AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 27, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #6,826 of 10,196
Don't really care if you're convinced or not.....don't want to meet your friends either because honestly I don't want my name getting back to you no way no how in any form.

I know enough pro engineers so not a priority. Btw I believe I brought up my engineering career 3 of your accounts ago

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #6,827 of 10,196
Yes true, I do find it his site has the best information if you bother to find it and figure out what people know what they are talking about. Even then opinions do differ of course. I really like Beyers for example which a lot of people hate, but only the ones that manage to control their treble.

I know a bit about headphones, a lot more than I let on, I have to admit I do play dumb and restrain myself at times as I don't like stirring things up. Its just no one I know that is involved in music production has really even listened to the NH so they don't really an opinion of them. Weird is good. I like weird headphones that are enjoyable to listen to such as the Hawks.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #6,828 of 10,196
I like how he is portraying himself as the voice of reason when meanwhile he is just an angry guy who was just plain nasty to folks in the past and keeps coming back.

Yup. Kinda sad. Definitely annoying.

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #6,829 of 10,196
There's a lot of knowledgeable people on here for sure. I know of many that are scared to speak out...it's sad really..I've never really cared, my honest opinion has gotten me far in my life and I know many who appreciate honesty even if they don't admit it.

Yeah I've seen you mention Beyers a few times. I was a big fan of the 770, it just had a man's sound to it lol their high models like the T1 etc I really don't like but at least people don't don't spread hype about them saying they are gods creation like some headphones. I tend to find Beyers just too aggressive and metallic for my taste but I do appreciate the company a lot they make some solid products and they have great driver matching like all German headphones.

I tend to go for slightly rolled off headphones but I always look for a smooth treble which is hard to come by. I only know of two headphones that have no or very minimumal treble roughness. I did say to Skylar a while back that the NH would be killer with smooth treble and more upper mids I'm still waiting for that headphone. I was hoping the new ZMF Eikon would be my Savior but I was disappointed.

I really like the NH driver I think it has so much potential and superior to the Eikon driver.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #6,831 of 10,196
I don't fully hold back on speaking out, but I do it more than I should. People do appreciate honesty and things do usually go better those times I don't hold back.

I actually don't like T1 a whole lot, the new DT 1990 is much better tuned, smoother highs, darker, and more body. And the DT 48/480 have some of the least fatiguing sound I've heard despite their issues, it's because their magnet design is so good and it's the only hermetically sealed dynamic driver and man do they sound unique and weird compared to everything else.

Truly smooth treble is hard to come by, the HD 650 is one of the few that have pulled it off, there are more resolving headphones with blacker backgrounds but the treble smoothness with the slightly rolled off treble is what makes it so special to so many. I just go for what has high quality treble even if it's a little aggressive, I like a little bit of aggression actually. I did have a slightly peaky HD 650 though, while a other pair I had was silky smooth up top. The best treble and mids I've heard is on the Sony MDR-R10 but that's unobtanium and it does lack a little bit of bass not to mention it has a fundamental design flaw in the voice coil which puts undue strain on the membrane under excursion and thus eventual driver failure which one of my friends actually experienced recently on her bass-light pair, let's just say she was upset, it's not cheap and not really something that can be replaced. Haven't heard the Eikon, but the hype machine is strong on it. I wouldn't be surprised the Hawks driver is better than the Eikons, the Hawks are really good but I mainly had a bit of a niggle with fatigue on them and the occasional issue with the treble peaking on me.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #6,832 of 10,196
I don't fully hold back on speaking out, but I do it more than I should. People do appreciate honesty and things do usually go better those times I don't hold back.

I actually don't like T1 a whole lot, the new DT 1990 is much better tuned, smoother highs, darker, and more body. And the DT 48/480 have some of the least fatiguing sound I've heard despite their issues, it's because their magnet design is so good and it's the only hermetically sealed dynamic driver and man do they sound unique and weird compared to everything else.

