AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 16, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #7,696 of 10,196
I wonder if anyone could suggest headphones under £1000 with similarly smooth, warm, laid back treble as the Nighthawks, similarly full and alive mids, but much tighter and more controlled, cleaner bass.

You would need to do your own research but I wonder if you would like the Onkyo A800 as much as I do. As a fellow Nighthawk lover... maybe...

They have become one of my favorites and are now prominently displayed on my desk. Not easy to find now. Expensive to order from Japan. I found an open box set on Amazon UK a few weeks ago.

They are pretty funky looking. I find them comfortable. Some do not. They are my end game because I no longer feel a need to try any others. I was a bit out of control for awhile. Still love my Nighthawk, of course.

10092091.jpg

May 16, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #7,697 of 10,196
You would need to do your own research but I wonder if you would like the Onkyo A800 as much as I do. As a fellow Nighthawk lover... maybe...

They have become one of my favorites and are now prominently displayed on my desk. Not easy to find now. Expensive to order from Japan. I found an open box set on Amazon UK a few weeks ago.

They are pretty funky looking. I find them comfortable. Some do not. They are my end game because I no longer feel a need to try any others. I was a bit out of control for awhile. Still love my Nighthawk, of course.

10092091.jpg

Can you compare their signature to the Nighthawk and other headphones you own? Why are they your end game? What type of music do you listen to? What are you driving them with?

May 16, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #7,698 of 10,196
Just checking in after a long absence from the NH-- I've been preoccupied with the offerings from Kennerton and ZMF. I love my Kennerton Odin and Vali, and ZMF Atticus and Ori. For me, the quirky Russian company Kennerton is the end-game. (Did I mention I'm a fan?) AND YET: I have to give a renewed shout out for the excellence of the NightHawk. They are not perfect of course, but oh man-- they still satisfy in such a great way. So much so I now own three (!) pairs (Two wood finish, and one Carbon). I know this has probably been beaten to death, but they have an organic immediacy, a tactile, intimate, vinyl / tube quality that is totally involving and satisfying. After going through 20 or so pairs of TOTL headphones, I still have not heard anything quite like it. Forget the etched, 'audiophile' sonic details-- this is where music is at, at the end of the day...

May 17, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #7,699 of 10,196
Just checking in after a long absence from the NH-- I've been preoccupied with the offerings from Kennerton and ZMF. I love my Kennerton Odin and Vali, and ZMF Atticus and Ori. For me, the quirky Russian company Kennerton is the end-game. (Did I mention I'm a fan?) AND YET: I have to give a renewed shout out for the excellence of the NightHawk. They are not perfect of course, but oh man-- they still satisfy in such a great way. So much so I now own three (!) pairs (Two wood finish, and one Carbon). I know this has probably been beaten to death, but they have an organic immediacy, a tactile, intimate, vinyl / tube quality that is totally involving and satisfying. After going through 20 or so pairs of TOTL headphones, I still have not heard anything quite like it. Forget the etched, 'audiophile' sonic details-- this is where music is at, at the end of the day...
After trying some techinally much better headphones I tend to agree with your last sentence.

May 17, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #7,701 of 10,196
How does the Aeon compare with the nighthawk ?
Well, the Aeons are the better pair of headphones hands down, but that doesn't mean I am going to sell the NightHawks.

The Aeon Open is much more neutral, much more balanced then the Hawks. Much more resolving and detailed. Imaging is superior. You can 'look into' the music deeper with better details.
The NightHawk has significantly more bass, especially mid bass, but it sounds muddy in comparison. AFO bass is tighter, punchier, much more controlled but also more linear and closer to neutral. Less quantity, more quality. Mids and treble on the AFO sound more open and clear. Again more linear and neutral compared to NH. The sound on the AFO is much more precise, but is leaner. Like putting a 4K telly next to a basic HD one. Switching to the NH immediately after the AFO (bad idea) the NH sounds almost like a toy. You suddenly loose focus, everything is cloudy and thick.

