AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 28, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #7,681 of 10,196
Apr 28, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #7,683 of 10,196
Yeah, she's a catch! Oops, hope her hubby ain't lurking! :wink:

haha... not lurking in this thread...neither of us is perfect, but you could say we are perfect for each other... or deserve each other... or something like that...

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #7,684 of 10,196
haha... I am not the only woman on headfi. I am music lover first. When I was living in Michigan I was happy with my Hifi stereo setup with speakers in two rooms (living room and kitchen). I had one pair of headphones that I used once in a while late at night when the kids were asleep. Now that I live here and am married to a fellow music lover, this has just sort of evolved. I am actually at the point where I am embarrassed to have so much stuff because the house is small. Anyone who comes in would wonder why there are multiple headphones at each of our computer desks. At least it is a little easier to hide the iems and buds, but this is a small house...

I am not going to buy any more headphones. Maybe a couple more iems and buds... maybe...

I do still miss the speakers I left behind in Michigan. I would never have replaced them.
This is the nice thing about headphones though. Small place, and you can have multiple speakers(in this case headphones, or small speakers that goes on your head). No disturbing the neighbors, etc.. Multiple speakers are a bit of work, with large amps, etc.. You would need a dedicated room for it, but headphones are very minimal space taking and doesn't sound large in space and get too loud for the neighbors, yet you hear it just as loud.

You can have multiple headphones with you and takes very small room, take it on the go very easily(which you can't do with speakers, and no way you can take the whole setup with you easily). I heard in Japan headphones were popularized due to people having small spaces and the issue of disturbing the neighbors.

I think I arrived at this hobby and stuck with it for above beneficial reasons. I don't want too many big things around, and really don't wan't large clutter collected over time. I think also with portable music devices now a days, and desktop computer setups, no wonder headphones are getting more and more popular.

Pretty soon, probably headphone sound processing like Smyth Realiser will become more common and will be a good alternative for surround sound speakers(too many things involved, and takes up space), and make thing very very simple with a single headphone that takes up very little room, keeping it very simple(that's what we want in tech, simplicity). Something that keeps cost down for the masses in a reasonable fashion, that serves multiple purposes that include effects like the Smyth Realiser, and be high fidelity for music. It would be interesting to get Smyth Realiser effects in a tiny silicon to be integrated on headphones along with sound standards to hear speaker like effects on the go.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #7,685 of 10,196
What pads are everyone using with their NHs these days? I was a original hybrid pad purist for a while but I'm really liking the ultra suede pads at the moment.
I use ultra suede pads for instrumental based genres such as jazz, classical. Hybrid pads for popular music such as hip hop, r&b, country, and vocal based music

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #7,686 of 10,196
I've only ever had the Hybrids. Never wanted anything else.

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #7,687 of 10,196
I've only ever had the Hybrids. Never wanted anything else.

I would not have bought the other pads I was just lucky to get sent "samples" before they were available to buy. Timing. Skylar was kind enough to reach out to me when I posted about my broken long silver cable. I liked how he was always available to us in this thread...until he left AQ. I wish him great success.

I will try the "Boost" pads soon so I can hear what betula was talking about.

May 2, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #7,688 of 10,196
Wow!!! Waiting for your impressions!!

Haha, that's great. A fellow head-fier pretty much in the same shoes. Can't wait to read your thoughts. :beerchug:

I really didnt have much time to compare yet because im listening to the LCD2-C so much. A few quick notes though:

LCD2-C is way punchier than the NO
Bass is strong in both of them probably the same quantity
Bass quality is better on LCD2-C (who would have known!) and LCD2 got waaay more control - its a planar magnetic overall
LCD2-C sounds clearer and instrument separation is awesome
I feel like theres a little veil over the NO in comparison

May 2, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #7,689 of 10,196
I really didnt have much time to compare yet because im listening to the LCD2-C so much. A few quick notes though:

LCD2-C is way punchier than the NO
Bass is strong in both of them probably the same quantity
Bass quality is better on LCD2-C (who would have known!) and LCD2 got waaay more control - its a planar magnetic overall
LCD2-C sounds clearer and instrument separation is awesome
I feel like theres a little veil over the NO in comparison
Thanks! Is the 2C punchy to a level where it might be fatiguing after hours of listening?

Does the 2C have a similar level of engagement and musicality or it is a step towards neutrality and analytical sound compared to the Nighthawk?

Also, what do you think about the weight of the Audeze?

Thanks!

May 2, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #7,690 of 10,196
Thanks! Is the 2C punchy to a level where it might be fatiguing after hours of listening?

Does the 2C have a similar level of engagement and musicality or it is a step towards neutrality and analytical sound compared to the Nighthawk?

Also, what do you think about the weight of the Audeze?

Thanks!
Its punchy in the good way, i didnt feel any fatigue so far, same goes for the weight. You actually feel that theres more weight but it didnt give me problems so far. I didnt have them on my head for more than 3 hours though.

I think the LCD2-C is more musical although it is pretty neutral. I wouldnt call it analytical although the detail is there if you wanna listen for it. I cant really speak for the Nighthawk, since its too long since Ive had them.

May 8, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #7,691 of 10,196
I have been using the nighthawk carbon for many months now and I use the hybrid pads.

However, I feel some peaks somewhere between 8kHz and 13kHz.
I eq'ed the headphone because I can feel the peaks (easy to notice when singer pronunce "sss" sounds) and it can be annoying... (imho).
I remember that audioquest did not give any measurements above 8kHz because they said they wouldn't be accurate over that frequency...
The frequency response is quite dependant on positioning around that range so it may not be the same for everyone (ears, skull, clamping is soft for me etc...)

However must say that Nighthawk C is almost perfect for me, especially the low distortion. Love them.

May 8, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #7,692 of 10,196
May 15, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #7,694 of 10,196
It is an absolute shame that these a being discontinued. They are magically funky and unique. Many people describe these as laid back and that is the perfect description. The highs are there and clear but are pushed back a little as to not be piercing, the mids are front and center with back up from the perfectly balanced bass. I have trouble listening to any treble that leans towards bright but as mentioned you can clearly hear them without being in your face.

May 16, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #7,695 of 10,196
I wonder if anyone could suggest headphones under £1000 with similarly smooth, warm, laid back treble as the Nighthawks, similarly full and alive mids, but much tighter and more controlled, cleaner bass.
I would suggest the Sony MDR Z7's. Not exactly what you are after, but could be a a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back