AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 23, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #886 of 2,514
As wasapi works fine for me I have not invested the time required to get asio up and running so can't comment

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #887 of 2,514
Quote:
As wasapi works fine for me I have not invested the time required to get asio up and running so can't comment

I have that kind of a long relationship with KS so it could be an unconciousness worry about this relationship breaking up. That thought bothered me a little, I think now it's gone 
regular_smile .gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #888 of 2,514
Hmm...

I wish my DF didn't hum when connected to an amp...

To make sure i'm not being dumb, it is simply a case of putting the Windows volume up to max to activate the line out mode, yes?

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #889 of 2,514
I can confirm my DF into Valhalla has no hum, dead quiet. Windows volume set at max.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #891 of 2,514
Is Dragonfly comparable to Xonar, Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Prelude, Sound Blaster Z? Is sound on same level or are hi-fi soundcards better?

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #892 of 2,514
It would depend on the card as to which may be better. Remember the form factor.....This is a portable unit. Sound cards are not generally portable.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #893 of 2,514
Quote:
It would depend on the card as to which may be better. Remember the form factor.....This is a portable unit. Sound cards are not generally portable.

Yes i know this is a portable unit. But if we compare sound quality? So it is not better than Xonar Essence series or Sound blaster Z series?

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #895 of 2,514
How much DF is sounding better with this AMP?
Significantly better. Air, bloom, texture. I bought the DF for portable use. For desktop, I usually use the Bifrost into Valhalla. For no good reason, I switched to DF into Valhalla and listened to it while doing other things, then found I kept stopping and listening to whole albums. Not scientific, but always a good sign. So I'm thinking the DF is OK as a portable amp but way better than OK as a dac.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #896 of 2,514
Quote:
Significantly better. Air, bloom, texture. I bought the DF for portable use. For desktop, I usually use the Bifrost into Valhalla. For no good reason, I switched to DF into Valhalla and listened to it while doing other things, then found I kept stopping and listening to whole albums. Not scientific, but always a good sign. So I'm thinking the DF is OK as a portable amp but way better than OK as a dac.

+1 on this...Great value for the DAC portion...

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #897 of 2,514
Quote:
Is Dragonfly comparable to Xonar, Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Prelude, Sound Blaster Z? Is sound on same level or are hi-fi soundcards better?

I have the Dragonfly and Xonar Essence STX in my possession and have heard the Auzentech's X-fi Forte and at a friend's house.

The dragonfly is on par if not better than the Essence STX.  The Auzentech's Forte is not as good as the the STX or dragonfly.  
Your particular headphone model will determine which source sounds better.
My AKG K702 sounds better on the STX whereas my Sennheiser HD600 sounds better on the Dragonfly.  It's all about the synergy!

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #898 of 2,514
DF and 650's is a very nice combo!

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #899 of 2,514
I love my little DRAGONFLY....

so I spent some time listening to NORAH JONES
comparing 24/96 to REDBOOK.  And YES, there is
a difference, but not thaaaaat much to where I would
want to use the extra disk space to store Hi-Res audio.

Again, YES there was a DIFFERENCE (her voice 
sounded fuller and closer to the mic, I could hear a
little more texture on instruments). But REALLY???
Do I want to spend more money on hi-res music 
and worry about switching to the right settings, blah blah blah

it makes me think of watching a 3-D movie.... it's kinna cool
at first, but after about 20 minutes it's just a hassle.

DRAGONFLY = great quality product

HI RES MUSIC = gimmick

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #900 of 2,514
I am new to the whole audiophile world but I have to say I am extremely pleased with mine.  When my long time audiophile dad listened it through my HD25-II's he was blown away.  I am hearing things in tracks that I never heard before.  Even Spotify has greatly improved. Amazing! 
darthsmile.gif

Just in case people were wondering: to get the colors changing correctly in Windows you need to be using WASAPI (Wouldn't work until I set it to 24 bit)/Kernel Streaming/etc.  Otherwise Windows will upscale to the quality you set it to and the color will be stuck there because it doesn't know better.

(Edit) Does anyone know what the buffer length in foobar does?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back