That said, the NH has its pros too. Once you gave your brain a few minutes to adjust, NH bass is so satisfying. I just like my bass quantity... Although the AFO bass is tight and puncy, the more bass on the NH sounds very dynamic and fun. Less controlled and detailed, but yummy. Like some liquid dark chocolate dessert. :)
On the one hand you loose all that exciting resolution and clarity of the AFO, but you gain much more thickness and fun. Mids and treble sound a little 'boxed in' on the NH right after the AFO. After a few minutes however you get used to it and it becomes full and rich and smooth and liquid.

Although the AFO is obviously the superior headphone after a while (1-2 hours) it can be a bit more tiring than the NH. All this resolution and details and preciseness is astonishing at first, but then it can be a little too much. The same way as most people wouldn't want to have a Lamborghini as a daily driver to work.
I personally also find the treble on the AFO slightly strong to my (very sensitive) ears after a while. It is a wonderful but a more 'demanding' listening experience after a couple of hours.

The NH on the other hand even with its shortcomings is like 'going home after a long day of work, sitting down in your plush arm chair and just relax' type of sound and experience. Yes, the bass is a bit out of control, mid bass is emphasised quite a bit, resolution is not great compared to the AFO, however the NH has the most relaxing sound, hugging your ears and soul with a warm, comfortable blanket. You don't have the slightest listening fatigue even after 4-5 hours. NH's sound is full, rich, warm, absolutely unique and is all about music. To be honest I think most of the time I would go for this latter listening experience. It is fun to drive a Lambo, but perhaps not all day. When I want to enjoy music, I want to relax and not have another wonderful but slightly tiring experience.

Both are wonderful headphones and amazing for what they are. Made for different purposes. IMO.

(NH also wins on comfort. AFO is more comfy than most headphones though, but NH is unbeatable here. After 1-2 hours I can feel the AFO on my head. Not uncomfortable just 'present'. While the NH basically disappears.)

May 17, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #7,702 of 10,196
Both are wonderful headphones and amazing for what they are. Made for different purposes. IMO.
Thanks
I picked up a Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp, and the Nighthawk was the only phone that did not sound good with this amp. It was bloated and muffled like I had never heard before. A few days ago I received a pair of the micro suede pairs. I had never read very many good things about them, however they are great with the CTH.
Bass is much more controlled, still hits very hard and to my ears the sound is more open and have a wider sound stage. I am very happy I bought a pair before they are sold out. I have also made an order for a pair of the boost pads. The Nighthawks are not the best headphones but for the $249 I paid, I love them will never sell.
Has anyone else tried all three sets of the ear-pads, if so, what are your thoughts ?

May 19, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #7,703 of 10,196
NH's sound is full, rich, warm, absolutely unique and is all about music. To be honest I think most of the time I would go for this latter listening experience. It is fun to drive a Lambo, but perhaps not all day. When I want to enjoy music, I want to relax and not have another wonderful but slightly tiring experience.
Sorry to see you letting them go ! Are the Focal Clears that good ?

May 20, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #7,704 of 10,196
Sorry to see you letting them go ! Are the Focal Clears that good ?
The Focal Clears are something special. You have to hear them to believe. Unfortunately they would be quite a financial stretch to me, so I might have to wait 6-8 month before buying them. In the meantime I probably swap my AFO for an LCD2C. I am also very tempted to buy a new pair of NH and have two headphones. (I strictly kept myself to owning only one pair at a time.) Even though the NH is far away in resolution and technicalities from these others I auditioned, they are special too. Very relaxing and smooth headphones and still the most comfortable. If I buy the Clear I doubt I will listen to anything else. With the LCD2C I would probably still give some head time to the NH. I haven't decided yet which way to go, but the NH will always be in a special place of my heart.

May 20, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #7,705 of 10,196
I haven't decided yet which way to go, but the NH will always be in a special place of my heart.

