AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 16, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #3,691 of 10,196
Beryllium is nasty. Didn't realize they made drivers out of it. There is no way my ocd would ever let me own a headphones with that kind of warning on it.

Cool that the nighthawks are so responsibly made. Really looking forward to hearing them.

That utopia warning is crazy. Surprised they are allow to sell them in NA in all honesty.

Well it's a new thing for headphones. Focal made speakers with beryllium tweeters but headphones where the drivers are inches from your nose and mouth? I'm thinking of selling these things for that reason alone.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #3,692 of 10,196

Well it's a new thing for headphones. Focal made speakers with beryllium tweeters but headphones where the drivers are inches from your nose and mouth? I'm thinking of selling these things for that reason alone.

I would be. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #3,693 of 10,196

Really? Just don't eat them (apparently Beryllium tastes sweet). If there's a fire you have Beryllium alloys in most of your electronics already, plus there will be many other toxins not healthy to inhale in that case. If they get smashed then take due care. I'm not trying to convince you of your tolerance, but I don't think it would likely be an issue at all unless it somehow gets in your body, particularly the lungs, and that won't happen unless you seriously abuse them and then sniff the resulting powder (if you can pulverize them to a powder). I agree, it's a concern on a certain level, but there are so many toxins we come close to in our daily lives that I personally think this risk is very low. YMMV.

Edit: Fun fact... According to some research doctors the aluminum content in antiperspirant is absorbed by our skin and enters the bloodstream, where it then passes the blood-brain barrier and collects in our brain. This is thought to be a contributor to Alzheimer's disease, along with other heavy metals that comes in to contact with what we absorb/ingest, like copper pots and cast iron. The effect is very subtle, but over the years adds up and they've found heavy concentrations of these metals in the brains of Alzheimer's cadavers. Poison can be everywhere.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #3,694 of 10,196
And that's why I don't wear anti-perspirant. Haven't for years. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Beryllium drivers makes me think more about asbestos wrapping pipes and ductwork in old homes. It's certainly harmful if you disturb it, creating dust. But if you leave it alone, it's minimal risk.

All that said, this is the Nighthawk thread, and I'm happy I own a headphone where the designer's mind was focused not only on sound but also on environmental impact and sustainability!

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #3,695 of 10,196
And that's why I don't wear anti-perspirant. Haven't for years. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Beryllium drivers makes me think more about asbestos wrapping pipes and ductwork in old homes. It's certainly harmful if you disturb it, creating dust. But if you leave it alone, it's minimal risk.

All that said, this is the Nighthawk thread, and I'm happy I own a headphone where the designer's mind was focused not only on sound but also on environmental impact and sustainability!

I don't wear anti-perspirant either, same reason. And thanks guys, eases my concerns a bit. Still, I do 10 hour stints in my headphones and I'd feel a lot safer with the Nighthawk.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #3,696 of 10,196

dont blame you mate , obviously your not going to be licking the drivers but its still something id worry about if i owned them.

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #3,698 of 10,196
 What is the huge advantage of beryllium, that makes it worth to use by big manufacturers like Focal, and rather print out a scary short story as a user manual? Is beryllium really that special for some reason, that makes it irreplaceable? (Apparently not, as the Nighthawk exists for example, so I am curious why beryllium is used in headphones at all?)

Also guys, if you do not use antiperspirant, how do you prevent being sweaty and stinky on a hot day? (Out of curiosity, and not like I do not consider aluminum a risk.)

Something else, regarding Nighthawk's smell: when I first tried a new pair of Nighthawks, I did not like the smell at all. Months later, when I bought my pair, I really started to like its smell. I find it actually really pleasant. It is a shame, 90% of the smell is already gone after a few weeks. Seriously, if there was a 'Nighthawk eau de toilette' to apply 1-2 drops a month on the cloth part of the earpads to keep the smell, I would definitely buy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #3,699 of 10,196
Point 1 it's just a good material. I don't really know how to explain better than that other than as a diaphragm for a speaker it produces an optimal sound according to many.

For 2... just deal with it. I live in South Texas near the border, it's just part of the experience I guess.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #3,700 of 10,196
 What is the huge advantage of beryllium, that makes it worth to use by big manufacturers like Focal, and rather print out a scary short story as a user manual? Is beryllium really that special for some reason, that makes it irreplaceable? (Apparently not, as the Nighthawk exists for example, so I am curious why beryllium is used in headphones at all?)

Also guys, if you do not use antiperspirant, how do you prevent being sweaty and stinky on a hot day? (Out of curiosity, and not like I do not consider aluminum a risk.)

Something else, regarding Nighthawk's smell: when I first tried a new pair of Nighthawks, I did not like the smell at all. Months later, when I bought my pair, I really started to like its smell. I find it actually really pleasant. It is a shame, 90% of the smell is already gone after a few weeks. Seriously, if there was a 'Nighthawk eau de toilette' to apply 1-2 drops a month on the cloth part of the earpads to keep the smell, I would definitely buy it. :)

They explain it a lot in the Focal Utopia/Elear announcement thread, in Jude's video in the beginning. If interested I suggest watching it as to not overtake this thread. There are quite a few advantages such as light weight, rigidity, damping factor, etc. It's a unique metal. As for antiperspirant use deodorant instead, no aluminum in deodorant. You can also purchase 'natural' deodorant.

Back to the Nighthawks.....

:)

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #3,701 of 10,196
Mine are out for delivery now with Parcel Force.  Seems the Bax Shop, while having a UK site, is based in the Netherlands.  I ordered Thursday and they arrived in the UK on Saturday.  If I  had paid for a Saturday delivery I could have had them on Saturday.  I knew when I ordered them that my delivery date would be today.  The emails that Bax sends out are very informative and give the initial tracking number with the shipping confirmation.  I just checked and they are still listed for £399 plus the 15% discount.  Orders made before 8pm will be delivered in 2 business days.  I paid £339.15.  No idea how long this deal will last.

Am I allowed to listen to them straight out of the box?  I feel like some (most?) here would say no. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #3,702 of 10,196
  Am I allowed to listen to them straight out of the box?  I feel like some (most?) here would say no. 

Sure. But i listened to mine straight out the box and they sounded horrible. Your experience may be different.

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #3,704 of 10,196
My seven year old likes the smell of the Nighthawks.

I mentioned to her that the smell will eventually disappear.

She said "you can buy some new Nighthawks when that happens and put these away".

I love this!  I can hardly wait to smell mine :) I have heard there might be vanilla in material that comprises the cups.  I wonder if it is true.

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #3,705 of 10,196

Give it a try, but bear in mind the sound does improve a lot with burn in, especially clarity and the perception of space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back