Truly smooth treble is hard to come by, the HD 650 is one of the few that have pulled it off, there are more resolving headphones with blacker backgrounds but the treble smoothness with the slightly rolled off treble is what makes it so special to so many. I just go for what has high quality treble even if it's a little aggressive, I like a little bit of aggression actually. I did have a slightly peaky HD 650 though, while a other pair I had was silky smooth up top. The best treble and mids I've heard is on the Sony MDR-R10 but that's unobtanium and it does lack a little bit of bass not to mention it has a fundamental design flaw in the voice coil which puts undue strain on the membrane under excursion and thus eventual driver failure which one of my friends actually experienced recently on her bass-light pair, let's just say she was upset, it's not cheap and not really something that can be replaced. Haven't heard the Eikon, but the hype machine is strong on it. I wouldn't be surprised the Hawks driver is better than the Eikons, the Hawks are really good but I mainly had a bit of a niggle with fatigue on them and the occasional issue with the treble peaking on me.

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #6,834 of 10,196
I took my Nighthawk with me to Can Jam New York and got a chance to listen to the Eikon, The Atticus, and the Nighthawk.

I was extremely impressed by the Eikon, not so much by the Atticus. Zach had probably the best playback gear at the meet but mine is comparable so I'm thinking of springing for the Eikon

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #6,835 of 10,196
I don't think I've heard the 1990 I did here the closed version 1770? Well made headphone. 1990 is attractive

It's the open version of the DT 1770 yes, the DT 1990 is more linear and offers more texture and layering. The Amiron is the other one that shares the same driver tech, has a bit of the Sennheiser softness and sense of space to it mixed with some Beyerness but it's brighter than than the others, less aggressive in general but brighter(6-7khz energy). It's another kinda weird sounding headphone, oddly filled in the space of the Hawks for me. I'm waiting to see what else Skylar releases on the headphone front, I do find AQ is on the right path on headphone development, I prefer the Hawks to the Owls personally. Need to hear the NH Carbons next.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #6,836 of 10,196
I don't think I've heard the 1990 I did here the closed version 1770? Well made headphone. 1990 is attractive

This new website layout sucks! Editing is now a chore.

Anyway

I'll hear the 1990 at some point hopefully soon. Yeah the HD650 is very smooth in the treble but there is a bit of upper mid ringing, only a tad but they can sound a bit shouty with some music in that region compared to say a HD800, NH that have a dip in that area. It's not as bad as the HD600. I do prefer the way the HD650 has done it regardless of the ringing I prefer that over the dip as it does make them more engaging, more energy and presence than most headphones. I can see how a 650 would be a bit peaky to some in that area Senn need a 650 successor with improved bass quality and to flatten out that slightly upper mid forwardness(OMG I'm butchering the HD650)

Yeah the Eikon is getting some hype even on the other forum which is a surprise. I don't think it's that great, sounds muted and compressed with some weird distortion. It has a better Frequency response than the NH but I think the NH is more resolving, better bass texture, cleaner and slightly more musical. Funny thing is the Atticus sounded more like a biocell driver than the Eikon. I'd like to try the Eikon again though it has something pleasing about it.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #6,837 of 10,196
This new website layout sucks! Editing is now a chore.

Anyway

I'll hear the 1990 at some point hopefully soon. Yeah the HD650 is very smooth in the treble but there is a bit of upper mid ringing, only a tad but they can sound a bit shouty with some music in that region compared to say a HD800, NH that have a dip in that area. It's not as bad as the HD600. I do prefer the way the HD650 has done it regardless of the ringing I prefer that over the dip as it does make them more engaging, more energy and presence than most headphones. I can see how a 650 would be a bit peaky to some in that area Senn need a 650 successor with improved bass quality and to flatten out that slightly upper mid forwardness(OMG I'm butchering the HD650)

Yeah the Eikon is getting some hype even on the other forum which is a surprise. I don't think it's that great, sounds muted and compressed with some weird distortion. It has a better Frequency response than the NH but I think the NH is more resolving, better bass texture, cleaner and slightly more musical. Funny thing is the Atticus sounded more like a biocell driver than the Eikon. I'd like to try the Eikon again though it has something pleasing about it.
Yes it does, the only thing I like is that it saves your drafts now. Only positive I've really come across.

