AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 11, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #8,851 of 10,196
As a human being with emotion I reserve the right to change my mind. I believe I may change that number to 12 or 13 out of 20. Was in the mood for a more forward presentation as I went from a planar to the Hawks. I decided to put the Owls on. How sweet these are. The more forward mids presentation while making these sound more like typical headphones, is still sweet nonetheless. Compared to my other closed backs, the Owls have the greatest soundstage. Much wider than most. I honestly love both pairs immensely.

I agree about the Owls. To me the measure of how pleasant they are is this: I can switch to them after the magnificent (Steve Guttenberg headphone of the year 2018) LCD-MX4 and not feel let down. It is not the same when I switch to the HD-600 or the Hawks.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #8,852 of 10,196
The Audioquest adapter wasn't very good..sort of like the original cable.

Yes, mine didn't even plug in right to the m900 amp. It was like 1/2 mm too small and caused issues. Didn't have that with any other jack. I put it back in the case and it hasn't seen the light of day since.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #8,853 of 10,196
I’m not up on to much cable knowledge but I did notice the carbons cable is 2.5 Trrs opposed to Trs? I’m guessing for balanced? I had some issues with it making a connection with my adaptor (1/4), one of those pull out alittle type deals, to make contact. The another thing I’d like to ask because I’ve never heard it before, these pads are like suction cups, I noticed if I pull them off my ear slowly I lose sound? Never heard that happen before. Otherwise besides the boxy sound at the beginning I’m finding these are made for one thing, enjoying music.

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #8,854 of 10,196
I’m not up on to much cable knowledge but I did notice the carbons cable is 2.5 Trrs opposed to Trs? I’m guessing for balanced? I had some issues with it making a connection with my adaptor (1/4), one of those pull out alittle type deals, to make contact. The another thing I’d like to ask because I’ve never heard it before, these pads are like suction cups, I noticed if I pull them off my ear slowly I lose sound? Never heard that happen before. Otherwise besides the boxy sound at the beginning I’m finding these are made for one thing, enjoying music.
Is it the short thick cable? Mine comes with microphone, hence the trrs connector.

Jun 12, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #8,855 of 10,196
Yes sir that’s why then ok, I learned something new. Just doesn’t have a strong connection for some reason, same thing with my 6s. Is it normal to lose sound as you slowly remove from your ear,feels like a lot of suction and sound going out.. maybe a defect to since the vocals sound alittle muffled or is that their sig? I still love them just curious. P.s muffled may be the wrong word, and not all songs, alittle hazy I guess would be a better word.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #8,856 of 10,196
Yes sir that’s why then ok, I learned something new. Just doesn’t have a strong connection for some reason, same thing with my 6s. Is it normal to lose sound as you slowly remove from your ear,feels like a lot of suction and sound going out.. maybe a defect to since the vocals sound alittle muffled or is that their sig? I still love them just curious

No, my three pairs of Owls do not produce the effect you describe.

Jun 12, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #8,857 of 10,196
No, my three pairs of Owls do not produce the effect you describe.

Hmm strange, maybe I should send them back. I’ve never had a pair of cans feel like I had plunged a toilet plunger onto my ears so who knows could just be a symptom of that and it’s semi open design and driver excursion?? Might be best to just exchange them.

Jun 15, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #8,860 of 10,196
Had to go back to the original thick CArbon cable. I've purchased a couple aftermarket balanced cables that allowed more freedom of movement, and didn't twist, but after months, going back to the short cable, it sounds so much more full, better low end, etc. Great sounding cable, just difficult to work with cuz it's so thick

Jun 16, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #8,861 of 10,196
After listening to these for a few days, I’m starting to feel bad I haven’t touched my Hekv2 or My favorite headphone of all time hd800. These Hawks imo present almost all the music I enjoy in a way I’ve never experienced. When I first tried them I thought they must be broken. But the more I’ve listened I’ve seen something special about them that none of my previous cans have had, at any level. These are just very musical and when I’m listening to them I just enjoy the music. Some instruments I’ve heard sound “off” but I simply don’t care because they are special.

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #8,862 of 10,196
After listening to these for a few days, I’m starting to feel bad I haven’t touched my Hekv2 or My favorite headphone of all time hd800. These Hawks imo present almost all the music I enjoy in a way I’ve never experienced. When I first tried them I thought they must be broken. But the more I’ve listened I’ve seen something special about them that none of my previous cans have had, at any level. These are just very musical and when I’m listening to them I just enjoy the music. Some instruments I’ve heard sound “off” but I simply don’t care because they are special.

The Hawks are different, they just present music in a way that other headphones don't. It takes some adjusting from more traditional headphones. I've only owned one other headphone I feel has that special hard to express trait hawks does, the DT 480, it's quite different but I found it shares some of these characteristics, haven't really heard them often in other headphones. These headphone goes against the mold and honestly it's refreshing. I'm so used to these two headphones that other headphones often sound broken, distorted, constrained, and/or lacking effortlessness.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #8,863 of 10,196
Which Hawks/which earpads?

Jun 16, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #8,865 of 10,196
The Hawks are different, they just present music in a way that other headphones don't. It takes some adjusting from more traditional headphones. I've only owned one other headphone I feel has that special hard to express trait hawks does, the DT 480, it's quite different but I found it shares some of these characteristics, haven't really heard them often in other headphones. These headphone goes against the mold and honestly it's refreshing. I'm so used to these two headphones that other headphones often sound broken, distorted, constrained, and/or lacking effortlessness.

That perfectly sums them up. It’s a totally different approach, and while I stilll love my other cans, thered just something addicting about these carbons that have my “expensive” cans standing in the corner, shamed. These remind me a little of my ad7200 they are both musical, but there is something about these..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back