AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 27, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #7,231 of 10,196
I don't know 'bout no Mojo, but I can say that the iDSD Micro + iCan Pro + Nighthawk is a beast of a rig. My TEAC 503 seems just a bit too laid back for the NH, but the iDSD kicks hard, love it.

+ 1 IFI Ican micro also does not leave any desires open...very good resolving on both ends of the spectrum. Top class A circuit, I really love that and this makes a very good team with the hawk...imho

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #7,232 of 10,196
Why don't you read Tyll's review of the NightHawk - he describes the difference in voicing between the two.

I can't find a review of the NightHawks at Innferfidelity. What there is is FR charts for Hawk and Owl to see whether different pads changed the sound any. But this write-up happens to be where I came across Tyll's statement that he personally does not like this headphone:
nightH.png

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #7,233 of 10,196
Nov 28, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #7,234 of 10,196
K640_DSC_2095-3.JPG

After about 100 hours I love them more and more, really hard to stop listening.. pure pleasure. Besides I never ever heard my vinyls that stunning way before...

K640_project 6.9..JPG

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #7,235 of 10,196
+ 1 IFI Ican micro also does not leave any desires open...very good resolving on both ends of the spectrum. Top class A circuit, I really love that and this makes a very good team with the hawk...imho
+1 to your post as well! However, add the Schiit Loki into the mix and you are absolutely sorted - lovely resolution at the high end of the frequency spectrum. iFi iCan Micro+Loki+Nighthawks FTW!

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #7,236 of 10,196
So you don't find them too dark for classical? Along with the hd700, esp950, and he560, the Nighthawk is yet another headphone model that headphone guru Tyll Hertsens doesn't recommend but that others rave about. But I keep hearing they're "too dark." Now to me hd650 has a "dark veil." Does the Nighthawk have anything like its level of darkness but maybe without the "veil"?

Sorry - quite a late reply.
Nighthawks compared to HD700 or HD650 - incredibly different. Without any EQing, the 650s have a much more pronounced high frequency, with the 'Hawks sounding 'duller' in that area. But then the 'hawks are warm with a well contained bass response, compared to a slightly 'thin' or 'airy' 650. I would say the two headphones would complement each other quite nicely (as I feel the HE400i does with the Nighthawks) but the presentation (again, without EQ) is almost night and day. I suspect that if the 650s sound veiled to you, you may not respond well to the Nighthawks (assuming I'm understanding you correctly) but at the same time, you really should give them a listen if you ever get the chance.

Bringing EQ into the mix means you can eke out a fair bit more crisp detail in the higher frequencies and that levels the playing field considerably.

All that said, I love to listen to classical on the Nighthawks, but it's a soothing experience, not one where I would be listening intently for every last bit of texture as the bow moves across the strings of the solo violin.

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #7,237 of 10,196
Who did you guys contact to get a replacement cable? I contacted AudioQuest Europe stating that my cable has issues and they said I should contact my dealer. I hoped the manufacturer would resolve the issue.

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #7,238 of 10,196
All that said, I love to listen to classical on the Nighthawks, but it's a soothing experience, not one where I would be listening intently for every last bit of texture as the bow moves across the strings of the solo violin.

Try the Brainwavz hybrid not angled, you will probably be surprised. The sound signature changes really dramatically into more openness and details.
Its like to unleash the hawk.
Unbelievable how open, crisp, detailed, even bright with still a (definately) reduced warmth the hawk can play if you only let him.
Still dark but much less cosy and warm. A pity is they reduce bass impact on the lowest end. Now the Ican ´s bassboost +1 is the perfect addition. Simply spectacular the whole presentation now.
This I guess the Schiit Loki can also manage (particulary for all missing an Ican`s bass boost), worth a try for sure but it is still not available here in Europe
The AQ ultrasuedes should come soon, some folks told me, that there is not much change to the stockpads. I guess these will be my 2. set, as also I like the whole presentation with the stockpads a lot too. With my vinylrecords they are sensational at the end of my chain.

Marvellous how easy the hawk can be tuned with pads

I think the BW hybrid are perfect pads for classic and jazz.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #7,239 of 10,196
Who did you guys contact to get a replacement cable? I contacted AudioQuest Europe stating that my cable has issues and they said I should contact my dealer. I hoped the manufacturer would resolve the issue.

Mine (the newer version) was sent from the USA to me here in the UK. Skylar contacted them on my behalf as he was active in this thread at the time and the cable was not yet commercially available. Does your dealer even have separate cables to send? The newer cable is so short and thick and clumsy that I am happier with the one I posted about a few pages back...complete with photo. It did not cost much.

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #7,240 of 10,196
Mine (the newer version) was sent from the USA to me here in the UK. Skylar contacted them on my behalf as he was active in this thread at the time and the cable was not yet commercially available. Does your dealer even have separate cables to send? The newer cable is so short and thick and clumsy that I am happier with the one I posted about a few pages back...complete with photo. It did not cost much.
Thanks for the info, I actually purchased one off ebay after I saw your post :)

this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/281470896229
Seems good enough but I am curious if I could use the mic on the replacement cable as a desktop mic.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #7,241 of 10,196
Thanks for the info, I actually purchased one off ebay after I saw your post :)

this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/281470896229
Seems good enough but I am curious if I could use the mic on the replacement cable as a desktop mic.

That one has more choices for length than I had. I might get a shorter one as a spare....the one I have is 1.8m

I have no idea about the mic on the AQ one...I thought it was for taking calls if using the NH out of a phone?

I would be really annoyed if a call interrupted my music!

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #7,242 of 10,196
Its probably made for phone use but I'd try to use it as desktop mic for teamspeak. That would be awesome.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #7,244 of 10,196
When I needed a replacement cable, I also contacted AQ Europe first, who told me to contact the dealer. Then the dealer sorted it out with AQ and sent me the replacement. First time the original silver plug cable (the carbon cable was unavailable that time) and when the replacement cable broke as well after 3 months, they sent me the new carbon cable.
There is a microphone on the carbon cable, and a button too. You can use the button for picking up calls, play/stop music, skip to next track, bring up google voice assistant. IMO this is absolutely unnecessary, as really, who is going to plug NH straight to a phone?? At least the control circuitry is separate from the audio circuitry which means the built in microphone has no effect on audio quality unlike some other cables with a microphone. I still find the cable bulky and I am not into gaming, so probably I will also buy a longer replacement cable.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #7,245 of 10,196
Their cable choice
When I needed a replacement cable, I also contacted AQ Europe first, who told me to contact the dealer. Then the dealer sorted it out with AQ and sent me the replacement. First time the original silver plug cable (the carbon cable was unavailable that time) and when the replacement cable broke as well after 3 months, they sent me the new carbon cable.
There is a microphone on the carbon cable, and a button too. You can use the button for picking up calls, play/stop music, skip to next track, bring up google voice assistant. IMO this is absolutely unnecessary, as really, who is going to plug NH straight to a phone?? At least the control circuitry is separate from the audio circuitry which means the built in microphone has no effect on audio quality unlike some other cables with a microphone. I still find the cable bulky and I am not into gaming, so probably I will also buy a longer replacement cable.

Their cable choice with the Carbons is really weird. Who is using these as mobile cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back