AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 13, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #841 of 2,514
I tried the Dragonfly out of my Vaunix USB hub (which isolates and provides much better power) and didn't notice any huge improvement. I reckon it'd be more worth it to spend the money on a better DAC than trying to improve the Dragonfly.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #842 of 2,514

A power for DAC is a basis of a very good sound! (as well as a full galvanic isolation from the computer)
and not only on a power, but also an information channel of transfer of D+/D- and really full disconnection from the computer earth

Sounding became more analog, deep, detailed and smooth at the same time, as a whole a sound from more expensive level.
I in the main system have two DAC's: Benchmark DAC-1 and DPA Enlightenment DX32 also I can claim that the AQ DragonFly sounds now at the level of these devices.
For the second system amazing result (much more, than I expected to receive)!!!

p.s.
Vaunix USB-Hub the first: this device is not include ADum4160, second: power Vaunix  12-24W AC-DC wall adator in my setup really Low noise (include Schottky diode) PSU.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #843 of 2,514
Very interesting experiment.

Has anyone tried this nice little DAC with Brainwavz HM5 or Fischer 003, or any clones of these kind?

I would really like to know if it is worth for my relative cheap HM5. I want just to get straight the best DAC/AMP for my headphones so I could worry less and just listen to the music.

Dragonfly looks fantastic in any aspect for me.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #844 of 2,514
I love this little DAC.

After listening to it everyday for a month, 
I did an A/B with my MacBook's HEADPHONE OUT (built in dac).
WOW, what a huge difference: The Dragonfly is so
much more FOCUSED, and just generally more fun
to listen to for longer periods of time.  

Now I'm curious to know, having very little DAC experience,
how much would I have to spend on my next DAC so
that there would be an immediate "WOW!!" experience
going from DRAGONFLY to the new dac? And what would
those differences be?

I

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #845 of 2,514
Quote:
I love this little DAC.

how much would I have to spend on my next DAC so
that there would be an immediate "WOW!!" experience
going from DRAGONFLY to the new dac? And what would
those differences be?

I

We need a can or worms emoticon....
biggrin.gif

I would peruse the source forums and get a feel for the variety of options....Single ended, balanced, Chip variety, USB or not, etc.....Let the games begin!

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #846 of 2,514
Quote:
I love this little DAC.

how much would I have to spend on my next 
I

The next step up in a DAC will not be as much of a difference as going from the MacBook audio out to the Dragonfly.  The MacBook audio is truly terrible.  Even my daughter who doesn't care about SQ notices the difference.  A better DAC will give you a tighter bass, more detail, a better sense of space.

--Mark

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #848 of 2,514
Quote:

The next step up in a DAC will not be as much of a difference as going from the MacBook audio out to the Dragonfly.  The MacBook audio is truly terrible.  Even my daughter who doesn't care about SQ notices the difference.  A better DAC will give you a tighter bass, more detail, a better sense of space.

--Mark

Thank you Mark, that pretty much quells my curiosity for a while.  Now if you had said going from the Dragonfly to a new Dac would be mind-blowing, my bank account would be crying right now.
beyersmile.png

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #849 of 2,514
Next step up can be mindblowing but then your bank account WILL cry. At the last Danish meet I heard a truly mindblowing dac compared to anything I have previously heard but the pricetag was over USD10,000.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #850 of 2,514
Quote:
Thank you Mark, that pretty much quells my curiosity for a while.  Now if you had said going from the Dragonfly to a new Dac would be mind-blowing, my bank account would be crying right now.
beyersmile.png

The .01% of head-fier's that are the ultra ears group might be able to justify the big $$ DAC's for themselves. For me, once I got above about $1500 USD I am not sure I am able to really discern the difference. (40 years of metal might do that..
rolleyes.gif
 )  At that point you begin to reach the law of diminishing returns. Does it get better? Yes, is it "Mindblowing"? No, it is subtle. So, should you drop another 2X or more to get "Subtle? Your decision.

Considering the great review's that are being generated by the DF from TAS, Stereophile, HiFi+ (Cover photo's on all mags!) and the like it has clearly hit a sweet spot for the audio elite. No small thing given their picky demeanor and access to about anything they want.

I have certainly enjoyed it now for several months. Sometimes for fun I will put it in the loop on the main system and I certainly enjoy it even with the primary gear. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #851 of 2,514
i dont know why a dac in the $200 range is considered "affordable."

affordable is definitely sub-$100.

This is head-fi and affordable is definitely a relative term. $250 is definitely a reasonable candidate for that designation. You're talking about a place where people regularly spend $500+ for headphones and amps.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #852 of 2,514
Yeah $250 is very acceptable for something that is both a very good dac and a perfectly fine amp for most real world headphones. There is allways going to be a premium price for something this small as well

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #853 of 2,514
Yeah $250 is very acceptable for something that is both a very good dac and a perfectly fine amp for most real world headphones. There is allways going to be a premium price for something this small as well

Personally, size is worth a huge premium to me. If it had a built in battery so I could use it with my S3 it would be perfect.

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #855 of 2,514
$250 seems expensive for what it does.Though i have not heard it yet.Checking out FAQs on the website.You have to configure the sample rate in your PC according to the music data sample rate.Apparently J River and Foobar does it automatically.Windows Vista does not support it.Windows 7 does not support 88.2 kHz.Occasional and/or consistant clicks or drop outs with Windows 8 and RT.Microsoft is working toward a fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back