AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #5,296 of 10,194
I havent had any issues with the cables as yet, and i made a bad move with the fragile one trying to insert the cable into the headphone, bending the cable badly at that point. I have also had the other cable literally in knots. No issues yet, and I hope not to have any. But I ordered a cable from Peterek, so hope to get it soon.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #5,297 of 10,194
To add to my other post, That is one of the few ergonmic issues of the Nighthawk. Its not easy to just put the cables in at the headphone end. I have had to search for the hole per say and it can be a touch bothersome. All of the other detachable cabled headphones I have had, had no such issue. That includes two sonys and an oppo.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #5,298 of 10,194
Not the adapter, I'm using the 3.5mm for the chord mojo. It's just the cables themselves seem extremely finicky to the touch and the channels will cut in and out until I get it to a good position and leave it.

If I do contact audioquest I'm hoping that I can somehow persuade them into replacing the cables with the newer model NH cables. Hopefully the design on those improved.

@dudlew if I had done that with mine id understand. But a first time use is just What

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #5,299 of 10,194
These headphones are great but I have one issue that just made me pretty mad.

The stock headphone cables, I knew I was taking a risk, but I didn't know they were this bad. I haven't had my headphones for 2 weeks and the cable is already giving me problems. So I opted for the other cable it came with and very first use, same issue. I've made sure to be extremely delicate with both of them as I'm in college was lack the money for additional cables at the moment.

Is there any known fix for this or feasibly priced cables I can save up for?

I had the same problem with both the cable and the 1/4 adapter. I just bought cables off Amazon for like $19.98 each.

They use the same cables as the Oppo PM-1 and Sennheiser HD700, but also the Sol Republic HD. Something strange, if you search HD700 or Oppo the cable will come up for $49 all the way to $119, but if you search for Sol Republic you get exactly the same cable brand name and all for as low as $11.99, lol.

*edit*

A few options:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Republic-Master-Tracks-Headphone/dp/B00LMAAS0Y/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1478776166&sr=8-43&keywords=sol+republic+cable

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Republic-Master-Tracks-Headphone/dp/B00PZGT9A6/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1478776056&sr=8-30-spons&keywords=sol+republic+cable&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Upgrade-Republic-Master-Headphone/dp/B01G878JO2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1478776056&sr=8-17&keywords=sol+republic+cable

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Republic-Master-Tracks-Headphone/dp/B00YI89ZQ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478775968&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=sol+republic+cable&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KBBR8T4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478776301&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd700+cable

https://www.amazon.com/copper-Replacement-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphone/dp/B012KD6T5Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1478776301&sr=8-8&keywords=sennheiser+hd700+cable

Of course all this is unnecessary if the new Audioquest cable kicks ass and I'll definitely be getting several if that's the case

You may wish to reference some of the posts in this thread like the above quote for alternative cable ideas.

Pretty much anything that fits Oppo PM-1 and Sennheiser HD700,, or Sol Republic HD can be used.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #5,300 of 10,194
Not the adapter, I'm using the 3.5mm for the chord mojo. It's just the cables themselves seem extremely finicky to the touch and the channels will cut in and out until I get it to a good position and leave it.

If I do contact audioquest I'm hoping that I can somehow persuade them into replacing the cables with the newer model NH cables. Hopefully the design on those improved.

@dudlew if I had done that with mine id understand. But a first time use is just What

One thought I had...was to swap the left and right channel at the headphones themselves....the problem should follow and go to the other driver.  Doesn't fix anything..but you'll eliminate the headphone connection as a possible problem.  You may have already done this already.

Bern

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #5,301 of 10,194
I've been lucky, I guess. No problems with the cables so far, and I'm not exactly delicate with Nighthawk either. I often use these bad boys around the house and outdoors while tending to my yard. On another note: these headphones have survived the post-"new toy" phase of ownership, and now that the euphoria of a promising new purchase has faded, and I've once again reclaimed my sobriety, I'm more convinced than ever: the Nighthawk is a keeper.  In fact, these cans may have cured me of a chronic case of "upgraditis." Typically, after three or four months of living with a pair of headphones, I grow a little restless and start to hear things in a more critical light. But the Nighthawk is bucking that trend; in fact, it's the first pair of headphones that I've ever owned not to fall into the "familiarity breeds at least a little contempt" category. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #5,304 of 10,194
Is this still a problem on new units? I want to buy these but I'd they can't include decent cables then I'm not gunna waste my money. 350 is a lot to dish out for something that's got junk cables.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #5,305 of 10,194
  Is this still a problem on new units? I want to buy these but I'd they can't include decent cables then I'm not gunna waste my money. 350 is a lot to dish out for something that's got junk cables.

I've very satisfied with cables on the new Nighthawk Carbon and Nightowl Carbon. Only problem is the price is about double at $699.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #5,306 of 10,194

350 is a bargain for the NH even without cables.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #5,308 of 10,194

350 is a bargain for the NH even without cables.

350 for headphones and the company includes garbage cables isn't acceptable.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #5,310 of 10,194
Folks, the stock cable is not garbage. In fact, it's Audioquest's solid core PCS+ copper conductors similar to their Castle Rock speaker cabling. 

Because it's solid conductors, that makes the cable not as flexible/sturdy as a stranded conductor cable (which their new ones are, in their new headphones). 

To me, solid conductors sound better so I actually like the older version. You just have to be a bit careful with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back