AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #5,268 of 10,196
I have now reached well beyond 150 hours with my Night Owl headphones. I love both of these ear goggles.
The NO are different in the way one would expect...closed back and semi-sealed...sound stage is a little less wide and deep but very nicely focused...the highs are precise and clear now with no glassy edges, lots of detail and the mids are nigh on to perfect to my ears, no bump. The bass has no blousiness and, although a little less prominent than that of the NH's, still is so super focused and reveals movement in the deep  bass clef as in solos by Christian McBride and other fine bass players. At the same time it seems to allow those precious highs to be more thoroughly revealed than they are in the case of the NH.
Again my vocabulary fails me when trying to describe sound. Both are are first class headphones and are well worth the dollars spent. Somewhere someone said they thought that the NO's sound like a $2000 piece of gear. To me they both sound like they should be a higher price. Iwill now commit the most heinous of crimes....I like both of them more than any of the Sennheiser upper echelon including the much vaunted 800's. I have not heard the 800S so I can't comment on it. 
There! I said it! and I will go one step further...I think some of the pro reviewers feel the same but dare not say so for fear of losing some business. They cover it by saying something like...I really like the NH's but I don't know really why. I only know they did something remarkable. And I think some say nothing at all for the same reason. 
These are both remarkable listening instruments and I further believe Skylar Gray deserves far more praise for his creations than he is getting. A shame! I will say it though...super work Skylar! Your headphones have lit up the life of this 8 decade old dude. Thank you so much.

P.S. But I hate the cable on the NH and the new cable n the NO is about a meter too short! :wink: 

Glad to hear the Nightowls sound good. I am placing order soon!

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #5,269 of 10,196
  I've been looking at new headphones to come off of my HD 598s. I got a Schiit Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber DAC.

My music taste probably won't be of much help to determine of these are right for me. I go from Pink Floyd to Van Halen to Poets of the Fall to Katie Melua to Blackmill to Vader and then back to Beach Boys. I listen to everything.

I also came from HD-598s, some years ago.

Trust me on this one... Your next set of cans: HD-650.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #5,271 of 10,196
I'm running the NightHawks in balanced mode with my Pono Player. I'm using a Headphone Lounge Silver Litz Type 2 cable and the sound is spectacular. Wide soundstage and great detail! The headphones almost disappear... amazing!

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #5,272 of 10,196
  I've been looking at new headphones to come off of my HD 598s. I got a Schiit Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber DAC.

These ones caught my eyes the most out of everything else in the price range since I'd like a better bottom end on my headphones. I tend to like open back for the sound stage mostly and I love it on my 598, but the reviews I've read no one's really commented on what the sound stage on these is like. I assume they're not going to be as wide but is it at least very distinguishable? Slightly distinguishable?

My music taste probably won't be of much help to determine of these are right for me. I go from Pink Floyd to Van Halen to Poets of the Fall to Katie Melua to Blackmill to Vader and then back to Beach Boys. I listen to everything.

Ok, so I have a pair of 598s which I've had for...four or five years. I use them for mixing/mastering/producing. I have to be honest, I was never really taken with them. They are accurate but quite bass-light (to be expected) and I have never (not once) had my attention drawn to their soundstage.

The Nighthawks are a completely different animal, very different sound signature. You've already read people enthusing about them, and I love them to bits. I have listened to the 650s and while I can appreciate they are very good, very accurate, they are not the headphones for me -  the Nighthawks suit me right down to the ground. With such a big contrast between the Senns and the NHs I think you really should track down a pair and audition them. I would hope you would love them but I cannot wholeheartedly encourage you to buy them if you like the 598s.

Soundstage-wise, I notice it on the Nighthawks (as opposed to not really noticing it on the 598s). I could definitely have it a little wider but they are certainly not a set of cans that puts all the sound 'between your ears' or 'inside your head'.

I do urge you to give them a try though - they are stunning and just lovely to listen to. Also super comfortable. I would also say that I have yet to encounter a genre of music that does not sound fantastic on the 'hawks.

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #5,273 of 10,196
... and the new cable n the NO is about a meter too short! :wink: 

I think it's the same type delivered with the NH Carbon and I agree to your rating. Unfortunately my dealer told me today that there is a delay in delivery of the "simple" 3m long NH cables (which I want to try out with the NH Carbon). He could not tell me when they will arrive. I hope they are still available at all.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #5,274 of 10,196

I think it's the same type delivered with the NH Carbon and I agree to your rating. Unfortunately my dealer told me today that there is a delay in delivery of the "simple" 3m long NH cables (which I want to try out with the NH Carbon). He could not tell me when they will arrive. I hope they are still available at all.

I am not certain the old almost 3M long cable will still be avaiable since they are having problems with it. The silver oxidizes  and causes drop outs so you only hear one channel. I tried using a silver polishing cloth and even 000 steel wool t clean the connections to no avail. Disappointing! The balanced cable they built for me went the same way and I got no replacement for it though it stopped working properly after a few short months, at  a cost of nearly $200 Canadian counting delivery. Very disappointing. Luckily the headphones are both top notch!

Leo

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #5,275 of 10,196
As much as I enjoy these headphones, I'm disappointed AudioQuest haven't properly addressed the cable issues. Especially when their entire business model is based around making high quality cables and the NH itself is well built.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #5,276 of 10,196
Has anyone emailed Audioquest  (reference buying the new Ultra Suede / Boost pads for the Nighthawk) and heard back from them yet . . ? i followed Skylar's advice and emailed Audioquest a few days ago to try and order a pair of the Ultra Suede ear pads but have not heard back from them yet , i guess they're busy , . . i'm just keen to get hold of the new ear pads.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #5,277 of 10,196
I did. Here is the response:

"The velour pads are the original pads with the original NightHawk.  The original pads have two inner panels of fabric that are velour or also called microfiber.  The Ultrasuede pads are not available for sale yet."

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #5,278 of 10,196
  I'm running the NightHawks in balanced mode with my Pono Player. I'm using a Headphone Lounge Silver Litz Type 2 cable and the sound is spectacular. Wide soundstage and great detail! The headphones almost disappear... amazing!

I recently received my balanced cable from Impact Audio and have been using it with my balanced amp. There is no doubt that the quality of sound has went up a step or two. The bass has hardened up with more speed also separation of instruments have improved ! So for me the added cost was well worth the price of admission, being that I already had a balanced amp.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #5,279 of 10,196
  I recently received my balanced cable from Impact Audio and have been using it with my balanced amp. There is no doubt that the quality of sound has went up a step or two. The bass has hardened up with more speed also separation of instruments have improved ! So for me the added cost was well worth the price of admission, being that I already had a balanced amp.

What amp are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back