AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 18, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #3,722 of 10,196
  I would be very surprised if you were disappointed. Obviously, everyone has their 'ideal' sound, but I listened to so many headphones before falling in love with the Nighthawks - including the best that Beyerdynamic had to offer, the LCD 3 and the (lovely but too bright) Sonorous 2,3 and 4. The 'hawks are just in a league of their own. Please post back in here when you get them and let us all know how you find them. Very happy listening to you :xf_eek:)

PS - I listened to mine straight out of the box and was still in love. They have only become more refined as I listen more. No idea how many hours in now, probably north of 100. Can't wait to read your reaction to them!

HI...reporting back here.  My Nighthawks  arrived yesterday afternoon at 3pm.  After unboxing them and admiring them for a bit, I hooked them up to my PC desktop system - running  foobar2000  through USB to my little SMSL M6 DAC/Headphone amp.  This is where they will burn in for around 150 hours.  It has already been over 30 hours.  Of course I am listening to them off and on when I am at the PC. How can I not?  Originally I was worried about doing such a long burn in on the PC as I don't want to wear out any hard drives (especially after losing a couple of drives last year).  The solution I came up with was to put as many flac albums as I could on an old 64GB flash drive and am playing  from that. My PC always stays on all night anyway.

Out of the box, I instantly loved the looks, fit and comfort.   As soon as I plugged them into the amp and started sampling a few of my favorite tracks, I was very happy with the sound...blown away actually.  I am not worried about confusing anything with brain burn in.  Just happy to enjoy the music in the meantime while the headphones do whatever they are going to do.   Last night I sat down a couple of times just to try a track off of an album that had come to mind and found myself listening to the whole album both times.  Over 40 minutes ago I decided to check out the bass on the track Angel from Massive Attack's Mezzanine.  Well......looks like I will be finishing the album soon.  Loving it.

Next week I will try them with the portable setup that I keep in the living room next to my side of the sofa.  I think they will be fine.  I use my DAP (Xduoox3) with a Fiio E12A portable amp. That setup had been great for me with everything from my very easy to drive portable headphones up to my 250 ohm Beyer DT880s, Beyer DT150 and my Fostex TH500rp headphones.   I expect the Nighthawks will only need low gain and no bass boost.

I know many of you have much fancier gear than this but I am more than satisfied.  Meanwhile Massive Attack has finished and The April Maze is sounding beautiful.   How will I ever take these off?

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #3,724 of 10,196
HI...reporting back here.  My Nighthawks  arrived yesterday afternoon at 3pm.  After unboxing them and admiring them for a bit, I hooked them up to my PC desktop system - running  foobar2000  through USB to my little SMSL M6 DAC/Headphone amp.  This is where they will burn in for around 150 hours.  It has already been over 30 hours.  Of course I am listening to them off and on when I am at the PC. How can I not?  Originally I was worried about doing such a long burn in on the PC as I don't want to wear out any hard drives (especially after losing a couple of drives last year).  The solution I came up with was to put as many flac albums as I could on an old 64GB flash drive and am playing  from that. My PC always stays on all night anyway.

Out of the box, I instantly loved the looks, fit and comfort.   As soon as I plugged them into the amp and started sampling a few of my favorite tracks, I was very happy with the sound...blown away actually.  I am not worried about confusing anything with brain burn in.  Just happy to enjoy the music in the meantime while the headphones do whatever they are going to do.   Last night I sat down a couple of times just to try a track off of an album that had come to mind and found myself listening to the whole album both times.  Over 40 minutes ago I decided to check out the bass on the track Angel from Massive Attack's Mezzanine.  Well......looks like I will be finishing the album soon.  Loving it.

Next week I will try them with the portable setup that I keep in the living room next to my side of the sofa.  I think they will be fine.  I use my DAP (Xduoox3) with a Fiio E12A portable amp. That setup had been great for me with everything from my very easy to drive portable headphones up to my 250 ohm Beyer DT880s, Beyer DT150 and my Fostex TH500rp headphones.   I expect the Nighthawks will only need low gain and no bass boost.

I know many of you have much fancier gear than this but I am more than satisfied.  Meanwhile Massive Attack has finished and The April Maze is sounding beautiful.   How will I ever take these off?

