AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 14, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #3,677 of 10,196
Just pulled the trigger on the Nighthawks. Do they use the 2.5mm connectors like the new Hifiman headphones?

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3,680 of 10,196

I am happy, if my post has helped you to pull the trigger and buy the Nighthawks. I am pretty sure, you won't regret it. That is a really good and rare deal for a new pair.

Yes, your post is the reason that I pulled that trigger yesterday.  Thank you!  I think it was stuck.  I know I won't regret it but I am not looking forward to having to burn them in forever and ever.    The deal is still on today.  The 15% is on certain items.  I am wondering if they are closing this product out in anticipation of the newer models.  I have heard that the revised ones will have a different cable and will be gray like the Night Owls.  Are we allowed to mention shop names?  It is Bax.  I  have not dealt with them before but they seem ok.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #3,681 of 10,196
That's great, I can use my he560 balanced cable then. Do they benefit from balanced connection? Using the Schiit Jot. They don't seem to be hard to drive on paper.

From my auditioning yes they do benefit from balanced. Don't have a balanced system myself. They are quite easy to drive but definitely benefit from higher quality gear.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #3,682 of 10,196
Yep, been there before. Turned out to just be the start of Level Two.

I do know what you mean... but this is the end of level 2 for me.  My first level stopped at £200 and includes some really nice headphones like the AKG K702, Beyer DT150, NAD Viso hp50 (clamp really hurts though), Thinksound On1 and Sennheiser HD598.  As much as I love all of these (except for the NAD discomfort) I have been drawn to the Nighthawks for months.  I just got confused by so many conflicting views.

So level two will include these Nighthawks,  the Fostex Th500rp (they suit me) and the ZMF when they arrive. That is enough. 

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #3,683 of 10,196
I just recently got a Mojo to go with my NightHawks.

You know how people say that they've just got a new piece of equipment, and it sounds incredible, and now they're digging around their music collection to re-listen to long-neglected recordings, just to see what it sounds like?

Yeah, I never really bought into that.

...but it's exactly what I'm doing at the moment.

Can't really imagine things sounding better without spending divorce-triggering sums of cash.

I just ordered MOJO today to use with NH amongst other gear. I've already extensively auditioned (and reviewed) MOJO, so I know it fits my preferences. I'm excited!

And I totally get the last part in bold, lol :p

I think this has been asked, but is the NightOwl intended to be essentially a closed version of the Hawks or not necessarily?

Yup, but the sound is changed a bit.

Just pulled the trigger on the Nighthawks. Do they use the 2.5mm connectors like the new Hifiman headphones?

Welcome to the club, buddy. We seem to end up with the same gear fairly often these days :wink:

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #3,684 of 10,196
Non angled for me, never tried the angled pads but I think I'll try them 1st thing in the morning since you mentioned it!

So, just put on a pair of HM5 angled pleather pads. Amazing difference, really, like a different headphone. I now have ~200 burn in but still couldn't quite shake the feeling of a wool blanket between me and the sound, even though I could tell all the detail was there. Well, the balance using these pads is totally different, with more detail and not as "thick" bass, but still good extension. Definitely worth trying if you have any doubts about the sound.

Can't wait to try the new pads Skyler mentioned a while back, when they are out.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #3,685 of 10,196
I shared this post elsewhere, but thought, for some it could be useful here as well.
A little comparison of the X00 (Mahogany) and the NH:

