AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 28, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #7,666 of 10,196
I own both and I 100% agree with everything !
Totally!
I will add this though : I will keep both headphones.

This is why : in spring time i open my windows and veranda. It let’s much more ambiant noise in.
While the Owls only isolate slightly more than the Hawks, it does make a big difference for me in that a bit less interference with the music makes a big difference.
Another thing : my fridge makes noise. The Owl makes it disappear. The Hawk attenuates it.

Keeping both.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #7,668 of 10,196
Thank you, but it is all quite subjective. Others might have different preferences with different music and ears.

I am obstinately deciding that your subjective preferences are the same as mine :)

Seriously, the way you describe the NH's sound seems spot on to me, so I feel comfortable heeding your thoughts.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #7,669 of 10,196
I am obstinately deciding that your subjective preferences are the same as mine :)

Seriously, the way you describe the NH's sound seems spot on to me, so I feel comfortable heeding your thoughts.

You can spend the money on the 1More H1707 now. Interesting that both colors are available in Canada. Everything seems so expensive there because the numbers are bigger. As an American in the UK, I sometimes don't realize how many dollars I am actually spending when I spend pounds.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #7,670 of 10,196
You can spend the money on the 1More H1707 now. Interesting that both colors are available in Canada. Everything seems so expensive there because the numbers are bigger. As an American in the UK, I sometimes don't realize how many dollars I am actually spending when I spend pounds.
Comparaison with Owls/Hawk????

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #7,671 of 10,196
Comparaison with Owls/Hawk????

I can't really do that right now. Been listening to too many other things. If you have both the Owls and the Hawks, it sounds like you are set... unless you want more portability. I will say they are very comfortable and they do not cause me any listener'fatigue. There is a dedicated thread for them. Fewer than 20 pages I think. You can skim quickly through the first half... no one really had them yet at that point. Slater does a very good write up near the end (but as far as I know has never heard NH or NO)

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #7,672 of 10,196
I can't really do that right now. Been listening to too many other things. If you have both the Owls and the Hawks, it sounds like you are set... unless you want more portability. I will say they are very comfortable and they do not cause me any listener'fatigue. There is a dedicated thread for them. Fewer than 20 pages I think. You can skim quickly through the first half... no one really had them yet at that point. Slater does a very good write up near the end (but as far as I know has never heard NH or NO)
Ok thanks a lot !
Head fi is ruining me.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #7,673 of 10,196
Ok thanks a lot !
Head fi is ruining me.

Head fi has totally ruined me. I get curious when people mention things. At first it was just headphones. I had no interest in iems...then my husband got me started on them. I definitely had no interest in buds...all I could think of was the horrible things that used to come with radios and walkmen etc back in the day. But... my husband started getting into them...and I tried some of his... All this kind of explains the long list in my profile... but when I look at it I am horrified! lol Most of my iems and buds though are very inexpensive.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #7,675 of 10,196
What is the consensus on the best cord to replace the mic'd shorty that comes with the Owl?

People have posted links throughout this thread. I did not get on well with the thick cord that I was sent after my original long one broke. I bought a Sennheiser Hd497 cord from ebay. I had a choice of lengths. So long ago that I doubt the same links would be still up. You can spend more and get a Sennheiser HD700 cable... in some cases I found them to cost more than the HD497 ones even if they were the same! More expensive headphone, more expensive cable, right? :) If it doesn't cost enough some people assume it can't be good. I think mine was about £10. Just study the pictures thoroughly to make sure you like the look of the connectors going into the cup and that the cable appears to be soft and flexible. Some can be stiff.

Mine was sent from China so it took a couple of weeks to get here.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #7,676 of 10,196
Head fi has totally ruined me. I get curious when people mention things. At first it was just headphones. I had no interest in iems...then my husband got me started on them. I definitely had no interest in buds...all I could think of was the horrible things that used to come with radios and walkmen etc back in the day. But... my husband started getting into them...and I tried some of his... All this kind of explains the long list in my profile... but when I look at it I am horrified! lol Most of my iems and buds though are very inexpensive.
Never thought a woman could be a fanatic audiophile !

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #7,677 of 10,196
@inmytaxi

This looks like mine which is very soft and flexible and the connectors are thin enough to go into the cups. This one is only 1.2 meters... the other sizes are gone. I got a 1.8. I think I will get this one as sometimes I would like it to be shorter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FS-Black...nes-New/161804815313?var=&hash=item25ac518bd1

At one time the link above included these sizes 1.2m ,1.5m,1.8m ,2.5m
I wonder if anyone else has them. I wouldn't mind have the 2.5m when I use my tube amp in the living room

found a listing with1.2m and 1.8m
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2M-1-8...hash=item4b17ab75a1:m:mTIn-1NopJnOU1S91Nm0yCg

Every part of it looks exactly like mine. I have been very happy with it. Cheap enough if you don't like it, it will at least be a spare.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #7,678 of 10,196
Never thought a woman could be a fanatic audiophile !

haha... I am not the only woman on headfi. I am music lover first. When I was living in Michigan I was happy with my Hifi stereo setup with speakers in two rooms (living room and kitchen). I had one pair of headphones that I used once in a while late at night when the kids were asleep. Now that I live here and am married to a fellow music lover, this has just sort of evolved. I am actually at the point where I am embarrassed to have so much stuff because the house is small. Anyone who comes in would wonder why there are multiple headphones at each of our computer desks. At least it is a little easier to hide the iems and buds, but this is a small house...

I am not going to buy any more headphones. Maybe a couple more iems and buds... maybe...

I do still miss the speakers I left behind in Michigan. I would never have replaced them.

Apr 28, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #7,679 of 10,196
haha... I am not the only woman on headfi. I am music lover first. When I was living in Michigan I was happy with my Hifi stereo setup with speakers in two rooms (living room and kitchen). I had one pair of headphones that I used once in a while late at night when the kids were asleep. Now that I live here and am married to a fellow music lover, this has just sort of evolved. I am actually at the point where I am embarrassed to have so much stuff because the house is small. Anyone who comes in would wonder why there are multiple headphones at each of our computer desks. At least it is a little easier to hide the iems and buds, but this is a small house...

I am not going to buy any more headphones. Maybe a couple more iems and buds... maybe...

I do still miss the speakers I left behind in Michigan. I would never have replaced them.
Ahhaha waw!!!! Need to find a woman like that !

Apr 28, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #7,680 of 10,196
Ahhaha waw!!!! Need to find a woman like that !

Well...you are online..... we met online because of our love for music...at first we thought the ocean between us would be a deal breaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back