AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 3, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #7,276 of 10,196
I use the Brainwavz HM5 Hybrid besides the stockpads (AQ Hybrid). These make a different phone out of it. After your ears get used to it, the presentation is much more open with less dark signature and less bass power but still enough to hear the subbass. This Phone is really a sensitive kind concerning padsrolling. The BW HM5 Hybrids are definately worth a try. I do think they have the ability to let the nighthawk fly. With these pads also the phones can show at most how outstanding good their midrange is, cristal clear with still a touch of warmth, amazing with these pads.
Still I have no favorite pad, at the moment I enjoy again the bassy and really dark ambiente with stock pads. I really love this phones a lot.
Have you tried the official microsuede's in comparison to the HM5 hybrids? When I had my first pair of nighthawks I tried the HM5 velours and the sound was in the treble was extremely uneven and shouty. The microsuede's I have have a similar effect to what you're talking about, but maybe not as drastic?

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #7,277 of 10,196
I have the Microsuedes too, they reduce a bit bass and (it seems to me) serve a very tiny bit of more pronounced mids compared to AQ Hybrids (Stock on the woods). The difference between them is by far not so huge, they sound very similar to me.
The BW Hybrids HM5 are changing the sigature dramatically! They can present a peak in the highs ocasionally. Using these pads I damp with a thin layer of a teafilter in front of the driver with best results. These pads make something very special out of these fantastic phones giving them a more fresh, very clean, open and more sparkly signature. Simply Amazing.
Again, still I have no clear favorite. I love both very different signatures these cans are able to present so pretty wonderful.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #7,278 of 10,196
Hmm, maybe I'll give the HM5's a shot. I've been looking for ways to make the midrange a little more pronounced ( microsuede, altering the dampening in the cups ). I thought I got a pretty decent balance with the two, but sometimes they lose that goodness that made me get them in the first place. I love pad rolling just for the experimenting and process, but i end up just going back to stock in the end haha. Did the same with my Elears and Pandora Hopes after countless changes. But! If they do open up the midrange they would certainly be worth the effort.

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #7,279 of 10,196
Hmm, maybe I'll give the HM5's a shot. I've been looking for ways to make the midrange a little more pronounced ( microsuede, altering the dampening in the cups ). I thought I got a pretty decent balance with the two, but sometimes they lose that goodness that made me get them in the first place. I love pad rolling just for the experimenting and process, but i end up just going back to stock in the end haha. Did the same with my Elears and Pandora Hopes after countless changes. But! If they do open up the midrange they would certainly be worth the effort.

You will love the BW hybrids for a open up presentation, really worth a try!

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #7,281 of 10,196
...both AQ Pads are very different to the BW hybrids. Hard to say which one's more

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #7,282 of 10,196
I've had the Nighthawks for several weeks and I literally do not want to listen to my other headphones any more. My collection is squarely low to mid-fi and I used to really like the sound of DT880s paired with a LD Mk3 or Grado RS2 through the Grace M9XX but listening exclusively to the NHs the last few weeks has completely altered how I experience music. They seem to have an almost perfect synergy with the Grace M9XX and the ridiculously comfortable design is the icing on the cake. I can't wait to audition an incoming pair of Nightowls.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #7,283 of 10,196
I've had the Nighthawks for several weeks and I literally do not want to listen to my other headphones any more... I can't wait to audition an incoming pair of Nightowls.
O-ho, another one bites the dust:dt880smile:
Please let us (me) know what the sound difference is between both birds. Still considering buying a NightOwl myself.

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #7,284 of 10,196
After months of use with the original pads I just couldn't get use to the signature. Something about the bass just sounded off to me. Been following this thread and tried the BW hybrids as suggested and find the sound much more in line with my preferences.

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #7,285 of 10,196
After months of use with the original pads I just couldn't get use to the signature. Something about the bass just sounded off to me. Been following this thread and tried the BW hybrids as suggested and find the sound much more in line with my preferences.

Which Nighthawk do you have? The original wood with the original NH hybrid pads or the newer carbon with the Ultrasuede pad & the Protein Leather pads ?

Happy that you have figured out what works for you.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #7,286 of 10,196
Which Nighthawk do you have? The original wood with the original NH hybrid pads or the newer carbon with the Ultrasuede pad & the Protein Leather pads ?

Happy that you have figured out what works for you.

I have the original wood Night Hawks that came with I think protein leather. Seemed the bass was way too up front with mids far back.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #7,287 of 10,196
I have the original wood Night Hawks that came with I think protein leather. Seemed the bass was way too up front with mids far back.

If you look carefully at the original pads, you will see that the inner part is velour, with the outer part being protein leather.That is what people are referring to when speaking of the original hybrid pads. I have a spare pair of Brainwavz hybids that I plan to try on something else. How did you manage to get them onto the NH? Were you able to get them onto the plastic ring? Was the shape a problem?

Anyway, happy you are enjoying them now. I love the mids on mine and have no problem with the bass. Indivdiual ears can hear so differently.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #7,288 of 10,196
If you look carefully at the original pads, you will see that the inner part is velour, with the outer part being protein leather.That is what people are referring to when speaking of the original hybrid pads. I have a spare pair of Brainwavz hybids that I plan to try on something else. How did you manage to get them onto the NH? Were you able to get them onto the plastic ring? Was the shape a problem?

Anyway, happy you are enjoying them now. I love the mids on mine and have no problem with the bass. Indivdiual ears can hear so differently.

Oh I see. I had no problem stretching the BW hybrid pads over the ring even though the shapes are slighty different. Comfort went up a couple notches from the original pads.

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #7,289 of 10,196

Are you referring to the brainwavz hm5 hybrids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back