AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #7,261 of 10,196
but I'd think the original NH sound has probably quite a lot to do with the hybrid pads.

Definitely! The Hybrid pads throw most headphiles for a loop because of their downward sloping SS, so stock pads on both Carbons are the Boosts, which are the most "normal" of the three.

To my ears, the Hybrid tuning is the most musical...

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #7,262 of 10,196
I remember talk when the new pad versions came out saying that the change was in response to some of the negative comments that some people had made about the NH sound. Some people complained that there was too much bass. Some said that the treble was veiled. I was among those those who loved the original NH just as it was... with the hybrid pads. Some have said that is where the "magic" is.

As I said the other day, I was lucky enough to be sent the both new pads when my replacement cable was sent.... before any of these items were available for sale. The package when it came from the USA to the UK said "samples" with a value of $0 so thankfully I was not stuck with import fees. Several months passed before I finally tried the Microsuede ones. They are comfortable and the sound is good but I think I still prefer the hybrid (which are back on now). I have not tried the pleather ones. I have not been particularly interested in doing so. Maybe one day... they are not difficult to change.

It was some of the negative early comments that held me off from buying these for awhile. It was something you, betula, said back then that finally prompted me to take a chance. Very happy that I did. At the time, the Carbons were newly announced and prices started to drop on the origiinal wood. So I got one of the early discounted pairs.
Glad to hear you like the NH's and that it was partly due to one of my comments you bought a pair. :) I am also happy with the original hybrids, but curious to hear the difference with the new pads.
I would love to hear your comments on the full pleather pads as and when.
Months ago I actually bought the pleather pads from a UK retailer, but they sent me the hybrids instead. When I complained, they haven't had the foggiest idea what I am talking about, they did not have a clue about the three different type of NH pads. I had to contact AQ to make the retailer sort it out. All they did was refunding me after I sent the pads back. This little adventure has somewhat put me off from trying to buy the new pads again.

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #7,263 of 10,196
+1 on Hybrid pads sounding the most musical to my ears. After recently trying all three pad options I prefer the original Hybrid pads. It is nice to have some pad rolling options, Boost pads for slight treble boost and Microsuede to slightly reduce bass, but the Hybrid pad is a perfect match for the way my ears are wired.

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #7,264 of 10,196
I think it all gets down to a simple distinction from the world of speakers: near field-monitors versus speakers in a room. My take is that the Head-Fi nirvana is neutral, which equates to near-field monitors. To my ears the sound is way too in my face to be enjoyable (musical). Nighthawks with the Boost pads are pretty close to this ideal.

Nighthawks with Hybrids are more like speakers in a room. The LFF Paradox Slants are the only headphone I have had that are similar. The problem with them is that they are modded Fostex T50RPs, so they tend to induce a little compression into the equation... and they cost a $1K. Nighthawks for $300 are a steal!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #7,265 of 10,196
Nighthawks with Hybrids are more like speakers in a room

...and this is why I love them. My speaker based system was my primary source for many years. It had taken me awhile to get used to headphones.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #7,266 of 10,196
I picked up the NH recently for $300. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with them in the past and knocked them for being veiled or muffled. But they’ve won me over again with their seductive and silky sound. And they are the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever had, with a beautiful build and design. Sometimes you don’t appreciate things the first time. Second chances can surprise - for the good.

Dec 2, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #7,267 of 10,196
I picked up the NH recently for $300. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with them in the past and knocked them for being veiled or muffled. But they’ve won me over again with their seductive and silky sound. And they are the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever had, with a beautiful build and design. Sometimes you don’t appreciate things the first time. Second chances can surprise - for the good.
+1 Sold my first pair after a couple of weeks only to buy them again in a few months. I own my second pair of NH for more than a year now and I am yet to find another pair of headphones that offer similar level of pure, relaxed and joyful music listening. Not to mention comfort. I just like this rich and organic sound. :)

Dec 2, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #7,268 of 10,196
I am yet to find another pair of headphones that offer similar level of pure, relaxed and joyful music listening. Not to mention comfort. I just like this rich and organic sound. :)

+1 For many years I enjoyed the great sound of my heavily modded Creative Aurvana Live!. I got so used to that sound signature. I had the Denon D5000s for a while as an upgrade to the CAL! but was never quite happy with them. When I heard the Nighthawks for the first time I knew that this was the first ever real upgrade to my beloved CAL!. The Nighthawks were larger but as comfortable as the CAL!. Soundwise they were a real uprade in many aspects. My only complaint is the frequency response - but it is not a problem as I am so used to using EQ nowdays. I tame the upper bass and bring forward the mids with EQ.
In the meantime I have switched to the Brainwavz pleather pads for extra comfort and this cable has proven worthy as replacement for the stock cables: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cable-...-350-HE1000-HE1000-V2-headphones/201847284101

Dec 2, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #7,269 of 10,196
+1 Sold my first pair after a couple of weeks only to buy them again in a few months. I own my second pair of NH for more than a year now and I am yet to find another pair of headphones that offer similar level of pure, relaxed and joyful music listening. Not to mention comfort. I just like this rich and organic sound. :)
I had the same experience. I sold my first pair to fund LCD-2's, and at the time preferred my TH-610's over the Nighthawks. I missed them dearly though and got a used deal with the original pads, boost pads, and a re-terminated original cable ( thankfully still going strong ). Although there are some days where the darker signature is too much for me, they are one of my favorites and the only headphone I've grown an sentimental attachment to, haha. Funny enough, I sold my LCD-2's long before the Classics were announced. Now I wonder if I'll go through the same circle with my LCD-2C's on the way this month. I doubt it as they have a special place on my shelf, but tastes change overtime.

The nighthawks are such a polarizing headphone, and I find them to be exactly how you described. You don't see a lot of headphones like this.

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #7,271 of 10,196
Dec 2, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #7,272 of 10,196
Somebody linked this site for hybrid pads availability but I found an interesting, affordable cable that might fit the Nighthawks.

https://artsexcellence.com/accessoi...udio-design-pandora-hope-kabel-1-5-meter.html

Im not sure if the connectors fit the housing of the headphone though.
Unfortunately, the Nighthawks are 2.5mm terminated, and the PH VI's, the cable you linked to are 3.5mm terminated. I have the PH VI's, and even if they were 2.5mm, the locking mechanism on the cable would prevent it.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #7,274 of 10,196
I swapped the OE pads out for Brainwavz HM5 Velours within a couple days of buying my used pair.

To my ears, a really positive change...lessens the mid-bass and opens up the top end, just enough, makes the overall sound signature much "clearer".

As mentioned...super comfortable phones.

I kinda like them...using them for casual listening at my desk at work (nice change from the HD600s I was using).

-Mark in St. Louis

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #7,275 of 10,196
I use the Brainwavz HM5 Hybrid besides the stockpads (AQ Hybrid). These make a different phone out of it. After your ears get used to it, the presentation is much more open with less dark signature and less bass power but still enough to hear the subbass. This Phone is really a sensitive kind concerning padsrolling. The BW HM5 Hybrids are definately worth a try. I do think they have the ability to let the nighthawk truely fly. With these pads also the phones can show at most how outstandig good their midrange is, so cristal clear with still a touch of warmth, amazing and another world with these pads.
Funny I still have no favorite pad, at the moment I enjoy again the bassy and really dark ambiente with stock pads. I really love this phones a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back