AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 7, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #8,837 of 10,196
I'm looking to source a bunch of the 2.5mm connectors for the Nighthawks to make quality cables that are reasonably priced. Does anyone know a good source?
Hey, I don't know of a source but I have all three stock AudioQuest cables, practically unused that I can sell for a good price.

Jun 8, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #8,838 of 10,196
Are these easy to drive as suggested by the specifications? Can a portable player unamped make these sing?

And these or the Owls?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #8,841 of 10,196
Are these easy to drive as suggested by the specifications? Can a portable player unamped make these sing?

And these or the Owls?

With an impedance of 25 ohms and a sensitivity of 99dB, these are relatively easy-to-drive. I've played it unamped out from my iPad (2018) & good old Walkman (NW-ZX2) without any problem. They pair well with my portable HAs (Mojo, xDSD, DragonFly Red, etc), too.

As for choosing between NightHawk or NightOwl, it depends completely on your use case (for example, whether isolation is needed), IMHO.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #8,842 of 10,196
Owls are much better imho.
In what way are they better? What is the current price difference between the two? I purchased the original Nighthawks for 300€ when the Nightowls were around 600€. A significant price difference, doubt the sound is that much better.

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #8,843 of 10,196
In what way are they better? What is the current price difference between the two? I purchased the original Nighthawks for 300€ when the Nightowls were around 600€. A significant price difference, doubt the sound is that much better.

It's not about price. They were both the same when they came out and now they can both be found for around 350 EUR. In fact, for months now the Owl has been cheaper in Europe with a shop in NL selling it for 289. It is also not about whether you want closed or open. It's that they have quite a different sound signature. The Owl has a rich, distortion free sound like the Hawk, but it is way more balanced without the bass bleeding into the mids. Maybe I am not describing it right, but I'll put it this way - I reach for the Owl even when I don't need to be using closed back.

Jun 8, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #8,844 of 10,196

Reading these posts from the designer himself provides useful info and might help you make a decision:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...scussion-thread.749762/page-321#post-13054296
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...s-from-audioquest.824543/page-8#post-13002302

Jun 9, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #8,845 of 10,196
It's not about price. They were both the same when they came out and now they can both be found for around 350 EUR. In fact, for months now the Owl has been cheaper in Europe with a shop in NL selling it for 289. It is also not about whether you want closed or open. It's that they have quite a different sound signature. The Owl has a rich, distortion free sound like the Hawk, but it is way more balanced without the bass bleeding into the mids. Maybe I am not describing it right, but I'll put it this way - I reach for the Owl even when I don't need to be using closed back.
To each his own, my friend. I feel the exact t opposite. I own both, and will reach for the hawk 18 times out of 20. Owl has a more present sound. I prefer the slightly laid back presentation of the Hawks. Hybrid pads on both pairs, of course.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #8,846 of 10,196
To each his own, my friend. I feel the exact t opposite. I own both, and will reach for the hawk 18 times out of 20. Owl has a more present sound. I prefer the slightly laid back presentation of the Hawks. Hybrid pads on both pairs, of course.

Thanks for posting that - I've never heard the Owls, so I couldn't do it :)

Having said that, I'd like to get the Owl someday since a more isolating Hawk would come in handy for me now and then.

Jun 10, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #8,847 of 10,196
I thought the Nightowls sounded slightly better balanced but it still has that weird FR of the Nighthawk.

I think those who like the typical closed Biocellulose type sound will like the Owl as they carry that typical timbre.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #8,848 of 10,196
I just received my NHC and I’ve read a lot of this thread so I kinda had a idea I was at least in for something different, and I was not let down. I’m easy to please as far as headphones, the reason I have a few is I like variety. I can get along with bright, or dark. I plugged these in to my 1/4” gold adapter because I guess they left the nice silver one out :frowning2: and it was alittle “boxy” sounding “ then I found a old silver adapter and it got better. These are beautiful sounding cans, just very different. And of course they aren’t broken in yet either. They are unique and gorgeous I wish I would have gotten that adapter though :frowning2:

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #8,849 of 10,196
I just received my NHC and I’ve read a lot of this thread so I kinda had a idea I was at least in for something different, and I was not let down. I’m easy to please as far as headphones, the reason I have a few is I like variety. I can get along with bright, or dark. I plugged these in to my 1/4” gold adapter because I guess they left the nice silver one out :frowning2: and it was alittle “boxy” sounding “ then I found a old silver adapter and it got better. These are beautiful sounding cans, just very different. And of course they aren’t broken in yet either. They are unique and gorgeous I wish I would have gotten that adapter though :frowning2:
The Audioquest adapter wasn't very good..sort of like the original cable.

Jun 11, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #8,850 of 10,196
Thanks for posting that - I've never heard the Owls, so I couldn't do it :)

Having said that, I'd like to get the Owl someday since a more isolating Hawk would come in handy for me now and then.
As a human being with emotion I reserve the right to change my mind. I believe I may change that number to 12 or 13 out of 20. Was in the mood for a more forward presentation as I went from a planar to the Hawks. I decided to put the Owls on. How sweet these are. The more forward mids presentation while making these sound more like typical headphones, is still sweet nonetheless. Compared to my other closed backs, the Owls have the greatest soundstage. Much wider than most. I honestly love both pairs immensely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back