. The sound I get out of the thick stock cables I really enjoy. I need a 4.4mm balanced cable though for my tube amp I have coming.

Aug 1, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #2,197 of 2,528
Just wondering, what cables are you using with the Hawks and/or Owls?
Some cheap cables that are longer, more flexible and less thick.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06WD3D66B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1596296869881.png

Attachments

• 1596296910690.png
    1596296910690.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 1, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #2,199 of 2,528
I think the cable is excellent. Did you notice any difference in sound between that cable and the thick cable that came with the NightOwls?
I didn't.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #2,200 of 2,528
I'm a cable atheist so can safely say that I've definitely not noticed any change to sound. I know the OEM cable gets a lot of flack, but I never had a problem with it. I wouldn't mind spending up to ~£100 on a cable for a customised look, but I left the original Owl cable at another location when moving between places so was in a jam and wanted something next day. It really is a fine cable and the additional length is always appreciated, or so my wife tells me...

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #2,201 of 2,528
It really is a fine cable and the additional length is always appreciated, or so my wife tells me...
Hahaha!
The original cable was fine, but rather short and it made noises (microphonics) when I made a movement. And I didn't like the idea of cleaning the silver plated plug(s) on a regular basis as it was advised in the booklet. They even included a special cleaning cloth for this. Although to be fair for the month I have used the cable the plug didn't need any cleaning whatsover.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #2,202 of 2,528
Yeah I know what you mean about the gripes with it. I think I cleaned the cable ends twice in the first couple of months of ownership just for the novelty of it! Probably been way over a year since I last did and it's never presented any problems, though. Glad I forget that cable because this new one is something I should have bought for it ages ago. The Owl's are still my favourite headphones of all time. I'd put off buying them originally as I had the SRH1540 and the Elear, but when they dropped to half price I couldn't resist. A few weeks after having them on my head I decided to sell the Elear! Their tuning is sublime for my preferences, and I'll always take a closed-back over an open-back for practicality. Bloody glad I didn't miss out on owning them.

Aug 1, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #2,203 of 2,528
The same with me. I had my mind set on a pair of Denon D7200s and never considered the NightHawks or Owls. I mean AudioQuest, a cable company for crying out loud.
But as soon as the price dropped and I read more about them I took a shot. (Yep, I'm a cheapskate, or a leech if you will :))
I accidentally ordered the NightHawks instead of the Owls, I didn't return them immediately but decided to order the Owls and try both. I kept both.
Closed-back for me too, I like to immerse myself into a private confined space, rather than listening to music and my surrounding simultaneously. Luckily the NightHawks isolate pretty fine as well.

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #2,204 of 2,528
Has anyone used these cables from Cardas now being offered by Mass/Drop?

MassDrop: CARDAS PREMIUM CLEAR LIGHT HEADPHONE CABLES $165

Manufactured in the USA by Cardas Audio

Matched propagation, Kevlar core, Grade 1 copper

99.9999% pure oxygen-free copper with SPN clear coat (Litz)

Gauge sizes scaled to golden-ratio proportions

Cross-field layer geometry

Insulated in an PTFE tape-wrapped jacket

Concentrically wound two conductors flanked by antistatic fibers

Braided nylon outer jacket

Gauge: 4 x 25.5 AWG

Outside diameter: 0.18 in (4.57 mm)

2.5mm mono plug (Fits many headphones like Susvara, AQ Nighthawk, Oppo PM-1, etc)

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #2,205 of 2,528
Has anyone used these cables from Cardas now being offered by Mass/Drop?

MassDrop: CARDAS PREMIUM CLEAR LIGHT HEADPHONE CABLES $165

Manufactured in the USA by Cardas Audio

Matched propagation, Kevlar core, Grade 1 copper

99.9999% pure oxygen-free copper with SPN clear coat (Litz)

Gauge sizes scaled to golden-ratio proportions

Cross-field layer geometry

Insulated in an PTFE tape-wrapped jacket

Concentrically wound two conductors flanked by antistatic fibers

Braided nylon outer jacket

Gauge: 4 x 25.5 AWG

Outside diameter: 0.18 in (4.57 mm)

2.5mm mono plug (Fits many headphones like Susvara, AQ Nighthawk, Oppo PM-1, etc)

It's a good cable but I have a problem with Drop since you have to pay now and they don't even think about starting to ship until the end of October.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back