AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #918 of 2,514
Quote:
hello, ive never had a DAC o even an AMP, i just bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentums 1 week ago, and i have a macbook pro 15", i would hear a HUGE difference in my itunes ALAC songs? or it is not worth the 250 dollars? thank you :)

Congrats on those Momentums, would love to get my hands on a pair sometime.  Here's a thought: enjoy them straight out of your MBP's headphone jack for about 6 months (so you can really get a feel for the sound - which will be good) and then when ready to appreciate the next level of sound, try the dragonfly. If I had bought my dragonfly at the same time as buying a good set of headphones, I wouldn't have been able to really appreciate each (headphone and DAC) for what they do.

Just a thought, that's all. I'm new to this hobby too!

LAmitchell

p.s. man, those Momentums are beautiful!

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #919 of 2,514
Quote:
hello, ive never had a DAC o even an AMP, i just bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentums 1 week ago, and i have a macbook pro 15", i would hear a HUGE difference in my itunes ALAC songs? or it is not worth the 250 dollars? thank you :)

You'll hear a big difference.  Both the DAC and the amp sections are dramatically better than the Macbook's.  I gave the DF to my nephew for Christmas and he heard a big difference just with his walking-around earbuds.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #920 of 2,514
I have an E17 + E09K that I use quite a bit. With the Amperiors & IE80's that I also own, sound is dramatically improved on both - say between 50 to 60%, yet with the Momentum's there's maybe a 20% difference. Now again all these things are subjective, however I'd expect similar results from any DAC / AMP. 

My conclusion, as well as other users, is that the Momentum's do not need amplifying or a separate dac in order to sound good, if you already have one, then great - use it. If you don't, shelling out 2/3 (or more) of the cost of the headphones will not give a huge difference in sound.

Jan 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #925 of 2,514
Quote:

Let us know how it goes please!

I have one, ordered through ListenUp.  ListenUp was fine but I was disappointed with the DragonTail's quality unfortunately.
$17 is inexpensive for an AudioQuest product but I expected more.  The DragonFly represents such an excellent value product, I was hoping for more of the same.
It still has a sizable gap between the DragonFly and DragonTail, I wish they had extended the DragonTail housing to close that gap.
The cable itself seems generic and inexpensive.
There are some rough mold marks near where the cable enters the DragonTail housings.
To be honest, I think the Mediabridge product is better made and works fine, even though it wasn't made from secret alloys to block rays harmful to audio from the planet "Distorton" ...

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-USB-Extension-Cable-A-Female/dp/B002KNI796/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357067488&sr=8-1

Maybe I just received a bad early unit.  Other DragonTail owners, please let us know if you have the same or different observations.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #927 of 2,514
Quote:
I have one, ordered through ListenUp.  ListenUp was fine but I was disappointed with the DragonTail's quality unfortunately.
$17 is inexpensive for an AudioQuest product but I expected more.  The DragonFly represents such an excellent value product, I was hoping for more of the same.
It still has a sizable gap between the DragonFly and DragonTail, I wish they had extended the DragonTail housing to close that gap.
The cable itself seems generic and inexpensive.
There are some rough mold marks near where the cable enters the DragonTail housings.
To be honest, I think the Mediabridge product is better made and works fine, even though it wasn't made from secret alloys to block rays harmful to audio from the planet "Distorton" ...

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-USB-Extension-Cable-A-Female/dp/B002KNI796/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357067488&sr=8-1

Maybe I just received a bad early unit.  Other DragonTail owners, please let us know if you have the same or different observations.

Hard to believe the dragontail is so cheap some of their other cables are high quality and very expensive.  The DF for what it does is very reasonably priced and a quality product.  Early on I bought a cheap media bridge off Amazon and it works perfectly well.  I see little reason given above to go out and buy the dragontail.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #929 of 2,514
Quote:
Hard to believe the dragontail is so cheap some of their other cables are high quality and very expensive.  The DF for what it does is very reasonably priced and a quality product.  Early on I bought a cheap media bridge off Amazon and it works perfectly well.  I see little reason given above to go out and buy the dragontail.

I was surprised and disappointed.  I have some other AudioQuest cables and the quality is much better.  Like I said, maybe I just got a bad example so anyone else with one on hand please chime in.  It's made in China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back