AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #856 of 2,514
You find $250 to be expensive for a good dac and headphone amp ?

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #857 of 2,514
So any guide how to make the sample rate switch automatically with foobar? I'm running this of windows 8, seems to work fine when its connected. Tough right after connecting it to windows 8 pc there is some clicking, but it goes away fast.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #858 of 2,514
For me sample rate switches automatically in foobar (44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96) but I'm on Win7-64, don't know it that makes any difference. I use WASAPI (push) and the latest version has fixed the problem where the buffer had to be set to the minimum so I now run with a buffer of 3380 ms. If I play 176.4 or 192 I have to use the sample rate converter and downsample to 88.2 or 96 as the Dragonfly don't support >96

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #860 of 2,514
Could have missed this in the thread, but can anyone advise me on the power consumption of the Dragonfly, especially connected to a portable device such as mobile phone? Just curious if it would seriously shortened battery life, thanks.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #861 of 2,514
I got the sampling rate swithing to work, tried multiple output options in foobar, wasapi(push), and (event). KS, ASIO4ALL, where i couldnt select dragonfly as my audio divice for some reason.

Got some ratling and few soundproblems with wasapi (push), and KS. Wasapi (event) seems to be sounding smooth. And yes, i'm runing windows 8.

If I play 176.4 or 192 I have to use the sample rate converter and downsample to 88.2 or 96 as the Dragonfly don't support >96

Dragonfly should downsample 192 on its own, @least that's what it says on the box.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #862 of 2,514
Quote:
Could have missed this in the thread, but can anyone advise me on the power consumption of the Dragonfly, especially connected to a portable device such as mobile phone? Just curious if it would seriously shortened battery life, thanks.

I think it has been mentioned that it draws too much power to work with smartphones and tablets. 2 new versions are in the works for 2013 for use with Android and Apple devices.

Quote:
Dragonfly should downsample 192 on its own, @least that's what it says on the box.

I'm sure it didn't do that for me but I'll have to check again when next I'm home as I don't have any >96 music on my pc's local drive.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #863 of 2,514
Interestingly the Dragonfly is picked up by my Note 2, can confirm that as speaker audio is disabled, but it does quirky things - no audio, and playback is at 2x speed... consider it a loss for that...

However, I have to say, only a few minutes of use in (only unpacked it a few moments ago) that this really is Impressing me! - is driving my AKG Q701s nicely...

...Now to find a 6.5 to 3.5mm adapter to try the HD800s ;o)

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #864 of 2,514
Quote:
..Now to find a 6.5 to 3.5mm adapter to try the HD800s ;o)

Dragonfly is able to drive the HD800 to quite  adequate volume, but it obviously falls short compare to even  moderate priced headphone amps designed for full size headphone such as the Headamp GLite.

--mark

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #866 of 2,514
Verber...

Yes, I did think that'd probably be the case (only so much oomph you can squeeze out of a small package!) - I may try the DF in line out 'mode', and connect to my Burson - just to see if it is the amp, or the DAC section of the Burson that makes the HD800s sound thin [in my opinion of course]...

...I hope that the new product line isn't too low powered (seeing that we're going from a 500ma bus to a 150ma one...)

...Either way I think i'll be signing myself up ;o)

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #867 of 2,514
Dragonfly is able to drive the HD800 to quite  adequate volume, but it obviously falls short compare to even  moderate priced headphone amps designed for full size headphone such as the Headamp GLite.

--mark

Having looked on the Audioquest website, I can't find any reference o the Dragonfly having an amp function?

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #868 of 2,514
Quote:
Having looked on the Audioquest website, I can't find any reference o the Dragonfly having an amp function?

They state:

1. Drives Headphones Directly
  2. Variable Output Drives Powered Speakers or Power Amp

This combination indicates there is an amp. In fact, if you would read what has been written here, or on the website, one of the import features is that the "volume control" under OSX (maybe windows, I haven't paid attention) works in the analog rather than the digital domain when playing through the dragonfly which is a good thing.

--Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back