AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #9,031 of 10,194
Jul 11, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #9,032 of 10,194
Not a problem.
I called Listen Up to inquire about the "open box" that was listed on their web site. During the course of the conversation I was told that they would soon be the exclusive sellers of the remaining Audioquest headphone inventory.

Get them while you can folks.

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #9,034 of 10,194
Would you recommend to buy them from listen up 200$ ( open box “flawless”) or amazon 250$ ( new). They first time I tried the nighthawk on Best Buy I thought they were meh ( 3 weeks being an audiophile with just hd58x as reference) The second time I went with more knowledge, I found them interesting like a warm enjoyable with spacious soundstage.

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #9,035 of 10,194
Would you recommend to buy them from listen up 200$ ( open box “flawless”) or amazon 250$ ( new). They first time I tried the nighthawk on Best Buy I thought they were meh ( 3 weeks being an audiophile with just hd58x as reference) The second time I went with more knowledge, I found them interesting like a warm enjoyable with spacious soundstage.

Mine were $200 from ListenUp. They were not open box, but a coupon came up on Amazon once I put it in my basket. Maybe it was points from my Amazon card?

If mine were open box they were perfect, and had every bit of packing materials perfect. Even had thin, clear tape holding cups rigid. Those would have been difficult to re-apply.

As I had a great experience with the seller I’d say go with the cheapest price from them. Heck, you can put the savings towards a longer, aftermarket cable, or craft beer:wink:

By the way I did receive the missing 1/4 cable adaptor that was missing from the box. A call to the seller got a UPS shipment. I'm giving a double thumbs up to ListenUp. I'd certainly do business with them again, sale or not.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #9,036 of 10,194

If you choose the open box option on Amazon you will receive a nib sealed pair from Listen Up. Mine had the 1/4 adapter packaged by Audioquest in the box.

As for cables, check out Fasterball in this thread. He makes a great and affordable cable! Post 8949.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #9,037 of 10,194
Mine were $200 from ListenUp. They were not open box, but a coupon came up on Amazon once I put it in my basket. Maybe it was points from my Amazon card?

If mine were open box they were perfect, and had every bit of packing materials perfect. Even had thin, clear tape holding cups rigid. Those would have been difficult to re-apply.

As I had a great experience with the seller I’d say go with the cheapest price from them. Heck, you can put the savings towards a longer, aftermarket cable, or craft beer:wink:

By the way I did receive the missing 1/4 cable adaptor that was missing from the box. A call to the seller got a UPS shipment. I'm giving a double thumbs up to ListenUp. I'd certainly do business with them again, sale or not.
If you choose the open box option on Amazon you will receive a nib sealed pair from Listen Up. Mine had the 1/4 adapter packaged by Audioquest in the box.

As for cables, check out Fasterball in this thread. He makes a great and affordable cable! Post 8949.
Thank you guys. I will think it a little more before purchasing, if I decide I will go with the listener open box ( as rated they come with the adapter). I have some headphones I want to buy and test before this but as someone here said they may go out production. They sound signature seems similar to the argons. Someone have tried both?. I know closed vs open, planar bs dynamic. But they share some similarities like wide soundstage hitting bass...

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #9,038 of 10,194
What pads are everyone using, I know there was some talk about the HM5 Pads.

I use the stock Velour pads. I actually just put on the leather pads to test it out... I am taken back by how much top end I lost. It like killed the sparkle and seemed to add a tad bit of mid, maybe some upper bass too.

I went back to the Velour - I like having the sparkle. I was looking for some more mid but not at the sacrifice of the top end tho.

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #9,039 of 10,194

I use the stock Velour pads. I actually just put on the leather pads to test it out... I am taken back by how much top end I lost. It like killed the sparkle and seemed to add a tad bit of mid, maybe some upper bass too.

I went back to the Velour - I like having the sparkle. I was looking for some more mid but not at the sacrifice of the top end tho.

Original hybrid pads are my favorite. The velour is a good choice for me in hot weather although I have been using buds or iems instead when it is too hot. I am not interested in the protein leather.

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #9,040 of 10,194

I have been enjoying the hybrid pads and protein leather pads. Velour is not for me. Recently I ordered the iBasso pads based on advice in this thread. In 10 days they made their way from Shenzen to Guangzhou. If they ever get to Europe, I will post my impressions. :)

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #9,041 of 10,194
I guess I meant stock hybrid. They came with 2 sets. Full leather and the ones I use.

Jul 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #9,042 of 10,194
I guess I meant stock hybrid. They came with 2 sets. Full leather and the ones I use.
Velou pads are not the hybrid pads. Hybrid pads came on the original nighthawk and we're made available from e separate purchase. You are most likely using the velour pars, since that's what you called them. So again, there are 3 different pads, not 2

Jul 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #9,043 of 10,194

The Hybrid came stock with the original wood NH. The protein leather and the velour (micro suede) are the two sets that came with the Carbon. So there are three total, but not easy to find anymore.

Jul 15, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #9,044 of 10,194
Oh I see. Well I suppose I was right to start with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back