AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 27, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #6,841 of 10,196
Yup, so glad that I bought the Atticus instead of the Eikon.

9922139_thumb.jpg
Nice! I need more time with the Atticus but it was for sure more to my taste than the Eikon. How you finding them compared to your hawks?

I thought the hawks has better technicalities than the Eikon the Eikon has better balance and FR. I didn't really compare Atticus to NH so will be good to hear your impressions.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #6,842 of 10,196
Yeah I've heard the Z1R. It's better than the Z7 for sure. It still has that Sony upper mid glare. I didn't like it at first but the more I listened I quite enjoyed it. My problem with it is the price, it's not as resolving as the HD800, HD6XX or Elear high open headphones do generally have the advantage in technicalities so I have to bear that in mind. I liked them better than the TH900 and it's variants the THX00 was pretty close.

It was hard to judge it's technicalities but I'd put of around the LCD-3F, Ether and HEX but more enjoyable and punchy. I always take a while to appreciate closed phones as 99% of my home listening are open phones. I think if the Sony were around 1k they would be more popular.

Same, I don't hate the Z7 but it definitely has it's issues, I did hate the MA900 which I found a grainy mess once I started grasping sound better. True the Z1R does have a little bit of glare. It is too expensive for what you get, honestly most headphones are. True, there are only a couple closed-backs I put in the absolute top tier, and they are discontinued. The Z1R doesn't quite reach that level for me either while it's really good it fails to surpass or even match it's predecessor the R10(which is one of the only dynamics above the HD 800). A headphone to keep an eye on is the Mysphere 3.1, if it's anything like the K1000(once corrected) but a bit better and more bass then that will be truly world class.

Makes sense. It's been mixed with me, some headphones take me a lot of time to grasp and others not much at all.

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #6,843 of 10,196
Really? I like the MA900 a lot but agree it was grainy, it's been a good 3 years since I've heard one though. The MA900 sounded pretty unique to me it's design made it have a weird soundstage that I liked, it's resolution wasn't really that great, a tier below the AKG K7 variants but I got mine pretty cheap.

those Mysphere 3.1 look interesting, Headphones like that I'd usually use for gaming, I have my HD800 that I use for my PS4 so prob wouldn't look to add those but I'd love to hear them, anything unusual and odd always gets my attention.

I've said it before but I'd love for Skylar to make an open headphone, IMHO the Night Owl was a huge waste of time, it has the same issues as NH but some of them are even further exaggerated. NH was pretty closed, has a closed back sound and a small amount of leak so it was pretty pointless in my opinion to go for the Owl.

The NO also doesn't really improve over the mid range headphones like the THX00, Ether C and Flow an it's just another one in the mix. An open headphone with bio-cellulose drivers(Never before done? I wonder if they are not meant for open housing?) I think closed back headphones are as good as they are going to get and the price is the only thing increasing.

Like an Audeze shape or something completely new but liquid wood, have different styles, get rid of the dorky, halo above the suspension strap and keep the protein leather strap as the only part of the top. Make thicker ear pads too. Distortion will be higher but you also gain so much more with an open design.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #6,845 of 10,196
Really? I like the MA900 a lot but agree it was grainy, it's been a good 3 years since I've heard one though. The MA900 sounded pretty unique to me it's design made it have a weird soundstage that I liked, it's resolution wasn't really that great, a tier below the AKG K7 variants but I got mine pretty cheap.

those Mysphere 3.1 look interesting, Headphones like that I'd usually use for gaming, I have my HD800 that I use for my PS4 so prob wouldn't look to add those but I'd love to hear them, anything unusual and odd always gets my attention.

I've said it before but I'd love for Skylar to make an open headphone, IMHO the Night Owl was a huge waste of time, it has the same issues as NH but some of them are even further exaggerated. NH was pretty closed, has a closed back sound and a small amount of leak so it was pretty pointless in my opinion to go for the Owl.

