AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 13, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #3,661 of 10,196
How do you compare the Utopia/Elise vs the Nighthawk/GSX?

Utopia sounds amazing on the Elise and only one friend compared with this configuration and we both preferred the Utopia. I didn't ask my friend if he thought it was slightly better or a lot better, but I thought Utopia/Elise was slightly better when I 1st turned the Elise on after light use for about 3 weeks since I got the GS-X. However, about 3 hours later of constant play (I'm still burning in the Utopia) I felt the difference was more noticeable in favour of Utopia Elise. Elise always sounds better after a few hours of play.

Oct 13, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #3,662 of 10,196
Utopia sounds amazing on the Elise and only one friend compared with this configuration and we both preferred the Utopia. I didn't ask my friend if he thought it was slightly better or a lot better, but I thought Utopia/Elise was slightly better when I 1st turned the Elise on after light use for about 3 weeks since I got the GS-X. However, about 3 hours later of constant play (I'm still burning in the Utopia) I felt the difference was more noticeable in favour of Utopia Elise. Elise always sounds better after a few hours of play.

Yeah. That is tube amps for ya. My WA22 always sounds better after 30 minutes warmup. It use to be longer then I changed to SS rectification. Amazing how that changed the amp.

Nothing beats that sound tho. My V281 gets close with the NightHawks. However if I want real magic then tubes it is.

Oct 13, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #3,663 of 10,196
Yeah. That is tube amps for ya. My WA22 always sounds better after 30 minutes warmup. It use to be longer then I changed to SS rectification. Amazing how that changed the amp.

Nothing beats that sound tho. My V281 gets close with the NightHawks. However if I want real magic then tubes it is.

Well that's pretty horrifying to me because now I want to spend more money. I was convinced that the Nighthawk sounded terrible on all tube amps and now you're telling me WA 22/NH sounds better than V281/NH???

I was also convinced that NH/GS-X mk2 had the greatest synergy in the history of humanity.

Is that stock tubes on the WA22?

Oct 13, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #3,664 of 10,196
Well that's pretty horrifying to me because now I want to spend more money. I was convinced that the Nighthawk sounded terrible on all tube amps and now you're telling me WA 22/NH sounds better than V281/NH???

I was also convinced that NH/GS-X mk2 had the greatest synergy in the history of humanity.

Is that stock tubes on the WA22?

Yes. The WA22 beats the V281 with Hawks (V281 beats WA22 with the LCD-3). V281 gets close on everything but WA22 has it beat. Especially on silky, holographics and that very important mid-range.

Are they stock tubes? Nope. Far from it. WU4GB copper cap SS rectifier (I also have two expensive Takatsuzuki 274B's), Tung-Sol roundplate 6C8G's and GE6As7GA's.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #3,665 of 10,196
Quote:
  NightHawks just seem perfectly tuned for my ears. There really isn't anything I would change. Comfort, soundstage is perfect. Holographics and treble is class leading.

I would love to hear the Utopias sometime but on the Nighthawks that I have in my possession, coupled with Chord Mojo, listening to Yello Toy I can't imagine how it will sound better, I'm not chasing anymore...........for a while :)

I am there with you guys, in the same boat. :)

I won't be able to afford any of these fancy $3000 DACs and amps any time soon, so my best shot is Mojo to pair with the NHs. This also can't be a bad combo, since the creator of Mojo likes NH with Mojo, and the creator of NH likes Mojo with NH. Its value for money is pretty amazing, when I look at all these expensive gears.

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #3,666 of 10,196
I've been rocking my Nighthawks on the new schiit Jotunheim for a little while now and I think it's an excellent combination, especially given the price. It leaves the frequency response untouched, but everything just seems a bit tighter on the Nighthawks in comparison to the Magni 2 Uber and Geek Out V2+. I'd be perfectly happy with the Jotunheim as an endgame amp for the Nighthawks had the V281 not existed. While the Jotunheim does a perfectly good job at driving the Nighthawks to astounding heights, the V281 just has that extra bit of magical holography that solidly puts the Nighthawk at the absolute summit of headphones for my ears.

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #3,667 of 10,196
I won't be able to afford any of these fancy $3000 DACs and amps any time soon, so my best shot is Mojo to pair with the NHs. This also can't be a bad combo, since the creator of Mojo likes NH with Mojo, and the creator of NH likes Mojo with NH. Its value for money is pretty amazing, when I look at all these expensive gears.

I just recently got a Mojo to go with my NightHawks.

You know how people say that they've just got a new piece of equipment, and it sounds incredible, and now they're digging around their music collection to re-listen to long-neglected recordings, just to see what it sounds like?

