AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 27, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #8,821 of 10,194
I'd had to agree, when coming from most headphones, the Nighthawks truly are effortless, they don't struggle at all. The sound simply comes naturally with no effort, that's why it's so freeing to listen to them. It's a rare trait for a headphone to have a truly effortless sound like the Hawks.
Completely agree. My other headphones are now back in their boxes, Hawks are all I need :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #8,822 of 10,194
Can somebody tell me the difference between AQ nighthawk classic (with wooden finish) vs nighthawk carbon ?
Despite different color finishes what abut sound quality ? Are there any differences ?

May 27, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #8,823 of 10,194
Can somebody tell me the difference between AQ nighthawk classic (with wooden finish) vs nighthawk carbon ?
Despite different color finishes what abut sound quality ? Are there any differences ?

You may want to refer to this post.

May 31, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #8,824 of 10,194
My wooden Nighthawk's cable is starting to have connection issues on hp end. Is there a common reason, like female connector getting loose, or corroded or something else? Looks like it's not an easy job to open and study whats going on there.

May 31, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #8,825 of 10,194
My wooden Nighthawk's cable is starting to have connection issues on hp end. Is there a common reason, like female connector getting loose, or corroded or something else? Looks like it's not an easy job to open and study whats going on there.
Are you 100% sure it's at the cup? Usually it's the solder joint at the 3.5mm male end. Reverse the leads at the headset and see if the problem goes to the other side.

Bern

May 31, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #8,828 of 10,194
You made it longer than most. I treated mine with kid gloves and it still failed. Lots of inexpensive options available though..so that's the good part. One of my favorite headphones.

Bern

Yeah, the original thick cables are prone to failure, had two fail on me(first was replaced under warranty). Hopefully the carbons cable while a bit janky and short doesn't have issues in terms of durability.

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #8,829 of 10,194
I auditioned the NightHawks a few nights ago, and I'll be damned if I didn't like them better than the ZMF Aeolus. Not "for the price" either, just better. I thought the Hawks sounded more fun and lively, but also better in a few important ways. In comparison, I thought the Aeolus had less depth to the soundstage, less realism, and more bothersome bleed into the mids (which both phones have). The Aeolus might be less colored, but I also found it a bit boring.

That was a pleasant surprise, and the Hawks are definitely on my short list to buy now.

Jun 2, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #8,830 of 10,194
I auditioned the NightHawks a few nights ago, and I'll be damned if I didn't like them better than the ZMF Aeolus. Not "for the price" either, just better. I thought the Hawks sounded more fun and lively, but also better in a few important ways. In comparison, I thought the Aeolus had less depth to the soundstage, less realism, and more bothersome bleed into the mids (which both phones have). The Aeolus might be less colored, but I also found it a bit boring.

That was a pleasant surprise, and the Hawks are definitely on my short list to buy now.
Pretty much echo my thoughts about them, this is a pair of headphones that I had and now I want back in my collection.

Jun 2, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #8,831 of 10,194

mrmiyagi.gif

:ok_hand::grimacing::thumbsup:

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #8,832 of 10,194
You made it longer than most. I treated mine with kid gloves and it still failed. Lots of inexpensive options available though..so that's the good part. One of my favorite headphones.

Bern

Cable was broken just below the 3cm connector/cable strengthening on HP end.

The stock cable copper strands are really thin btw, almost like hair. 2 of them for signal and 2 for ground, so 4 strands per channel. I guess thicker cable wouldn't make sound any better?

Jun 4, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #8,833 of 10,194

Personally it's no contest. All the parts of the FR that add dynamism, speed and liveliness are recessed on the NHs. The Nighthawk has it's merits like textured, good pitch differention in the bass but from the low mids ups things get rocky. The Aeolus is musical, more even than the NH from top to bottom but this is a hobby where we all have our preference.

Jun 4, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #8,834 of 10,194
I own both, and prefer the Aeolus. I feel the Aeolus improves in every area, with the biggest one, being tone and mids. What amp and dac are you using with them?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #8,835 of 10,194
Anyone interested in a mint OG wood Nighthawk, with low hours, and extras. I just listed mine for sale in the classifieds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back