Like all headphones it does have it's issues, has a slight upper mid dip(not as bad as the Hawks nor does it have the hole the Elears have) and it does have some 10khz energy, but less than most Beyers. It's on the intimate and dry side. I view it as a better HD 600 as it has a similar sound balance but with a bet less upper mid presence and it's more dynamic and tactile, it's a very addicting headphone imho, especially with the right amp. I absolutely love the DT 1990's mids, they are so musical and addicting, one of the few headphones where I like the mids better than the HD 6xx family, there's something oddly euphoric about it. I am waiting for Senn to release a new headphone in the upper tiers that is a new design. The DT 1990 is a rather robust sounding headphone and the two pads it comes with does change the sound a good amount, so it's really preference which one you will like more.

Yeah, not sure what's going on. I guess it really appeals to some people, many do find something quite pleasing about it. I'll have to listen to it to make a judgment on it. Yeah, the Hawks are actually really resolving and the headphone has a lot of body to it's sound, the mids definitely don't sound thin on the Hawks. Some of the most resolving headphones have some iffy FR responses. Interesting, honestly none of the current bio-cell sounds like bio-cell to me as I heard the original bio-cell first. Have you heard the Sony MDR-Z1R? I actually quite liked the headphone, best thing Sony has released in a long while.

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #6,838 of 10,196
I took my Nighthawk with me to Can Jam New York and got a chance to listen to the Eikon, The Atticus, and the Nighthawk.

I was extremely impressed by the Eikon, not so much by the Atticus. Zach had probably the best playback gear at the meet but mine is comparable so I'm thinking of springing for the Eikon

What did you like about the Eikon?

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #6,839 of 10,196
Funny thing is the Atticus sounded more like a biocell driver than the Eikon.

Yup, so glad that I bought the Atticus instead of the Eikon.

9922139_thumb.jpg

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #6,840 of 10,196
Yes it does, the only thing I like is that it saves your drafts now. Only positive I've really come across.

Like all headphones it does have it's issues, has a slight upper mid dip(not as bad as the Hawks nor does it have the hole the Elears have) and it does have some 10khz energy, but less than most Beyers. It's on the intimate and dry side. I view it as a better HD 600 as it has a similar sound balance but with a bet less upper mid presence and it's more dynamic and tactile, it's a very addicting headphone imho, especially with the right amp. I absolutely love the DT 1990's mids, they are so musical and addicting, one of the few headphones where I like the mids better than the HD 6xx family, there's something oddly euphoric about it. I am waiting for Senn to release a new headphone in the upper tiers that is a new design. The DT 1990 is a rather robust sounding headphone and the two pads it comes with does change the sound a good amount, so it's really preference which one you will like more.

Yeah, not sure what's going on. I guess it really appeals to some people, many do find something quite pleasing about it. I'll have to listen to it to make a judgment on it. Yeah, the Hawks are actually really resolving and the headphone has a lot of body to it's sound, the mids definitely don't sound thin on the Hawks. Some of the most resolving headphones have some iffy FR responses. Interesting, honestly none of the current bio-cell sounds like bio-cell to me as I heard the original bio-cell first. Have you heard the Sony MDR-Z1R? I actually quite liked the headphone, best thing Sony has released in a long while.
Yeah I've heard the Z1R. It's better than the Z7 for sure. It still has that Sony upper mid glare. I didn't like it at first but the more I listened I quite enjoyed it. My problem with it is the price, it's not as resolving as the HD800, HD6XX or Elear high open headphones do generally have the advantage in technicalities so I have to bear that in mind. I liked them better than the TH900 and it's variants the THX00 was pretty close.

It was hard to judge it's technicalities but I'd put of around the LCD-3F, Ether and HEX but more enjoyable and punchy. I always take a while to appreciate closed phones as 99% of my home listening are open phones. I think if the Sony were around 1k they would be more popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back