Yeah, I never really bought into that.

...but it's exactly what I'm doing at the moment.

Can't really imagine things sounding better without spending divorce-triggering sums of cash.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #3,669 of 10,196
That statement almost makes me want to buy another pair. I already have two. One being used and one spare. So I would have a spare of the spare.

NightHawks just seem perfectly tuned for my ears. There really isn't anything I would change. Comfort, soundstage is perfect. Holographics and treble is class leading. Damn they are good.

You can always get the Nightowls when it comes out! That is my plan. :D

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #3,670 of 10,196
You can always get the Nightowls when it comes out! That is my plan.
biggrin.gif

I think this has been asked, but is the NightOwl intended to be essentially a closed version of the Hawks or not necessarily?

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #3,671 of 10,196
I've been rocking my Nighthawks on the new schiit Jotunheim for a little while now and I think it's an excellent combination, especially given the price. It leaves the frequency response untouched, but everything just seems a bit tighter on the Nighthawks in comparison to the Magni 2 Uber and Geek Out V2+. I'd be perfectly happy with the Jotunheim as an endgame amp for the Nighthawks had the V281 not existed. While the Jotunheim does a perfectly good job at driving the Nighthawks to astounding heights, the V281 just has that extra bit of magical holography that solidly puts the Nighthawk at the absolute summit of headphones for my ears.

Agreed. V281 and NightHawk combo has to be heard to understand it. It's a force.
V281 seems to do that with ever HP tho. So much power. I've even heard the HE-6 with it. Absolutely astounding.
I had dismissed my LCD-3 as being okay. Until I matched it with the V281. It went to a whole new level. Just about every HP is at its potential with that amp.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #3,672 of 10,196
You can always get the Nightowls when it comes out! That is my plan. :D

That sounds like a good plan. As long as the soundstage is not too effected.

I've never had the need for a closed HP as I listen to mine in a soundproofed home theater room. It should be nice to have a pair tho.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #3,673 of 10,196
Quote:

NightHawks just seem perfectly tuned for my ears. There really isn't anything I would change. Comfort, soundstage is perfect. Holographics and treble is class leading.

I would love to hear the Utopias sometime but on the Nighthawks that I have in my possession, coupled with Chord Mojo, listening to Yello Toy I can't imagine how it will sound better, I'm not chasing anymore...........for a while :)

I am there with you guys, in the same boat. :)

It's really amazing how well the Nighthawk scales. My 1st day with it was spent on the go with Fiio E6...........and it STILL wowed everyone that I let hear it.

Mojo took it up another level.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #3,674 of 10,196
  I am referring to UK prices I found online.

Yes, NH is usually £499, but some online stores selling them for £449, or even £399 occasionally. Not to mention, a slightly used pair can easily be found around £300. (Like my pair with only 20 hrs in it.)

Hi.  I have been reading this thread off and on for months.  I have been so interested in the Nighthawk and yet kept resisting a purchase...sometimes because of a negative comment in here...sometimes because I spent the money on another headphone (i.e. Fostex Th500rp which I love).  Finally I decided to wait for the Nightowl  or a revised version of the Nighthawk. But then.... the ZMF Vibro mkii Purpleheart  appeared and I had to jump on that.  THE END.   Until I wandered back in here yesterday and saw this post.   I just had to check to see if you were correct about those prices.  Well.....an online shop had them new for £399 minus 15%!!!  (not sure if they are still doing the 15% discount). My Nighthawks will arrive on Monday.  The ZMF in Nov or Dec. This is definitely THE END!

I had to finally come out of lurker mode and join head-fi to post this.  Don't forget to say sorry for my wallet!

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #3,675 of 10,196
  Hi.  I have been reading this thread off and on for months.  I have been so interested in the Nighthawk and yet kept resisting a purchase...sometimes because of a negative comment in here...sometimes because I spent the money on another headphone (i.e. Fostex Th500rp which I love).  Finally I decided to wait for the Nightowl  or a revised version of the Nighthawk. But then.... the ZMF Vibro mkii Purpleheart  appeared and I had to jump on that.  THE END.   Until I wandered back in here yesterday and saw this post.   I just had to check to see if you were correct about those prices.  Well.....an online shop had them new for £399 minus 15%!!!  (not sure if they are still doing the 15% discount). My Nighthawks will arrive on Monday.  The ZMF in Nov or Dec. This is definitely THE END!

I had to finally come out of lurker mode and join head-fi to post this.  Don't forget to say sorry for my wallet!

I am happy, if my post has helped you to pull the trigger and buy the Nighthawks. I am pretty sure, you won't regret it. That is a really good and rare deal for a new pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back