AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 17, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #3,706 of 10,194
Give it a try, but bear in mind the sound does improve a lot with burn in, especially clarity and the perception of space.

Yeah, manual says 150 hours I think.

I hung mine on the back of a monitor and pink-noised them for a week before I listened to them.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #3,707 of 10,194
Yeah, manual says 150 hours I think.

I hung mine on the back of a monitor and pink-noised them for a week before I listened to them.

...and then were you happy with the sound?   I do want to give them a short listen first.  Good thing I have other headphones (and speakers) to use in the meantime.  For me it is all about the music.   If I put on a track to test and then suddenly realize I have listened to and enjoyed the whole album, I know the headphone has done its job.  At the moment I seem to have a goal to listen to Yello-Toy on every headphone I have.   Such a great album.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #3,708 of 10,194

...and then were you happy with the sound?   I do want to give them a short listen first.  Good thing I have other headphones (and speakers) to use in the meantime.  For me it is all about the music.   If I put on a track to test and then suddenly realize I have listened to and enjoyed the whole album, I know the headphone has done its job.  At the moment I seem to have a goal to listen to Yello-Toy on every headphone I have.   Such a great album.

That album sounds great on the NightHawks!

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #3,710 of 10,194

...and then were you happy with the sound?

Yep, love this headphone. Recently got a Mojo, too, and I can't imagine things sounding much better.

Mojo and Nighthawks are a fantastic marriage of sound. I also recommend with a Computer the Audioquest Jitterbug, it improved-cleaned up the sound from my Apple iMac. Only about £30-£40.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #3,713 of 10,194
Hey there,

Finally managed to put some hours on my Nighthawks and I am not disappointed.
I wanted to burn them in before listening but I couldn't resist... So I am burning in Old School.

And since I am waiting on my Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid cable I might go pink noise when this arrives.

Really like the presentation of the headphones so far :)

Can't say that I like the smell, but it's not bothering me either... But I read people where already converted and are now lusting for a fresh sniff of new Nighthawks... But Hey every man to his taste :wink:

Cheers

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #3,715 of 10,194
*Edited because I'm a noob and hit 'reply' when I should have hit 'quote'!*

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #3,716 of 10,194
  Hi.  I have been reading this thread off and on for months.  I have been so interested in the Nighthawk and yet kept resisting a purchase...sometimes because of a negative comment in here...sometimes because I spent the money on another headphone (i.e. Fostex Th500rp which I love).  Finally I decided to wait for the Nightowl  or a revised version of the Nighthawk. But then.... the ZMF Vibro mkii Purpleheart  appeared and I had to jump on that.  THE END.   Until I wandered back in here yesterday and saw this post.   I just had to check to see if you were correct about those prices.  Well.....an online shop had them new for £399 minus 15%!!!  (not sure if they are still doing the 15% discount). My Nighthawks will arrive on Monday.  The ZMF in Nov or Dec. This is definitely THE END!

I had to finally come out of lurker mode and join head-fi to post this.  Don't forget to say sorry for my wallet!

I would be very surprised if you were disappointed. Obviously, everyone has their 'ideal' sound, but I listened to so many headphones before falling in love with the Nighthawks - including the best that Beyerdynamic had to offer, the LCD 3 and the (lovely but too bright) Sonorous 2,3 and 4. The 'hawks are just in a league of their own. Please post back in here when you get them and let us all know how you find them. Very happy listening to you :xf_eek:)

PS - I listened to mine straight out of the box and was still in love. They have only become more refined as I listen more. No idea how many hours in now, probably north of 100. Can't wait to read your reaction to them!

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #3,717 of 10,194
I EQ Nighthawks with dales settings and it sounds even better. Let me know if you want his settings so I can tell you post#. Happy listening! :D

Yeah it would be nice to get the EQ settings. Thanks in advance :D

Cheers

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #3,719 of 10,194
I got my NH :checkered_flag: ! It sounds superb :notes: with the EQ of my Plenue P1 :smiling_imp:, even without burning :clap:. Thanks everybody ❤ ... I bought'em after reading this thread. :nerd:

Congrats.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back