AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 29, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #7,246 of 10,196
Their cable choice with the Carbons is really weird. Who is using these as mobile cans?

I am, although I'm not usually running them direcly from the phone, I use an A5 amp, but they are still quite usable from the phone although you of course do loose some depth and bass punch.
Also whereas I can live without the mic, the one button control is quite usefull on the go, to the point that I actually got a little bluetooth remote to play/pause and skip tracks (wich of course negates the need for an inline button).
Then again I do agree that their new cable doesn't look like a good portable cable, too thick and heavy. I use the original thin cable but it is definitely annoyingly long so I need to get a replacement as soon as possible.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #7,247 of 10,196
Who is using these as mobile cans?

I sometimes do around the house... with a good dap and my replacement cable. It is nice to be able to make a cup of tea etc without being tethered to my desk or to the tube amp in my living room. Even around the house that thick one would be annoying and the original long thin one is... well just too long. Plus it is micro-phonic.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #7,248 of 10,196
Who is using these as mobile cans?

Yup, I use them as out and about cans. Listen to them on the bus to and from work and sometimes when I walk the dogs. Also listen to the HE400i s outside.
My AQ cable finally gave up, I use the Hifiman one and swap the cans as the mood takes me.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #7,250 of 10,196
Yup, I use them as out and about cans. Listen to them on the bus to and from work and sometimes when I walk the dogs. Also listen to the HE400i s outside.
My AQ cable finally gave up, I use the Hifiman one and swap the cans as the mood takes me.
So I get the he400i cable works fine with the nighthawks, i've been looking at replacement/shorter cables and was wondering if I had to go for a double mono (like the HD700) or if a double stereo (like the HE400) would work just fine.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #7,251 of 10,196
I contacted the dealer for a replacement cable and they responded within an hour, kudos (Smits from Arnhem). They mic might come in handy when I watch movies on the iPad but I agree, these are supposed to be audiophile headphones and the cable could be focused more towards that rather than having mobile functions. Listening to music with heavy cable is so unpleasant.

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #7,252 of 10,196
So I get the he400i cable works fine with the nighthawks, i've been looking at replacement/shorter cables and was wondering if I had to go for a double mono (like the HD700) or if a double stereo (like the HE400) would work just fine.
And actually come to think about it, why would you ever want a dual stereo connection, it doesn't make any sense or am I missing something ?

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #7,254 of 10,196
So you don't find them too dark for classical? Along with the hd700, esp950, and he560, the Nighthawk is yet another headphone model that headphone guru Tyll Hertsens doesn't recommend but that others rave about. But I keep hearing they're "too dark." Now to me hd650 has a "dark veil." Does the Nighthawk have anything like its level of darkness but maybe without the "veil"?

Again, I can only talk about the nighthawk carbon with ultra suede pads. I just think that the ultralow distorsion is clearly impressive and very important to me when you listen to acoustic instruments (including classical).
The "tour de force" of this headphone is also to sound very dynamic and precise without having the need to sound bright.
They clearly not sound dark to me, just perfect. But it seems they may not be what you are looking for.

I really love those headphones, they are so impressive to me and with any kind of music now. Impossible to go back to my PM3 (even they are still not bad, I will use them on the go).
However, as earcups are big, I have to put the nighthawk in a precise position everytime as the sound seems to vary quite a bit (bass especially, maybe because pads are a little "airy" and I have a small head so the pressure is not so strong)

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #7,255 of 10,196
Dec 2, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #7,256 of 10,196
I enjoy classic and opera more than ever before with the NH wood and microsuede pads. Its far more envolving for me as it was with my AKG K702 the last years :wink:
Matter of taste, approach and demands maybe.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #7,257 of 10,196
While we're on the topic of pad rolling, here is a chart that Skyler posted many moons ago.

earpad-levels.png

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #7,259 of 10,196
While we're on the topic of pad rolling, here is a chart that Skyler posted many moons ago.

I am still wondering why they stopped giving out the hybrid pads with the carbons and the only option with those is the microsuede or the full pleather. I haven't had the chance to try the new pads yet, but I'd think the original NH sound has probably quite a lot to do with the hybrid pads.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #7,260 of 10,196
I am still wondering why they stopped giving out the hybrid pads with the carbons and the only option with those is the microsuede or the full pleather. I haven't had the chance to try the new pads yet, but I'd think the original NH sound has probably quite a lot to do with the hybrid pads.

I remember talk when the new pad versions came out saying that the change was in response to some of the negative comments that some people had made about the NH sound. Some people complained that there was too much bass. Some said that the treble was veiled. I was among those those who loved the original NH just as it was... with the hybrid pads. Some have said that is where the "magic" is.

As I said the other day, I was lucky enough to be sent the both new pads when my replacement cable was sent.... before any of these items were available for sale. The package when it came from the USA to the UK said "samples" with a value of $0 so thankfully I was not stuck with import fees. Several months passed before I finally tried the Microsuede ones. They are comfortable and the sound is good but I think I still prefer the hybrid (which are back on now). I have not tried the pleather ones. I have not been particularly interested in doing so. Maybe one day... they are not difficult to change.

It was some of the negative early comments that held me off from buying these for awhile. It was something you, betula, said back then that finally prompted me to take a chance. Very happy that I did. At the time, the Carbons were newly announced and prices started to drop on the origiinal wood. So I got one of the early discounted pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back