AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 16, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #8,866 of 10,196
Since getting my Nighthawks my HD650s haven't had a look in. Everything thrown at them, whatever genre, sounds jut right. Only niggle is the cable which twists out of shape easily. And be careful when listening to AC/DC, they can fall off!

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #8,868 of 10,196
I tried hard to get along with the Carbons stock cable but ended up putting my he560 cable on them and haven’t looked back
Any difference to the sound, or the same but just easier to live with?

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #8,869 of 10,196

I noticed a lot less bass with the he560cable and things seemed less muffled for lack of a better word. I’m assuming that had a lot to do with the new cable not being burned in” if that’s even a thing. I don’t have a strong opinion either way, maybe it’s a impedance thing? I haven’t tried my c3 cable I have for my Hekv2 I should check it out. On the fence on selling it though hek)

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #8,870 of 10,196
That perfectly sums them up. It’s a totally different approach, and while I stilll love my other cans, thered just something addicting about these carbons that have my “expensive” cans standing in the corner, shamed. These remind me a little of my ad7200 they are both musical, but there is something about these..

I use the ultrasuede(velour) myself, the pleathers don't sound as balanced to my ears. To me, I think the ultrasuede sound the best of all the pads with the hawks, over the hybrid and the pleather. There are honestly some amazing deals in audio if you stumble across them, honestly right now the NH Carbons are one of them. So far the NH Carbon with Ultrasuede pads is one of my favorite headphones, one of my top three headphones I've owned, all of which I own currently. I like the NH Carbon with Ultrasuede more than the NH Wood I had in the past with the hybrid pads.

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #8,871 of 10,196
I noticed a lot less bass with the he560cable and things seemed less muffled for lack of a better word. I’m assuming that had a lot to do with the new cable not being burned in” if that’s even a thing. I don’t have a strong opinion either way, maybe it’s a impedance thing? I haven’t tried my c3 cable I have for my Hekv2 I should check it out. On the fence on selling it though hek)
Thanks, wouldn't be keen to lose much bass myself as seems just right, but others will hear differently. I'm on the fence re burn in, be interesting to see how they work out over time.

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #8,873 of 10,196
Thanks, wouldn't be keen to lose much bass myself as seems just right, but others will hear differently. I'm on the fence re burn in, be interesting to see how they work out over time.

I can affirm the bass is still strong thankfully. I guess I’ve discovered with the nighthawk prefer musicality over analytical. I still love my hd800 because I’m a strange cat in that I find them very musical on my system lol. The hekv2 are like a mix between the hd800 and nighthawk. They are great and I got a sweetheart deal on them, if I sell them I’ll pass that deal on to another lucky dude.

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #8,875 of 10,196
I can affirm the bass is still strong thankfully. I guess I’ve discovered with the nighthawk prefer musicality over analytical. I still love my hd800 because I’m a strange cat in that I find them very musical on my system lol. The hekv2 are like a mix between the hd800 and nighthawk. They are great and I got a sweetheart deal on them, if I sell them I’ll pass that deal on to another lucky dude.
Oh I'm definitely in the musical rather than analytical camp as well. But the hawks do offer plenty of details when you listen, just not pushed too hard. I can still play stuff I've not heard for a while and hear new things. I've not heard the HD800, was tempted to get a pair a while back to try out but in the end after many reads decided against it, being put off by the treble emphasis many talk of.

Jun 16, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #8,876 of 10,196
Oh I'm definitely in the musical rather than analytical camp as well. But the hawks do offer plenty of details when you listen, just not pushed too hard. I can still play stuff I've not heard for a while and hear new things. I've not heard the HD800, was tempted to get a pair a while back to try out but in the end after many reads decided against it, being put off by the treble emphasis many talk of.

I agree definitely not much loss detail wise between the hawk and 800. I can only recommend the hd800 on my system because I know they are divisive and can sound rough with the wrong synergy. But get it right and wow good stuff imo

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #8,877 of 10,196
I've used other cables and definitely noticed less bass. I've gone back to the stock cable, because I love the low end

Jun 16, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #8,878 of 10,196
I've used other cables and definitely noticed less bass. I've gone back to the stock cable, because I love the low end
Good to know, thanks. I can live with the twisty cable as long as it doesn't break! Mine were a used pair and efforts to untwist were fruitless as it soon returned to how they were - the tight fabric sheathing just pulls them back..

Jun 16, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #8,879 of 10,196
I agree definitely not much loss detail wise between the hawk and 800. I can only recommend the hd800 on my system because I know they are divisive and can sound rough with the wrong synergy. But get it right and wow good stuff imo
See you have some HE1000s too, another highly regarded phone, how do they compare out of interest?

Jun 16, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #8,880 of 10,196
See you have some HE1000s too, another highly regarded phone, how do they compare out of interest?

The HeK V2 is great, it and the hd800 was (is??) my endgame. The he1000 has musicality and technicalities covered. The HeK has a lot more air and a lot better separation but that really defines the hawk, because everything is presented as a whole imo. There is a 3d sound and layering to the hawks, that combined with it’s intimacy create a sound that is hard to beat regardless of price. And is why I’m questioning everything I thought I had with the hd800s and Hekv2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back