The NO also doesn't really improve over the mid range headphones like the THX00, Ether C and Flow an it's just another one in the mix. An open headphone with bio-cellulose drivers(Never before done? I wonder if they are not meant for open housing?) I think closed back headphones are as good as they are going to get and the price is the only thing increasing.

Like an Audeze shape or something completely new but liquid wood, have different styles, get rid of the dorky, halo above the suspension strap and keep the protein leather strap as the only part of the top. Make thicker ear pads too. Distortion will be higher but you also gain so much more with an open design.

I liked the MA900 at first but grew to dislike as I got better headphones, I was still fairly new to the hobby when I first got them.

Problem with making an open-back is the driver will likely need to be completely redesigned and will likely not be a bio-cellulose, I haven't seen an open one, maybe their is a reason for it, they may not play well with an acoustically open housing. Well the Nightowl takes less R&D than making a fully open headphone especially considering what is likely substantial driver differences and the likely completely different design it would have. He may even be working on an open back for all we know.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #6,846 of 10,196
letting go my NH tour cans. Anyone interested can PM me. :)

May 1, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #6,847 of 10,196
IMG_0180.jpg

Finally received my alternate pads for the Nighthawk. Let the listening/testing begin.

First up: Portishead with the UltraSuede pads.

May 1, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #6,848 of 10,196
... Let the listening/testing begin.

Kudos to AQ for making the pads easy to swap. These pads are comfy, too.

Holy Buckets! Not a subtle difference in sound. With the Portishead "Dummy" listening sample, it definitely tames the upper-bass/lower-mid bloom, but I need more listening to hear if I like other changes I am observing.

May 1, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #6,849 of 10,196
I personally didn't like the US at all. They sound even more muffled in the lower mids and compressed. The Boost pads sound more uneven than both but more musical and fun. I like the Boost myself.

May 3, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #6,850 of 10,196
Yesterday i was able to test the following Headphones:

Audioquest Nighthawk
Denon AH7200
Focal Elear

I liked the Nighthawk the most of this three headphones in terms of music. Its just subjective but for the sounded non neutral but very fun and dynamic compared to the other Headphones and i even liked the Nighthawk bass more than the bass from the other two headphones.

Does anyone tried them for competitive (foot steps, enemy location etc) and fun gaming/films (atmosphere, bass etc.) maybe compared to other headphones? Im thinking about buying an amp like the Creative Soundblaster X7 to adjust the headphone for my current needing (competitive, fun/films).

Is that a meaningfull idea? And what can you say about the overall quality of this headphones?

Best regards

Patrick

May 3, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #6,851 of 10,196
Yesterday i was able to test the following Headphones:

Audioquest Nighthawk
Denon AH7200
Focal Elear

I liked the Nighthawk the most of this three headphones in terms of music. Its just subjective but for the sounded non neutral but very fun and dynamic compared to the other Headphones and i even liked the Nighthawk bass more than the bass from the other two headphones.

Does anyone tried them for competitive (foot steps, enemy location etc) and fun gaming/films (atmosphere, bass etc.) maybe compared to other headphones? Im thinking about buying an amp like the Creative Soundblaster X7 to adjust the headphone for my current needing (competitive, fun/films).

Is that a meaningfull idea? And what can you say about the overall quality of this headphones?

Best regards

Patrick

Overall quality is subjective and depending on who you ask, but I think the quality is outstanding..........for gaming I use them in a game called Elder Scrolls Online and they're working great with positional queues.

May 3, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #6,852 of 10,196

Finally received my alternate pads for the Nighthawk. Let the listening/testing begin.

The last time I followed this thread on USpads was when Skylar suggested emailing directly to him for requesting purchase of these pads. I still don't see anywhere on the AQ site for USpads availability. How does one buy them?

May 3, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #6,853 of 10,196
Hey, have anyone used a pelican case to store their nighthawks? Is yes which pelican model did you buy?

May 4, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #6,854 of 10,196
The last time I followed this thread on USpads was when Skylar suggested emailing directly to him for requesting purchase of these pads. I still don't see anywhere on the AQ site for USpads availability. How does one buy them?

I ordered mine through Needle Doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back