AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 16, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #7,201 of 10,196
Therefore I tried commuting with them this morning:
--------------
Also while they look to be in pretty good condition while closely inspecting them I did see a few scratches/cracks in the finish, but apparently this isn't your everyday varnish/lacker or whatnot, so not sure what do do about it to keep it from getting worse (while of course not making it worse myself). Has anyone tried to re-coat them yet ? If so with what and with what results ?
I would still worry about the drivers in cold weather outside, as these were designed for home use, but that's just me. Great it works out for you.
The scratches/crack in the finish are probably there because you bought a demo unit.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #7,202 of 10,196
I was looking for a pair especially for classical music. I read about the old one HD600 and tried them. Signature is not too bad, dynamic is good but distorting when loud to my ears.
Aeon flow open was nice for feeling the room and mood but did not sound so realistic for instrument timbre (violin for example, to my ears, with harmonics rolled off)
Tried some others: beyerdynamic

And finally, tried the nighthawk... the old one (not the carbon), a used one.
I felt the distorsion was so low, it hit me... I just felt so good listening to acoustic instruments with it. I could not stop.
The bass was a little too much, when cellist pinch the bass for example but the quality was definitely there.

I finally tried the nighhawk carbon (used ones too) that had the Ultra-Suede Pads and that was it. Huge crush for the sound with classical.
The soundstage is also really great for me as there is some great depth and not too much right-left. Listening to orchestra is such a pleasure, no fatigue and can get really loud without making me grind my teeth.

I may buy and try the hybrid pads in the future as it could be a better match for "regular recordings".
I used a mojo by the way.

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #7,204 of 10,196
And finally, tried the nighthawk... the old one (not the carbon), a used one.
I felt the distorsion was so low, it hit me... I just felt so good listening to acoustic instruments with it. I could not stop.
The bass was a little too much, when cellist pinch the bass for example but the quality was definitely there.

I finally tried the nighhawk carbon (used ones too) that had the Ultra-Suede Pads and that was it. Huge crush for the sound with classical.
The soundstage is also really great for me as there is some great depth and not too much right-left. Listening to orchestra is such a pleasure, no fatigue and can get really loud without making me grind my teeth.

Agreed. I am using the original NightHawk with the Ultra-Suede pads when listening to classical and the sound is amazing - great instrument separation and just very, very smooth sound.

I will switch to the Protein Leather or original "Hybrid" pads (I have all three varieties) when listening to classic rock, which I think these cans do really well. For other stuff to which I listen, I switch to different 'phones.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #7,206 of 10,196
I got my Nighthawk Carbons this morning. I'll write more impressions in when I and they have burned in but I think these might be my endgame.

The first rule of head-fi is "there is no end-game" :)

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #7,207 of 10,196
Nov 25, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #7,208 of 10,196
There is no endgame, but there are quite long stops. I have been with my Nighthawks for a year. Before my Nighthawks I tried other headphones because I did not like something in my existing headphones. Since I own my Nighthawks I try other headphones purely out of curiosity, not because I need to.

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #7,210 of 10,196
Day two observations. I wasn't expecting the low distortion to be so readily apparent, but it is. It actually makes it kind of hard to judge how loud they are for some reason. The have the best sound stage of any headphone I have ever heard. Comfort might be up there with the Bose QC35 but its too soon to tell. I once wore the QC35s for over 12 hours during a bad migraine and they only started to feel uncomfortable coming up on hour 13. I don't like the Ultra-Suede Pads (yet). To my ears at this early stage they make the Nighthawks sound too much like other headphones.

Couple of questions. Can you recommend a replacement, or at least companion cable? While I appreciated the quality of the one Audioquest put in the box I would like to have something longer and thinner with contacts that won't tarnish. Any HD700 cables will work right? Also do the leather pads on the original Nighthawks sound any different than the ones included with the Carbons?

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #7,211 of 10,196
Couple of questions. Can you recommend a replacement, or at least companion cable? While I appreciated the quality of the one Audioquest put in the box I would like to have something longer and thinner with contacts that won't tarnish. Any HD700 cables will work right? Also do the leather pads on the original Nighthawks sound any different than the ones included with the Carbons?

If you read some of the previous pages in this thread, people have posted links to cables that they like... some expensive, many not. Yes, an HD700 cable will work. So will an HD497 cable and because that headphone is less expensive you will often find less expensive cable options... yet sometimes identical to the 700 ones. This is what I have in the 1.8 meter length. This particular one is very soft and flexible so I like it a lot. notice in the photo how thin the plugs need to be going into the cups and also how that cable has the double wire below the split. Mine took less than two weeks to arrive from china.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2M-1-8...hash=item4b17ab75a1:m:mTIn-1NopJnOU1S91Nm0yCg

I have the original NH which came with two long cables. The thick one has known issues. Mine broke. So did many others. The thinner one is quite micro-phonic and very long. I was sent the short thick cable that you have after mine broke but I found it very clumsy to use and just continued to use the Chinese one. I still use it.

The original nighthawks do come with different pads from what you have. They are hybrid...a combo of the suede and the pleather. I am happy with the hybrid pads. I have also tried the suede ones and I like those also. There is much discussion throughout this thread talking about all the differences. I do also have the pleather ones but have never tried them as they are meant to increase the bass which I find unnecessary. The only reason I have the extra pads is because at the time that my cable was replaced, the new thick cable was not yet available except as a review sample so I was sent that and, to my surprise, the pads as well.

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #7,212 of 10,196
My Nighthawks with the HD497 replacement cable that I was talking about.

R0012922.JPG
R0012926.JPG

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #7,214 of 10,196
Also can someone explain to me the theory behind the silver contacts? Gold is a better conductor and it doesn't tarnish. One of the first things I had to do after opening the (lovely) case was polish the quarter inch adapter.

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #7,215 of 10,196
What a piece of a Headphone!

I was just seeking some darker brother to my k702 (with some little damping) and was finding this outstanding cans.

After now 80 hours out of the box the beast is really there .. A completely new dimension in headphone listening !!
Open, clear, with a deep pounding fundament. Still dark anyway with a musicality which draws you in and let your feet wip. Hey, whats going on?

Live and basslines to really FEEL with a goosebumpmaking insight in the music flow

What a masterpiece, I love it! Looks great too!

Very good match with IFI Ican micro. Open, crisp, pretty nice bassdefinition and convincing in the highs

No other than stockpads needed when I hear some vinyl -- speakers heaven!
Will try AQMicrosuedes and BW hybrides by time to adjust for special missions.

Found my holy grale in headphones? Guess I did :))

Greetings from Vienna Autria

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back