I've found the Nighthawks sound great with most sources so your setup should sound great. They scale really well, but I like that they don't force you to upgrade.
Enjoy!

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #3,725 of 10,196
I got my NH :checkered_flag: ! It sounds superb :notes: with the EQ of my Plenue P1 :smiling_imp:, even without burning :clap:. Thanks everybody ❤ ... I bought'em after reading this thread. :nerd:

Congratulations!! Glad you're happy with them, they will only get better with time!

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #3,726 of 10,196

Fantastic, I'm so glad you're happy with them and that they immediately passed your 'one song - whole album' test!!!

"How will I ever take these off?" Exactly! I got mine as a substitute for my much loved ATH M50Xs and I'm afraid the M50s have sat unused on my desk ever since. I didn't even think I would take the NHs out and about. How very wrong I was....

Should be absolutely fine with the E12A (I use a Cayin C5). The bass boost thing....for me, in general terms I find I do not need it, only occasionally for older albums/tracks where I miss the modern emphasis on low end. However, every now and then, I feel like going the bass head route (generally only if I'm in a very bad mood) and the NHs really do deliver with that bass enhanced. Recently got a Little Dot Mk3 so no bass boost option and to be honest, it's very rare that I miss it.

Genuinely delighted that you are happy with the 'hawks. Thanks for sharing your experience! Oh, and check out some Bob Moses and Beck (esp Sea Change) - the Nighthawks do a beautiful job, like the most delicate brain massage!

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #3,727 of 10,196
Even though I'm getting the Elear soon I will always love my Nighthawks.  They have a sound that's hard to describe but its oh so very pleasing to the ears.  Other headphones may come and go with me but the Nighthawk will always be there because I can't see myself selling them at all. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #3,728 of 10,196
  Even though I'm getting the Elear soon I will always love my Nighthawks.  They have a sound that's hard to describe but its oh so very pleasing to the ears.  Other headphones may come and go with me but the Nighthawk will always be there because I can't see myself selling them at all. 

The Elears are a very intriguing headphone to me because they seem to tick all the boxes that I've enjoyed about a lot of headphones. I'm a fan of the Sennheiser sound but also the Nighthawks, Audeze, all those warm and lush but also just clear and focused enough cans, but it seems like this one does it a step better. Tyll is one of my go-to dudes, so his praise caught my eye.

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #3,729 of 10,196

Originally I was worried about doing such a long burn in on the PC as I don't want to wear out any hard drives (especially after losing a couple of drives last year).

If you're worried about HDDs – I did my burn-in with a pink noise app I found online.

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #3,730 of 10,196

If you're worried about HDDs – I did my burn-in with a pink noise app I found online.

I did the same for my Little Dot Mk III and subsequent tubes.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #3,731 of 10,196
I like to burn in my headphones with music because of greater dynamics.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,732 of 10,196
I like to burn in my headphones with music because of greater dynamics.

That is my preference as well for a few reasons.  The way I have them set up right now at my PC desk, I can just pick them up and start listening to whatever is currently playing in the foobar2000 queue.  Right now, at 50 hours burn in,  Mark Knopfler -  Shangri-La is sounding gorgeous!  Too bad I have to stop and make dinner after sending this post...

@misteral201103

"Genuinely delighted that you are happy with the 'hawks. Thanks for sharing your experience! Oh, and check out some Bob Moses and Beck (esp Sea Change) - the Nighthawks do a beautiful job, like the most delicate brain massage!"

"brain massage" -love that description.  I will add those to the queue.  Thanks!

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #3,733 of 10,196
The Elears are a very intriguing headphone to me because they seem to tick all the boxes that I've enjoyed about a lot of headphones. I'm a fan of the Sennheiser sound but also the Nighthawks, Audeze, all those warm and lush but also just clear and focused enough cans, but it seems like this one does it a step better. Tyll is one of my go-to dudes, so his praise caught my eye.

Tyll is also one of my go to guys for headphone news and reviews and his glowing review of the Elear is one of the reasons I took the plunge. I won't have them for 2 to 4 weeks because they're on back order but when I do get them it will be cool to see how they compare to the NH's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back