Nighthawk sounds much more natural. Musical instruments and vocals are more lifelike, like a live performance. Also, there is a much bigger space compared to X00. The latter due to its closed design has a little bit of a box-like sound in comparison to the semi-open and natural NH.
X00 has more bass, especially a more pronounced and present sub-bass. You can clearly hear the lowest notes on the Nighthawk as well, it is just not as rumbling, tight and hard-hitting as it is on the X00s. I personally do not miss out anything on Nighthawk's bass, it is more than fulfilling even with EDM. X00 just has that slam, and a sharper punch, if such term exists at all. This is the only part IMO, where X00 has an edge over the NH, but it is not that important, for most people. Nighthawk is a superior listening experience in every other aspect. 
 With the punchy bass on the X00 there comes the emphasized, sometimes sharp, and in long-term, a fatiguing treble. Even though treble is tamed down from to the TH600/900, it is still strident and harsh for many ears, especially in long term, daily listening sessions.
Mids and treble are much more opened on the NH. This means, there is more space for the details to come through naturally. Mids are less recessed on the NH. Mids and vocals sound more natural, and because you feel the mids closer to yourself, basically more details are coming through from this section. NH is more balanced, and instrument separation is also much better, as there is space for each instrument to breath. It does not sound 'crowded' (everything at your ears, all at once), as X00 can. Imaging is just superior on NH.
Comfort is another plus on NH's side. Not like X00 wouldn't be comfortable, but NH is just the next level in this regard (as well).
NH is much more gentle to the ears. It has a completely fatigueless, lifelike sound, with gentle treble and percussion. (Gentle equals lifelike in this case.)
NH has a more coherent sound. One whole, like reality. X00 sound is easier to take apart for bass, mids and treble. NH has a real, organic, living sound. It is one complete musical experience. X00 gives you exceptional bass, and a refined, clear sound. But lacks space and naturality compared to NH.
 X00 builds up the sound of beautiful, well-separated layers. NH doesn't bother much with that, it represents reality as one whole. X00 gives the experience of listening to high-quality headphones. NH gives you the experience of listening to (live) music.
 X00 still has a nice sound, if your ears are not too sensitive for treble, like mine are.
I find NH's sound much more complex and rich. A more refined, more complex, higher quality music listening experience. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #3,686 of 10,196
Wow.  Thank you for that betula. I am now even more excited for my Nighthawks to arrive tomorrow.  I have not heard the Mahogany version but I have briefly listened to my husband's ThX00 Purplehearts.  Briefly because, while I do want to hear what his headphones sound like, I do not want to become attached to any of them.   I actually did like that bass slam but not sure how I would feel if listening for too long.  I was not bothered by the treble (and I can be treble sensitive) on the Purplehearts but I only listened to a Leonard Cohen album, Yosi Horikawa - Wandering, and a bit of Lee Harvey Osmond.  I do have the Massdrop ZMF Vibro Purpleheart coming in November or December and am expecting they might have bit of bass slam for when I am in a bass slam mood.  I do have some headphones with plenty of bass  but nothing quite like I heard that day with the Purplehearts.  Those seemed to have an overall richness that I think I might find in the Nighthawks.  I have been interested in the NH for several months but this thread has been very confusing.  Thanks for writing such a detailed post.  I can almost hear them in my mind...

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #3,687 of 10,196
This came with the Focal Utopia:

I didn't know Beryllium was this toxic.

Now look what Skylar says about the Nighthawk:

Xarq,

I'm really glad you're enjoying NightHawk, and thanks for the feedback. I can help clear up some confusion.

First, the smell is not the earpads, it is the natural aroma of liquid wood, a completely natural material.

Most people really like the smell (myself included). Of course, there will always be those who don’t care for it.

Fortunately for those who don't like it, the smell diminishes fairly rapidly over time as long as they are out of the case.

After a few days the smell diminishes by about half.

After 1–2 weeks, another half, and after 2–4 weeks, it should be mostly unnoticeable.

If one directly sniffs the inside of the earpad area after 2 weeks or more, there will be a faint aroma of liquid wood—which will have then matured to a more vanilla aroma (after all, one of the “top-secret” ingredients in liquid wood is vanilla bean extract).

Second, NightHawk is a sustainable, responsibly manufactured, and fully RoHS-compliant product; therefore, there are no plasticizers or harmful chemicals used (including PVC). I am extremely passionate about eliminating harmful materials in the manufacture of our products, and I believe NightHawk is the most sustainably produced headphone ever made. You can read more about our sustainability efforts here.

Third, our pads are made from eggshell membrane-derived proteins, so it's a more natural material than regular synthetic leather. This particular leather was specifically developed to more closely resemble human skin, which means improved comfort. Further, this eggshell leather is much more durable than genuine leather. We made the decision to use eggshell leather so that the pads wouldn't wear out as fast as genuine leather and would require no maintenance. You can read more about NightHawk's ergonomic design here.

Fourth, if you still want to make your own pads, the stock pads can be easily taken off the retaining frame and swapped out.

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #3,688 of 10,196
Beryllium is nasty. Didn't realize they made drivers out of it. There is no way my ocd would ever let me own a headphones with that kind of warning on it.

Cool that the nighthawks are so responsibly made. Really looking forward to hearing them.

That utopia warning is crazy. Surprised they are allow to sell them in NA in all honesty.

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #3,689 of 10,196
Beryllium is nasty. Didn't realize they made drivers out of it. There is no way my ocd would ever let me own a headphones with that kind of warning on it.

Cool that the nighthawks are so responsibly made. Really looking forward to hearing them.

That utopia warning is crazy. Surprised they are allow to sell them in NA in all honesty.

Its nothing new

I believe the JVC CNT (carbon nano tube) is also toxic

and if i recall a skullcandy uproar had some warning label (not the crusher bass warning lol) about toxic materials used

*i've also seen some woodie cans on aliexpress that state they use beryllium drivers in the 100-150 US range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back