You are the reason I have my NH. Something you posted back then. I can't remember what exactly.

May 20, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #7,706 of 10,196
I am also very tempted to buy a new pair of NH and have two headphones. (I strictly kept myself to owning only one pair at a time.)
Any certain reason to buy the Carbon NH ? Have you tried all 3 of the ear pads made for the NH ? Why I ask, is that I have all three of the pads and I am surprised of the sound difference between them. From what I have seen in the description of what comes in the box of the newer Carbon NH, it has the micro suede and the protein leather (boost). I don't think they come with the original hybrid leather, that came with the wood NH. The original hybrid pads give the warm relaxing sound that some of us love and others do not. To my ears the boost pads are more balanced, with more treble energy. The suede is some where in between the other two, at least to my ears. I don't think the original hybrids are for sale. I bought the other two just to have, as I doubt they will produce any more.

May 20, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #7,707 of 10,196
Any certain reason to buy the Carbon NH ? Have you tried all 3 of the ear pads made for the NH ? Why I ask, is that I have all three of the pads and I am surprised of the sound difference between them. From what I have seen in the description of what comes in the box of the newer Carbon NH, it has the micro suede and the protein leather (boost). I don't think they come with the original hybrid leather, that came with the wood NH. The original hybrid pads give the warm relaxing sound that some of us love and others do not. To my ears the boost pads are more balanced, with more treble energy. The suede is some where in between the other two, at least to my ears. I don't think the original hybrids are for sale. I bought the other two just to have, as I doubt they will produce any more.
I wrote an extensive comparison review not long ago with all 3 earpads, the NH and the NO. If I buy a new pair of NH that will be the same old wood look one with the hybrid pads. My only reason for doing this is to have some warranty cover on the new pair since they are running out of production.

May 20, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #7,708 of 10,196
I wrote an extensive comparison review not long ago with all 3 earpads, the NH and the NO
Just read it, I agree with most of your findings. The only difference is with the micro suede, right now I am hearing more bass with those than the boost pads.
This could change as I just started to use the boost pads. You are right, they do add some excitement and clarity to the sound.
It makes me wonder about all the early reviews that made comments like, dull, wool blanket sound and so on. I would bet they did not ever listen with with the boost pads. For a example this review, all the cons/negative conclusions would probably be very different if they would had the opportunity to listen with the boost pads and maybe the micro suede too. https://www.whathifi.com/audioquest/nighthawk/review

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #7,709 of 10,196
Just read it, I agree with most of your findings. The only difference is with the micro suede, right now I am hearing more bass with those than the boost pads.
This could change as I just started to use the boost pads. You are right, they do add some excitement and clarity to the sound.
It makes me wonder about all the early reviews that made comments like, dull, wool blanket sound and so on. I would bet they did not ever listen with with the boost pads. For a example this review, all the cons/negative conclusions would probably be very different if they would had the opportunity to listen with the boost pads and maybe the micro suede too. https://www.whathifi.com/audioquest/nighthawk/review
The boost and the micro suede pads didn't exist back then. They become available with the Carbon versions. The boost pads are the biggest reason why the Carbon versions get slightly better reviews. It is closer to the general public taste: slightly elevated treble gives the impression of increased clarity/detail. Although the NO even with the hybrid pads is a more even sounding headphone than the NH. (Loosing the original charm of the NH with hybrids IMO.)

May 24, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #7,710 of 10,196
I think the best description of the sound is euphonic, in the sens of relaxed, smooth and pleasing. I am not fan of coloration but what is interesting is when equalized, I find the Nighthawk superior to many headphones I have heard, especially the one I have at hand, the Oppo Pm3. The soundstage, separation and details are easily superior. I don't know if it is that low resonance propriety. Soundstage is large and separation is cut-clear and wide. Hard to say what is faulty at this price. Low total harmonic distortion is also an important feature since equalization adds distortion. A little too gentle sounding I would say, other than that, great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back